Solo Cup Reviews | Glassdoor

Solo Cup Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

1. "Prior to merger with Sweethart ad Dart"

Current Employee - Engineering in Highland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering in Highland Park, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment but always interesting, supportive of hard work and intuitive.

Cons

Was difficult transitioning from old systems to new one. Silo mentality kept integration of information from being best used.

Advice to Management

allow talent to work

2. "i was a line assumbly i help put the cups on the line in box them up so they can be shipped off"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Solo Cup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fastfood,Cashier,prep food its some things i love to do when i am at work if thats what i have to do

Cons

um i get up set when other people is not doing they work in we all get in trouble for it

Advice to Management

well we had some nice ones in some that get did not care bout what we was up to i like the ones that was on the people that was doing good

3. "3 Ring Circus"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Federalsburg, MD
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Federalsburg, MD

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Production personnel, for the most part are knowledgeable in their respected areas.

Cons

Management shaky, High turn over rate. While I was there for 3 years they had a 60% turn over rate!

Advice to Management

Get some one from Dart in the General Manager Office!!!!!!!!!!!

5. "Bad Management."

Current Employee - Maint in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Maint in Dallas, TX

Pros

Pay is decent.
    Some good people to work with.
    Benefits are ok.

Cons

Modern day slavery.
    Unethical Management.
    While the plant manager is ok, those right below him in the chain of command are terrible. They constantly work against him and the new owners policies.

Advice to Management

Management engages in some very unethical behavior. They promote relatives and friends over more qualified people. The "buddy system" is so rampant at the Dallas plant that you literally stand no chance of promotion unless you're from the now closed Baltimore plant. These guys do little work, and basically just show up to collect a check. Dallas plant management despises that they were bought out by Dart, and regularly slander Dart corporate up in MI. Dart really needs to get down there and clean house.

6. "A very challenging environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects. Great coworkers. Employee discount on products.

Cons

Cost cutting was main driver on all decisions. Management changed directions/strategy at every turn, making it difficult to be successful.

7. "It has been ok"

Current Employee - Material Handling in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Material Handling in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

That you can work any shift you want.and if you come to work you will have a chance to advance

Cons

That you have people in charge that do not know what they are doing

Advice to Management

We need a better training program

8. "Was a great place to work."

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were friendly and knowledgeable. Systems were current and processes and procedures well documented.

Cons

Solo was bought out in 2012. Became a very different place to work.

9. "interesting and enjoyable"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

liked working here for the 12 hour shifts and set schedule with 4 on and three off
    where I could take a calendar and know for the whole year what days I had off.

Cons

Just a slight con about the schedule to where I didn't have the same days off witch makes it harder in cohabitation

Advice to Management

Advice is to not get lost in the upper levels of management and stay in touch with the workers who carry the company

10. "My first 4 years was great there until they brought in so many different managers. I worked for Solo Cup for over 5 yrs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the reasons I took the position with Solo was all the managers at the time was awesome. They had great attitudes and was great in giving you directions. I was hired in when they took over sweetheart and about a year or so into the company managers after managers was leaving like running water.

Cons

The challenges of working for Solo Cup was the fact of the under handed employees. If they could convince the manager to not like you, then there was major trouble ahead. They never took the time or energy to really get to know there employees for themselves. There was some really good and dedicated workers at Solo Cup, but once they brought in new management attitudes started to change and more people stated to leaving and it seemed like the harder you worked they didn't care. But if you was one of the pets and worked less you got praised and a really nice raise.

Advice to Management

my advice to management is to get too know your employees for yourself and not by word of mouth. Reason being is the person the are bad mouthing good be one or more of your best workers ever. Yes, I do understand that there might come a time that an employee and a manager might bump heads. In that case if they are going to start harassing the employee and making things hard for them. You should take a look at the entire situation of employee and managers. You all at like the word of the people coming to yoy is always true and it's not. You know managers and some employees lie for just to here themselves talk and to make themselves look good. Some of them can lie so while and with a straight face it sicking. And Human Resources are just as bad should you complain about anything and at that point the situation get worse, because now upper management has got involve and the ones that lied come out looking like roses and the ones telling the truth coming stained, discredited, and black ball. That ia so sad that management of any level would just turn a blind eye and not care.

11. "Great people, weak Senior leadership"

Former Employee - National Accounts in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Accounts in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Products, people, autonomy, great industry product reputation and brand equity

Cons

Senior Leadership, lack of mission, AOP, strategy

Advice to Management

Don't change strategy every three months