Solo Cup Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert M. Korzenski

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, work life balance, good opportunities for advancement

Cons

Weak management, tend not to take advice from non-manager employees

Advice to Management

listen to employees closer. Utilize their suggestions

2. "Maintenance Lead Electrician"

Former Employee - Supervisor/Lead Electrical Mechanical Trainer in Manchester, NH

I worked at Solo Cup (More than 10 years)

Pros

Almost 30 years started as Sweetheart Cup Co, formerly Maryland Cup Corp. Competitive wages and benefits.

Cons

Sweetheart brought by Solo and they dropped the Sweetheart branding, site closed do to foreign work @2010

Advice to Management

Now owned by Dart Container Corp. Looks like they kept the Solo branding, good report back from others who were able to relocate and stay with company. Review does not reflect Dart Container Corp as I was no longer working when they procured Solo Cup.

3. "Not terrible, but not great"

Former Employee - Dispute Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Dispute Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Solo Cup (More than a year)

Pros

- Salary is competitive
    - 401K
    - Enjoyed working with my managers

Cons

- Not many growth opportunities
    - Morale was low in my department

4. "Supply Chain"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Solo Cup (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solo offers good benefits except for profit sharing.

Cons

X-Functional activities are more difficult

5. "A Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, great benefit and health care plans, good organizational structure, all in all, Solo was a great company to work for.

Cons

Given the financial situation at the company, the great team of Design Engineers and new product development professionals were not able to explore new markets and create unique new products.

Advice to Management

New product development was always something the company excelled at. Even through tough times, the company should have still had a focus on establishing new products.

6. "Frightened of change"

Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in Owings, MD

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot. Very willing to train people. Had some excellent coworkers

Cons

Boys club. It's hard for a woman to succeed in some departments. Very conservative company, afraid of change and sometimes their own shadow. Capricious marketing department, can't stick with a decision to save their life, plus they lack communication among their own department. Very frustrating to work with. Spent many years receiving only 1% or less raise.

Advice to Management

Make some decisions and stick with them. Don't be afraid to try something different. Stop trying to copy competition, instead differentiate yourself in the market.

7. "Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solo Cup (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were friendly, loved most of the people in the office that I worked with.

Cons

Far commute for me living in the city, but nothing really to be done about that.

8. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Barrington, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Barrington, IL

I worked at Solo Cup (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home and definite attempt to balance work life.

Cons

Company was in the process of relocating to Michigan and all jobs were going away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people - many decisions were made that made no sense because someone at the top of the tier of the org. thought that was best.

9. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Urbana, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great family orientated company to work for in the early years. When you reached 25 years you were given a trip to any place in the world. When mine anniversary came up, the program had been changed so that your trip was limited to the USA. I took my wife to Hawaii for 10 days. WE HAD A GREAT TIME! Thank You.

Cons

Buying Sweetheart Cup was a disaster. When I left the company was being managed by Sweetheart Managers, and the Solo Managers (who had made the Corporation successful) were being eliminated. Don't Figure!!!

Advice to Management

Now Dart Corp. needs to do what they sy they are going to do or everybody will be the losers.

10. "My experience was awesome. I loved my job. Yes, it's hard work but it was worth it for me, wish I didn't have to move."

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Ada, OK
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Ada, OK

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a product handler, loved it. Trained new hires, made them feel welcome, because when I started back in Oct of 2011, I was not welcomed. After a year I decided to become a machine operator. Loved it even more. The environment at the Ada plant was great. It's not for everyone. If you like loud noise, hot and cold environment and be on your feet 8 to 12 hours a shift and care about the product you are making for people to eat and drink out of, this is the job for you. I didn't have to deal with the public that too me was a big plus. The management I had on first and second shift was great I worked occasionally on third shift and had no problem with the management there either. As long as you do your work and follow the rules there is no problem. I wish I could have stayed, I don't believe I will find another job that I truly enjoyed as much as working at Solo/Dart.

Cons

The only thing I can possibly think of is the machines are old and need to be fixed correctly and stop trying to work around it and waste product and labor. I believe it would be more cost effective to fix it right the first time, than to just keep playing with the "adjustments" when the problem lies within the machine itself not the operator.

Advice to Management

I had great management on all the shifts I worked. The ones complaining were not doing their job, or just don't like their job. The company needs to continue to make a good product and to make a profit. If you have people that you may like as a person but are lacking in the job performance, you need to reevaluate that person and see if someone else would be a better fit. When people stop caring about the product and the company, it's time for them to move on. It can't be just a "paycheck" for them it needs to be more than that.