Solo Cup Reviews | Glassdoor

Solo Cup President, CEO, and Director Robert M. Korzenski
Robert M. Korzenski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great place to work"

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture is excellent, meritocratic, very family friendly

Cons

siloed into position, wide variability between different groups

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

2. "Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solo Cup (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were friendly, loved most of the people in the office that I worked with.

Cons

Far commute for me living in the city, but nothing really to be done about that.

3. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Urbana, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great family orientated company to work for in the early years. When you reached 25 years you were given a trip to any place in the world. When mine anniversary came up, the program had been changed so that your trip was limited to the USA. I took my wife to Hawaii for 10 days. WE HAD A GREAT TIME! Thank You.

Cons

Buying Sweetheart Cup was a disaster. When I left the company was being managed by Sweetheart Managers, and the Solo Managers (who had made the Corporation successful) were being eliminated. Don't Figure!!!

Advice to Management

Now Dart Corp. needs to do what they sy they are going to do or everybody will be the losers.

4. "My experience was awesome. I loved my job. Yes, it's hard work but it was worth it for me, wish I didn't have to move."

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Ada, OK
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Ada, OK

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a product handler, loved it. Trained new hires, made them feel welcome, because when I started back in Oct of 2011, I was not welcomed. After a year I decided to become a machine operator. Loved it even more. The environment at the Ada plant was great. It's not for everyone. If you like loud noise, hot and cold environment and be on your feet 8 to 12 hours a shift and care about the product you are making for people to eat and drink out of, this is the job for you. I didn't have to deal with the public that too me was a big plus. The management I had on first and second shift was great I worked occasionally on third shift and had no problem with the management there either. As long as you do your work and follow the rules there is no problem. I wish I could have stayed, I don't believe I will find another job that I truly enjoyed as much as working at Solo/Dart.

Cons

The only thing I can possibly think of is the machines are old and need to be fixed correctly and stop trying to work around it and waste product and labor. I believe it would be more cost effective to fix it right the first time, than to just keep playing with the "adjustments" when the problem lies within the machine itself not the operator.

Advice to Management

I had great management on all the shifts I worked. The ones complaining were not doing their job, or just don't like their job. The company needs to continue to make a good product and to make a profit. If you have people that you may like as a person but are lacking in the job performance, you need to reevaluate that person and see if someone else would be a better fit. When people stop caring about the product and the company, it's time for them to move on. It can't be just a "paycheck" for them it needs to be more than that.

5. "i was a line assumbly i help put the cups on the line in box them up so they can be shipped off"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Solo Cup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fastfood,Cashier,prep food its some things i love to do when i am at work if thats what i have to do

Cons

um i get up set when other people is not doing they work in we all get in trouble for it

Advice to Management

well we had some nice ones in some that get did not care bout what we was up to i like the ones that was on the people that was doing good

6. "My experience at solo cup was great."

Former Employee - Lead Product Handler in Thomaston, GA
    Former Employee - Lead Product Handler in Thomaston, GA

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the positives for working with this company is that you gain skillful experience each and everyday, the insurance benefits are great and most of the people you work with are friendly along with the staff.

Cons

To me the challenges are just being able and willing to learn something new everyday.

Advice to Management

some advice to management is to stay alert and on top of things because you can be fired as quick as a regular employee.

7. "A really great company"

Current Employee - Account Management in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Account Management in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Forward thinking
    SAP system
    Extensive training
    Guiding Management
    Room for growth
    Employee store
    Holiday parties
    Friendly environment

Cons

Sold to Dart
    Closing
    Job Relocation
    6 month notice

8. "Working at Solo Cup as an employee."

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a good company to work for, my time was short because of a management decision to sell the company to Dart Industries Inc.

Cons

My only regret was that I did not have vesting rights and suffered a lay-off.

"Solo Cup is a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

Pros

Solo Cup is a company that values is employees not just its customers and management as can often be the case. It truly values its employees at all levels of the organization. It offers a complete and comprehensive, quality benefits package to its employees which can be quite rare these days. Solo is an organization that is not afraid to take a hard line in reducing unecesary spending in order to keep the the company viable and competitive.

Cons

Due to the challenges that Solo Cup has faced financially since its acquisition of Sweetheart they have had to make difficult choices in reducing the number of employees. Until Solo is consistently operating in the black there will always be a concern for its employees about job security. Those who do remain in the mid to upper levels often find their workloads increasing time and time again as employees are let go in an effort to reduce overhead. This can lead to burn out of quality, dedicated employees - Employees that Solo struggles to replace with other quality workers given the public knowledge of their financial struggles.

Advice to Management

I would urge the Senior Management of Solo to continue pursuing their goals of right-sizing their workforce, and reducing overhead as well as streamlining and improving its product offerings to increase its market share and providing financial stability for the company and its employees.

10. "I am happy to be working at solo cup"

Pros

world wide company, new technology entering monthly

Cons

too many young guns inn higher positions

Advice to Management

hold back those youngster a little while longer