SolarWinds Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 45 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a place to work if you are looking for work - life balance (in 27 reviews)

• There is absolutley NO WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great products, great employees and awesome energy."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passion for growth AND profitability. Startup-like adaptability. Rly talented, passionate and diverse employees that are hungry for success and career paths.

Cons

Our success is a secret! It takes courage and confidence to take on the big enterprise vendors. SWI has the talent and products to succeed in all markets.

"Kill me now"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The swag and team outings are nice

Cons

SCARE TACTICS! Heavily used by management.

Advice to Management

Stop the scare tactics to your employees and customers.

3. "It's Fine"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch twice a week, free sodas. Good launching pad into something better or more lucrative. Made a lot of friends there. The 'culture' isn't great, but a lot of the people are.

Cons

If you're reading this, you probably read other reviews as well. So I won't belabor what's obvious based on the existing reviews. Good sales people will probably do well, bad sales people won't. There is some favoritism, but I suppose that's the case everywhere. It's not as bad as others may say, but it's not that great either.

Advice to Management

Positivity > Negativity

"Sales - take the gig -> kill it on small quota-> collect check->LEAVE"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch twice a week.
    Work with great people

Cons

- Leadership is a joke. Just because they've been there for 8 years and managed to never get fired doesn't mean they can lead and influence others to do the same.
    - A ranking member of sales leadership walked away from the company back in October. This person had been with the company for 10 years. That should tell you how the company is trending...
    - Turnover for sales is extremely high. Every two weeks people are getting cut. They are under a few class-action suits from former employees.

My advice to anybody looking at taking a sales gig at Solarwinds: Take the gig, kill it in the first few months while you're on a small quota, collect your check, and find something else. Don't commit to them because they have no desire to show any form of commitment to you.

"Comical is not even the correct word"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co-workers - everyone can relate to the same struggle. get their number before they either quit or get let go in 2 months.

office manager - she's the glue that holds the sinking ship together.

Cons

work/life balance - None at all. A Class Action Lawsuit was given to SolarWinds back in the early part of the year. for 2 months, everyone was allowed to go home at 5 with no questions asked. On the third month, the base was bumped up to 50k. They told everyone that it was to "stay competitive" in the market. we were told to stay there late. it was implemented to keep everyone there at all hours of the night. be expected to work all hours of the night and be responsive to texts.

trust/lies - There is no trust between employees and management.

food - some might say this is a "pro". others will say it's a reason to keep you at your desk. you can be the judge of that.

sales tactics - some the industry's worst sales tactics are put on display here. you think your accounts hate SolarWinds? wait until you have to send mail merges 5 times a week. If that's not enough, your manager will finish off killing the project with a couple of blasts. management sends the same "canned" emails every week.
    Example:
    Monday - customer says PO will be in on Friday
    Tuesday - manager asks for the PO today. manager sends "pull forward" email without you knowing. customer is annoyed
    Wednesday - send a "swag" email. customer doesn't respond
    Thursday - manager sends email to customer and questions your ability as a person. forced to send a revised quote with discount. customer is mad at you
    Friday - everyone is having a panic attack and PO never comes in. customer has the PO but decides to make you wait since no one honors a timeline

I can't make this stuff up.

commission - unless you are an account executive who monitors the "sales inbox" or have an enterprise account, get used to never hitting your inflated quota. someone said 10% hit, that is a huge stretch. more like 5% hit.

advancement - try your luck as a rehire. internal promotions are a rare as finding an employee who likes the job.

Advice to Management

I don't think management will read this between the CEO ranting about how good america is with Trump in office in an email that was sent to everyone in office, directors pointing blame on everyone, and managers reminiscing of the good ole days.

7. "Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with an exciting always changing environment that pushes you to be uncomfortable which in turn drives you to be better in all aspects of your area of expertise. They are also very forgiving to those that give it their all. If you want to punch a clock and collect a check this is not the place for you.

Cons

Very fast paced and constant change.

"isr"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

Pros

made good friends with colleagues.

Cons

Go look look up Micro management. This place is God awful and will suck the life out of you

"Comical"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They feed us food twice a week. It's indoors as we are in a hot climate. Gym access if you are so inclined.

Cons

Power went out today and we got this email from the CEO shortly after.

"All

Internet is working and phones are working. Power should be back on in 45 minutes or less.

Everyone should get back to their desks and go to work!"

Funny, I didn't see him roaming the halls to see who wasn't at their desks...

Advice to Management

This wouldn't help.

10. "Latam ISR"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative - Latin America in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative - Latin America in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

That is just the best place I ve worked so far.
    My manager was great, trainning was great. Atmosphere and opportunities were amazing.
    You have to be a hard worker and go getter or you wont fit there.
    Fast paced and fun place.
    free lunch - snacks - drinks.
    Great place, great team. I am sad to leave

Cons

really hard to think about that but ...
    Too much free food?
    Trainning could ve been better organized, but still, awesome!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job.

"Amateurish management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers, nice physical plant, snacks, etc. You actually get pretty good feeling about the place during the interviews and when you first go in.

Cons

Not only does the management has no respect for the employees, they seem to be proud of it. It's like the sales staff are a bunch of animals in a zoo, for the management's entertainment. The self-worshiping punks in management were so drunk with their idiotic little small-time power trips, I could have EASILY sold TWICE as much as I did if it weren't for them. Instead, I sat there and pissed off customer after customer after customer and never heard from them again.

If you need to take a couple of hours off to see a doctor because you're sick, or a dentist because you have a toothache, they make you feel like a criminal; it doesn't matter if you have the Leave to take. They want you to work during lunch, work on holidays or weekends, and take a load of work home every night. You have NO life. You get together with some co-workers after work, and all everybody talks about is how they hate their jobs and how stupid the management is, especially the CEO. He is a laughingstock, an absolute idiot.

Advice to Management

Many of your customers have advanced degrees and are successful, educated, intelligent people. They do NOT like high-pressure, "car salesman" sales pitches, ringing their phones off the wall day after day after day with some stupid sales gimmick. I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time a solid lead told me to forget it and slammed down the phone. Respect your sales personnel as experienced, skilled professionals. Let them work, let them live their lives, and SW will make twice as much money.