Solekai Systems Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Stafford

1. "Vice President Business Development"

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a software development services provider Solekai gets a variety of projects in areas such as Digital Media, Smart Grid, IoT, enterprise and mobile applications etc. So engineers can have the opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects.

Cons

The company always needs to be finding contracts for new projects for staffing longevity.

Advice to Management

This is a services company so management (other than lead) positions are limited

2. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time

Pros

Nice people, reasonable pay, free food in the kitchen.

Cons

Crappy executive level management. Don't listen to engineers. Some bad engineers that contribute bad code that can make your life hell.

Advice to Management

listen to the good engineers

3. "LOVED my time with Solekai"

Former Employee - Test Architect
    Former Employee - Test Architect

Pros

Great people. Cool stuff we were working on. It was fun and we were a team...all great things at the time.

Cons

We were distributed across the country and not handling it as well as I would hope (then...maybe not a problem now). We were "services" and our clients were going through a lot of changes/consolidations which meant contracts could evaporate quickly, which means the headcount has to change to fit the work load.

"Good Consulting Job"

Pros

Good people, loyal to CEO. Good hourly wage with adequate benefits. Thumbs up rating of CEO is for Martin Caniff, NOT John Stafford (who is no longer with company).

Cons

If there's work you get paid. No work, no pay. Transition between contracts is always tenuous, you never know if another contract is going to be available and if you still have a job. No vacation, although hourly wage should compensate for that.

6. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Software Developer/Senior Test Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer/Senior Test Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great knowledgeable people to work for and work with. Management takes care of their people and HR does a great job of staying in touch with people - current and former workers. Lots of knowledge and skills to be gained by working on various projects and interacting with peers, often some of the brightest in the industry.

Cons

Company is an engineering servicing company, so they work with other companies to provide them with engineering services. This means job security can become an issue depending on what project an employee is assigned and how it is managed by the customer. Contracts expected to last years can sometimes be cut short. Upward career movement is also difficult for those looking to move up within a company.

Advice to Management

Management can improve by finding qualified sales people to find a constant stream of new projects, or to help in locking in longer contracts for projects.

"Small company not a lot of work."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really nice people.
    - Stocked kitchen.

Cons

- Not a lot of follow up work after contracts. I attribute this to a couple bad apples.

Advice to Management

Don't keep engineers around that can't do their job just because they are "senior."

8. "Contract Manager"

Pros

I love the variations I receive.

Cons

I hate being stonewalled by a customer.

9. "Test technician"

Pros

Wonderful people that work here. Pantry is stocked. Company events are fun.

Cons

I would've liked more interaction between teams/groups.

10. "Good company, friendly people,"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Hourly employees have a good rate
    * The health benefits are great, even as an hourly employee, the company provided a fairly good portion of the expense.
    * flexible hours, ability to telecommute depending on the project.
    * shower facilities, I would use these quite often, especially for nearby pickup basketball games.
    * possibility to work on multiple projects.
    * food; stocked kitchen ( free drinks, snacks ) and monthly culinary events.

Cons

* it's an engineering services firm, so you have to come to grips that the current project may end and you'll be left without work that you can not bill and might be temporarily left go. As a plus, if work does happen to spring up again, they may call you back.
    * no 401k matching, but they do provide annual profit sharing based on your working hours throughout the year.
    * There is a sense that sometimes the company isn't doing too well in finding more projects.

Advice to Management

* keep broadening the net within the multi-tiered focus areas and building momentum, there may not be many bites now, but sooner or later something will bite.

11. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solekai has the best Health Coverage Benefits I've ever had in my career. With our switch recently to a new Health Provider and Plan, it is the lowest employee out of pocket expense for Health Coverage Benefits package I've ever experienced. Definitely a perk and a great benefit when working for Solekai!

Cons

Nothing when it comes to the Health Coverage Benefits package offered by the company.

Advice to Management

You are doing great in providing an exceptional low cost Health Coverage and Benefits package year over year to your employees! Thank You!