SolarWinds Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 48 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 31 reviews)

"Unexpected and Interesting"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've read all kinds of reviews of people trashing this place. Personally my experience has been drastically different here at Solarwinds. The training here is 90 days with a bonus for those who pass exams, they adequately train you with SME's who understand the technical side AND the sales motion to give you the best chance of understanding your role, and they allow plenty of time to get your trainings done.
    I don't know where people get off saying management doesn't care about the employees as they were more than willing to work with me and my family's needs to keep us insured and worked hard to keep me happy during on boarding.
    The pay is much better than what I was making at my previous employer with the room to grow and increase my earning potential.
    They feed you twice a week here from local vendors which is nice to cut down on lunch costs and they offer all the RedBull/ soda/ coffee/ and snacks you could ask for everyday.
    For those looking to join the Solarwinds family understand the people who blast this place have a bone to pick because they were probably fired because they didn't take the job seriously. This is an adult job, willing to pay a nice adult salary/commission/bonus rate, so come prepared to work like an adult. If you are expecting to be able to show up to check your Facebook, Twitter account or YouTube half the day and hit your number you probably won't.
    The atmosphere here is refreshing and positive from what I've been able to see. I've never seen so many people willing to go out of their way for complete strangers as well as smile around the office. I've never been asked to work from home as I'm an in office worker only so there's a clear cut work/life balance.

Cons

I've not seen much to change so far as this place is a breath of fresh air from where I came from. If you are looking to coast or expect to make six figures for little to no effort this isn't the job for you. If you like to work hard and want a company to compensate you handsomely for your efforts then give SWI a shot. I'm referring several friends.

"Austin Solarwinds HQ"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed you a lot and host fun company outings. Pay is good if you're right out of college and you can make good money there.

Cons

I would say don't work there. You can make good money(easily 80k if you're a good sales person) but you are expected to sell a ridiculous amount of product every month and then sell even more the next month and they are prone to changing the numbers on the fly so you don't make you're quota. Also managers are constantly micro managing you to call and email multiple times per day for every cold lead no matter how fake they are. Literally people don't do a whole lot the first three weeks and then panic at the end of the month and whoever doesn't sell gets fired. So the morale is super low and then no one cares for three weeks and then everyone panics again. Like clockwork hahaha. The products themselves are very good but honestly software is such a commodity at this point and the customer has been conditioned to wait until they get over 50% off discount(always at the end of the month because people are desperate for the sale) so it's really a rat race to get nowhere over there. Plus they change things all the time and recently they tiered their sales teams (basically the best teams have accounts and the worst teams ONLY call leads that come in through the website which are mostly fake) so quality of life really changes from team to team. Plus Austin is suuuper expensive so if you are making good money a lot will go to your cost of living.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation plan, Terrific technology your prospects WANT to purchase.

Cons

At the time, the territories would change every quarter. This did encourage quick closure, and the thought was "win some/lose some" with deals that were then sent over to the new rep. Sadly, I lost more than I won (like to think it was because I teed more up than most). I did not like the lack of ongoing customer relationships.

4. "Great products, great employees and awesome energy."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passion for growth AND profitability. Startup-like adaptability. Rly talented, passionate and diverse employees that are hungry for success and career paths.

Cons

Our success is a secret! It takes courage and confidence to take on the big enterprise vendors. SWI has the talent and products to succeed in all markets.

"Kill me now"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The swag and team outings are nice

Cons

SCARE TACTICS! Heavily used by management.

Advice to Management

Stop the scare tactics to your employees and customers.

"It's Fine"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch twice a week, free sodas. Good launching pad into something better or more lucrative. Made a lot of friends there. The 'culture' isn't great, but a lot of the people are.

Cons

If you're reading this, you probably read other reviews as well. So I won't belabor what's obvious based on the existing reviews. Good sales people will probably do well, bad sales people won't. There is some favoritism, but I suppose that's the case everywhere. It's not as bad as others may say, but it's not that great either.

Advice to Management

Positivity > Negativity

"Comical is not even the correct word"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co-workers - everyone can relate to the same struggle. get their number before they either quit or get let go in 2 months.

office manager - she's the glue that holds the sinking ship together.

Cons

work/life balance - None at all. A Class Action Lawsuit was given to SolarWinds back in the early part of the year. for 2 months, everyone was allowed to go home at 5 with no questions asked. On the third month, the base was bumped up to 50k. They told everyone that it was to "stay competitive" in the market. we were told to stay there late. it was implemented to keep everyone there at all hours of the night. be expected to work all hours of the night and be responsive to texts.

trust/lies - There is no trust between employees and management.

food - some might say this is a "pro". others will say it's a reason to keep you at your desk. you can be the judge of that.

sales tactics - some the industry's worst sales tactics are put on display here. you think your accounts hate SolarWinds? wait until you have to send mail merges 5 times a week. If that's not enough, your manager will finish off killing the project with a couple of blasts. management sends the same "canned" emails every week.
    Example:
    Monday - customer says PO will be in on Friday
    Tuesday - manager asks for the PO today. manager sends "pull forward" email without you knowing. customer is annoyed
    Wednesday - send a "swag" email. customer doesn't respond
    Thursday - manager sends email to customer and questions your ability as a person. forced to send a revised quote with discount. customer is mad at you
    Friday - everyone is having a panic attack and PO never comes in. customer has the PO but decides to make you wait since no one honors a timeline

I can't make this stuff up.

commission - unless you are an account executive who monitors the "sales inbox" or have an enterprise account, get used to never hitting your inflated quota. someone said 10% hit, that is a huge stretch. more like 5% hit.

advancement - try your luck as a rehire. internal promotions are a rare as finding an employee who likes the job.

Advice to Management

I don't think management will read this between the CEO ranting about how good america is with Trump in office in an email that was sent to everyone in office, directors pointing blame on everyone, and managers reminiscing of the good ole days.

8. "Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with an exciting always changing environment that pushes you to be uncomfortable which in turn drives you to be better in all aspects of your area of expertise. They are also very forgiving to those that give it their all. If you want to punch a clock and collect a check this is not the place for you.

Cons

Very fast paced and constant change.

"isr"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

Pros

made good friends with colleagues.

Cons

Go look look up Micro management. This place is God awful and will suck the life out of you

"Comical"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They feed us food twice a week. It's indoors as we are in a hot climate. Gym access if you are so inclined.

Cons

Power went out today and we got this email from the CEO shortly after.

"All

Internet is working and phones are working. Power should be back on in 45 minutes or less.

Everyone should get back to their desks and go to work!"

Funny, I didn't see him roaming the halls to see who wasn't at their desks...

Advice to Management

This wouldn't help.