Solera Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Solera Holdings Founder and CEO Tony Aquila
Tony Aquila

Pros
  • We plan monthly happy hours and team bonding events, and have flexible schedules when it comes to work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Free gym membership, free food, and good medical benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some departments do not have a good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Everything is urgent, and you will always be working on pointless drills over nights, weekends and holidays for absolutely no significant output (in 3 reviews)

"Great Company - Bad People"

Former Employee - Operations in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Westlake, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO Vision, Team Structure, Benefits, Vacation, Salary

Cons

Solera is a vicious place to work. For the most part people are very nice and supportive but there are a few people in key leadership roles that do more domineering and controlling than actual leading. Tony is a great leader and he has some interesting ways of leading but when push comes to shove is a generous brilliant business man that rewards hard work. The only problem is some of the people being promoted have completely distorted Tony's leadership style and turned it into something that they can use as a weapon against employees that don't fit their idea of "Solera Culture".

Advice to Management

I don't think that management cares about these reviews so I have no advice to give.

2. "Good people, rigid culture. Very dictatorial management."

Former Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, free food. They give you all technical equipment you need. Peers are in general receptive, you feel included and listened. Team building is pretty good.

Cons

Chaos, no respect for people. Pay is decent, but they overwork you and squeeze the last drop of energy. Absolutely no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Get real, you are not as important nor qualified as you think. Practice more your 90/10, walk your talk.

"Management has created toxic environment, run away fast."

Current Employee - Web Developer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tony has great vision, good pay, good employees. We had great culture and produced great work with success. We loved our jobs and helped each other grow.

Cons

South Jordan management is horrible, cronyism at the highest level. They have succeeded in destroying working teams and dismantling them piece by piece. I went through three managers in less than six months as one after the other left when they saw what was happening. I was repeatedly lied to, promised promotions that never happened. Truly a nightmare situation. Constantly disrespected and treated as a toy soldier and not a person. Good talent is leaving because of the poor direction, lack of real leadership. Development management style belongs in prison camp not a modern software company. This place is the worst I have ever worked. You can't make up for vicious environment with free soda and snacks. Unless you want to take two steps back in you career, run.

Advice to Management

Tony, you general is driving this company into the ground. Few respect or trust the management, it's only fear at this point. It's really not an environment for growth and accomplishment. Innovation is stifled, with money being wasted on poor ideas and directionless execution. The ship is sinking, please help.

"Only company I know that fires employees while they are fighting Cancer"

Current Employee - Identifix Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Identifix Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay can be very good, love the product

Cons

Upper management treats you likes number if you are not a brown moser or part of the clique you won't make it. Company took away all the bonuses and incentives we had for sales in Las Vegas.

Advice to Management

When employees are fighting for their life show some compassion and don't fire them during their fight. While they are out under the ADA Act.

"You can only fight the way you practice - Raise your hand!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time

Pros

The best thing about Solera is that the entire organization is interconnected allowing for overlap around the world for those willing to raise their hands. Different employees have different missions; which allows for personal and professional development and exploratory research in areas outside of their comfort zone. During my tenure, I have seen employees move into roles they are not qualified for and succeed due to personal fortitude and dedication.

Cons

The most difficult thing is to explain the mystery of Solera. While it is a unique culture, there are elements some put through their personal filter to understand, only to create stories of confusion. What I have found is that the personal struggles and stories linked to the “cons” category, become a “Pro” when sidestepping my filter and understanding company leadership and the greater picture. Hours can be long, meetings can get loud and work can pile up; however, there are few companies where the most beautiful thing is your coworkers helping you to get through difficult times.

Advice to Management

For anyone who manages someone, remember, there are multiple paths you and your directs can go by, but in the long run, there is still time to change the road you’re on. Encourage employees to raise their hands, challenge the drills, challenge you, step outside of your comfort zone and listen to the subtle clues employees are whispering. They may be silently screaming for help, change or development. Sidestep your filter to identify ways to make Solera better, never be satisfied with where you (we) are today – Become the great leader you can be.

"Save yourself the headache"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Addison, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snack room was decent. It's sad that the snack room is the only pro I can think of.

Cons

Horrible structure. Rude leadership.
    Moved to different team because, brace yourselves, other people quit unexpectedly.
    HR was complacent when senior leaders made the place a hostile work environment.
    Contract was worded in such a vague way that the "bonus" would essentially never have to be paid.
    Just a real nightmare. I should've quit on my first day when they "asked" me to be in a different team than originally discussed.

Advice to Management

It's not my job to help their horrendous management try to fix that crap. Good luck.

7. "Comparable benefits"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits manager. Easy open enrollment. Family coverage extended to domestic partners. Reputable medical, dental & vision companies. Many company events.

Cons

No retirement plans. No pet plan. Low discount rate for purchasing company stocks. Fair to say that not many companies offer retirement plan any longer. Their 4% 401k match is ok.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Glad its over"

Former Employee - Anonymous in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, all the good ones are leaving

Cons

HR will tell you that they are neutral, but beware they are not, if you go to them and talk about the unethical issues or job issues you might end up getting fired. Communication is non-existent, manager plays favorites, and the accounting team is a mess. They are rapidly sinking with their best employees leaving. Corporate is a problem, but honestly, the culture is the worse I have ever seen.

"Dishonest & abusive management team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free snacks in the office (a pretty good variety of candy, fruit, drinks, etc.).
    - Reimbursement for a gym membership at LifeTime Fitness for Utah employees (a nice, high-end place).

Cons

- Solera does not pay bonuses as promised. Regardless of what your offer letter may say, they set impossible targets, then eliminate bonuses for all employees when those targets are not met.
    - A culture of arrogance and abuse is pervasive among senior management at Solera. It is common for employees to be screamed at, cussed at, berated, etc.
    - Cost-cutting is emphasized above all other priorities; even maintaining the sustainability of the business. Costs have already been cut to the point that the development teams, customer service teams, and finance/accounting teams simply do not have the support they need to do their jobs adequately, and management is aggressively seeking to cut costs further.
    - Every day is consumed by fire-fighting. Cost cutting has decimated the business to the point that nothing works as it should and employees are constantly scrambling to clean up all the messes management has made by cutting costs they shouldn't have.
    - Senior management is conceited to the point that they refuse to believe they have made poor decisions even as the business is collapsing around them. Any recommendations made by employees will be completely disregarded if they don't fit the delusional vision for the company promoted by management.
    - Management has a tendency to concoct impossible pipe-dreams, then pass them down to employees to execute. Count on bonuses and merit increases to be eliminated if you are not successful.
    - A direct quote from the Solera CEO Tony Aquila in the letter informing me that my 2016 bonus (and those of all AutoPoint employees) would be zero: "For those that carried less than your share, be thankful for those who did it for you." Imagine yourself working for this man. It's miserable.

Advice to Management

Management generally doesn't take advice, although if they would, I'd tell Tony to quit running the place like a military boot camp and to show some integrity for a change. Maybe screaming and cussing works with 18-year-old army recruits, but it's quite unprofessional (and abusive) in an office. The entire culture among top management at Solera has been perverted with arrogance and abusive behavior, with Tony as their exemplar. Also, Tony, cheating employees out of their bonuses while retreating to your multi-million dollar mansion in the Tetons isn't likely to result in a favorable reputation for your company.

"Inside Sales, doc updates"

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing, Creative/Administrative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing, Creative/Administrative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good product, Identifix, Direct Hit, bad marketing approach, good training, some unrealistic expectations, but old/dated and unapplicable or un-usable leads, filters not so good, got others' leads, or got lots of previous clients data and was unsure at first whether it was my job to contact them, many had not been contacted in many years, or so it was last noted in Goldmine, and unsure if I was just sales or if I was also territory manager, as one trainer said.

Cons

old data, some unrealistic expectatiions, only two wks training to become an S.M.E., and company hired to do the calling/ be the site was having many technical problems, yet it's name was E-Tech

Advice to Management

should have begun with higher price, quoted same price to small and large companies/clients, and with a good product and good training, and corp. ownership, find the resources to market well, get good leads, have at least some online or mailings for customer service, decide whether to be old-fashioned or modern. Pay commission for every sale. Don't expect great and high sales if one-third of the data is faulty or not necessary for the job.