SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 45 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a place to work if you are looking for work - life balance (in 27 reviews)

• There is absolutley NO WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 9 reviews)

"Amateurish management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers, nice physical plant, snacks, etc. You actually get pretty good feeling about the place during the interviews and when you first go in.

Cons

Not only does the management has no respect for the employees, they seem to be proud of it. It's like the sales staff are a bunch of animals in a zoo, for the management's entertainment. The self-worshiping punks in management were so drunk with their idiotic little small-time power trips, I could have EASILY sold TWICE as much as I did if it weren't for them. Instead, I sat there and pissed off customer after customer after customer and never heard from them again.

If you need to take a couple of hours off to see a doctor because you're sick, or a dentist because you have a toothache, they make you feel like a criminal; it doesn't matter if you have the Leave to take. They want you to work during lunch, work on holidays or weekends, and take a load of work home every night. You have NO life. You get together with some co-workers after work, and all everybody talks about is how they hate their jobs and how stupid the management is, especially the CEO. He is a laughingstock, an absolute idiot.

Advice to Management

Many of your customers have advanced degrees and are successful, educated, intelligent people. They do NOT like high-pressure, "car salesman" sales pitches, ringing their phones off the wall day after day after day with some stupid sales gimmick. I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time a solid lead told me to forget it and slammed down the phone. Respect your sales personnel as experienced, skilled professionals. Let them work, let them live their lives, and SW will make twice as much money.

"Order Entry"

Former Employee - Web Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Web Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly environment
    -Free Lunch 1 day out of the week
    -Room to grow within the company
    -Progressive company, socially

Cons

-We would work super long hours, especially at end of the month.
    -The method for entering the orders was outdated
    -Many errors can happen and you will be blamed for it

Advice to Management

Migrate to different system of entering order. Focus on getting employees out on time more often.

"Leaving any day now..."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a used car salesman, this is a great place to work. Cool co-workers. Food. Decent benefits. You can make good $ here.

Cons

Poorly managed on the sales side. Instead of showing value in some great products, we are forced by management (or maybe I should say micro-management) to pressure existing customers into buying right this second. It is a terrible approach andis a complete turn-off to customers who you are working hard to build relationships with.

Advice to Management

Show more faith in the abilities of the people on the sales floor. Resist the urge to stick your noses in every deal we are working just because you want it to close a day sooner. Let us use our unique abilities/personalities to be successful instead of turning us into robots who act like annoying used car salesmen. Micromanagement is ineffective and makes this place suck to work at. It kills morale and is demotivating.

5. "Great Place to Work Really Enjoy it."

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

5% 401K Match, Reasonably Fun Atmosphere to work in. Lots of great people to work with. Lunch Tuesday and Friday, Events put on by corporate services.

Cons

Lunch every Tuesday and Friday, lots of food. Makes you fat.
    Potential long time for promotional growth. The Company needs to adapt to its fast growth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing to make improvements with training, etc.... It will pay off in the end. Keep investing in training your employees they really want to see you invest in them.

"I have had a great experience at SolarWinds. It has been everything it was promised to be."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a simple model. Download leads come in, develop pipeline, and work to close your opps down. Rinse and repeat.

Cons

Some people are surprised when they can't make it work doing it their way. The pace is fast and there is not a lot of margin for going against the model.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lehi, UT

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace and good pay for top performers. Key word top performers (4 or 5 people) AE's only.

Cons

Micro-micro-micro managing. Did I mention micro managing? Any deal is actually worked by your manager who also asks for updates literally every 15 minutes. This is frustrating since we use a CRM tool that has the EXACT same information.

This is high pressure sales, sell it today, play games with your customers and give discounts and door prizes to incent purchase. Just ask any IT professional that you're selling to. They know the "Solarwinds way".

No real loyalty to employees. Everyone is against each other, rep against rep, manager against manager and everyones revolting against the director. Watch your back because shots are constantly fired. If you're not in the "cool kids' club, you will not make it here long term. Period.

Zero work life balance. New Year's Eve we were held hostage until 8:30-9:00 simply to punish us for not selling more. (Keep in mind regular office hours are 8-5). End of quarters are set up to embarrass low performers.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen. It's all about them, just ask 'em.

"Intense"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Free food twice a week, nice office building in a decent part of town, some really good people

Cons

You really better like Jesus BC the CEO sends out some AMAZINGLY inappropriate emails if you are not a born again. This really is a factory like mentality and you need stamina to keep up. If you are looking for a hip start-up environment, you should look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Fire Kevin. The CEO has lost all credibility with his employees. There have been some solid new hires lately (New CMO, New Head of Product) who are both really good. Listen to them.

"Former Account Manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (Less than a year)

Pros

Money. Good co-workers. Cari. There are 2 free lunches per week plus quite often free breakfast. Gym on site. Bonuses.

Cons

The atmosphere is a frat boy inspired pressure cooker. It can feel like you are constantly ramming product down people's throats.

Advice to Management

Listen to the problems that your employees are voicing. Don't make drastic changes that will set up your employees for failure.

"High transaction shop"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment that is constantly changing. Good amount of sales leads coming in. Products are fully functional for 30 days for free, so interesting and deep questions from demos.

Cons

Don't care much about people, and leadership constantly shows that everyone is replaceable. A lot of arrogance in leadership and phycological games.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the phycological games with employees and build an environment where people are actually valued.

"Listen to the reviews and think twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

- There are some really smart folks that are just fantastic to work with. Those people make it a joy to be there. Unfortunately, the toxic ones ruin it for everyone.
     - The offices are wonderful. Like every other review, there are 2 lunches provided a week--albeit not terribly healthy lunches, but it's definitely nice to have it as an option.
     - They've hired in some new leaders, so hopefully they can keep them and start to turn the ship to make SolarWinds a great company and place to work. While their ability to hit their numbers has always been impressive, it's been at the expense of real progress -- lots of hamsters in wheels generating power for the almighty lead machine.
     - Benefits are good. Insurance is good with domestic partner benefits.

Cons

- Culture is toxic. I was warned about it before taking the job, but was assured from insiders that things were changing. Well, they may have been changing, but if so, I'd hate to see what it was like before.
     - Office is so far south that it's difficult to attract talent.
     - They preach work/life balance, but it's not a reality. The only way you will have it is if you make it yourself, and then it's often frowned upon.
     - They are incredibly behind the times on all of their technologies and integrations. They've customized everything to the point that the software and tools they pay for aren't usable and any attempts to improve aren't welcomed. More of a "throw more bodies in another country at it" attitude.
     - There's a strange tribal belief in weird data points that don't make sense. Analytics and data are a huge weakness.
     - The CEO's Jesus emails are something else. And apparently he's toned them down a bit. it's the "I'm a big Christian, but you better be at work on Christmas Eve until I say so" kind of deal.

Advice to Management

- Trust your people. They're intelligent professionals who can get their jobs done. There shouldn't be a need for butts in chairs over holidays or any other time. Your professionals can get the job done from anywhere.
     - Come up with a strategy and stick with it. The constant waffling back and forth creates a fire-drill culture and one where change is constant -- in a bad way.
     - Ditch the toxic competitive culture. It rolls down the hill, big time. Instead create a winning culture that values teamwork vs. backstabbing. You really do have some great leaders if you'll trust them and let them lead vs. micromanaging them constantly.