Solstice Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Solstice CEO Kelly Manthey
Kelly Manthey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee experience team is engaged: self directed training budget, access to thought-leadership, weekly trainings (in 30 reviews)

• Things are changing a little toward longer days, but work-life balance was still great (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company has scaled and gotten bigger, there are always a few small growing pains (in 16 reviews)

• The company is growing fast, so you should be prepared to adapt to the change (in 8 reviews)

"Fast paced work, learning environment, great people"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solstice (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced project work
    Fun social culture culture
    Smart, driven, capable employees
    Wonderful learning environment
    Opportunities to contribute to company initiatives internally and externally
    Solid benefits
    Receptive and responsive executive team
    Best holiday party in Chicago

Cons

Lots of ebb and flow of growth and change isn't for everyone
    Employee experience is greatly based on the project on which you are staffed
    Better alignment between Sales and Delivery

Advice to Management

Adjust promotions process to match the company growth and create more transparency into process
    Focus long term implementation of initiatives , rather than short term goals that end up incomplete

2. "Creative, Hard-working and Dedicated Employees"

Current Employee - Client Financial Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Financial Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Solstice for the past 6 months and everyday I look forward to going into the office. Everyone working there has a passion for going above and beyond for their clients. I have a very balanced work-life schedule. There is a strong support system through mentor/mentee relationships and am encouraged to grow in my position.

Cons

Not a con - but the company is growing very quickly that we are running out of space in our current office. New adventures ahead!

3. "Breathtaking people, fulfilling work, fast-growing firm"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"No 4sshole Policy"—There are hundreds and hundreds of people here, and each and every one of them is a joy. They are all amazingly compassionate and will take the required time and energy to help anyone who asks for it, with a smile on their face. Executives to interns, no exceptions.

Quality Management / HR—Benefits are great, generous training budget, salary was open to negotiation. Management is incredibly transparent and shares both good and bad news on a weekly basis. The CEO is a well spoken leader and is honest, open, and sincere.

Challenging and Fun—Working with large clients on important projects makes the hours go by quickly, and the atmosphere encourages creative thinking along with quality teamwork and collaboration.

Amazing Culture—Solstice isn't perfect, but they get so much right that it's hard to imagine somewhere else being better.

Cons

Average-to-Low Pay—Training budget is almost too generous, would prefer to have it be lessened and instead be redistributed into base salary. Office amenities offer little to augment this, beyond free coffee.

Young/Growing Pains—Company is expanding extremely rapidly, leading to a large subsection of the employees to be both new to their roles and to the company. Strong inter-team leadership and mastery can occasionally be rarer than desired.

Generic—Solstice strives to be a champion of minorities but the work force (especially upper management) is not especially diverse. Non-caucasians are few, and the higher up you go they grow even more scarce. Now, they are called minorities for a reason, but having the upper levels be 90% white and 80% male isn't the most awesome thing.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture of Solstice and people working here continue stay important—constant rotation and gamification of various principles can backfire and delegitimize the core concepts. Keep up the good work, but keep it real.

4. "A fast growing consultancy that hasn't lost the tight-knit culture of a smaller company"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solstice full-time

Pros

- Even though Solstice is a fast-growing company, it has the feel of a small company, everyone always greets you with a smile.
    - Invests resources into emerging technologies
    - Always enjoyed the teams I worked on
    - Clear opportunities for career advancement and working with unfamiliar/emerging technologies
    - Flat company structure

Cons

- Solstice has had some troubles with scaling the channels of communication that allow employees to privately and/or publicly air their grievances. Also employees are not always able to switch teams as easily as it is often touted. These cons are somewhat unavoidable as some of the intrinsic pitfalls of any consulting firm (client first)

5. "One of the Best Firms I've Had the Privilege of Working"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Solstice for a little over a year and can't say enough positive things about the organization, the people, the culture and company leadership.

If you're passionate about writing the future of digital innovation and emerging technologies and driven about not only furthering your own career but also making everyone else around you better, then you can truly write your own ticket at Solstice.

Cons

I don't have any major qualms with the firm, which I think speaks volumes in and of itself. Is everyday roses, of course not. But I love the people I'm working with, enjoying the challenges, and there's nowhere else right now I'd rather be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep investing in the culture. And keep building a world-class organization.

6. "Just like Family"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People: From day one I've been treated like family. A family takes care of each other and guides one and other to be the best possible person they can be, whether that is in your project or in your career.
    The culture: There is every kind of interest group here whether you are into sports, improve, or glass blowing you’ll find someone here meeting up to talk about or try it.
    Opportunities: Solstice invests in their employees by training them in the latest technologies and tools. Doing this empowers everyone to grow in their roles and in their careers.

Cons

Haven't really experienced any but will let you know when I do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As we scale up I hope to keep the same experience going for anyone one that joins our Solstice family.

7. "Great Place to Get Exposure to Almost Anything"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people are simply great. Having been at Solstice for over 3 years, the number 1 reason I am still here is the people. Solsties are good at what they do, hungry to learn and improve, and enjoyable to be around.
    -There's a shared level of trust and respect across the board that if you're at Solstice, you're capable of excelling at your job and don't need to be micromanaged or coddled. It allows employees to do what they need to do in order to succeed, even if it's not your standard 9-5.
    -There are countless learning opportunities if you want to take advantage of it. Interested in deep-diving into AI, Convo UX, AR/VR, Design Processes, PCF, etc etc etc? Solstice will support you in that, and you'll likely find some coworkers who are interested in it as well.
    -The career progression is rapid for those able to prove themselves on projects.

Cons

-Projects can run hot at times, and if you're not the type of person who is good at protecting your work/life balance, your work-life balance can take a hit at times. By consulting standards though, it's still not bad.
    -Solstice is not a monolith that's been operating with the same business model for the last 100 years. It's a 16 year old growth-mode consulting firm focused on digital innovation. If you're expecting a cushy track through well-defined career paths, Solstice isn't that. As noted above, there are ample opportunities to move up and experience new challenges constantly, but no one is going to hand you a clear-cut career progression roadmap on day 1. That's up to you to define.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to "Keep Solstice Weird" while also maturing operations and delivery quality as we continue to grow. Solstice is great because we're able to work with major clients while being a part of a good people-first culture. That's a tough balance, and one that needs to be preserved as we grow.

8. "Incredible Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Culture:
    - senior leadership is open and honest. I've never worked somewhere with this level of transparency. As an employee, you're never guessing about the health of the company because they tell us directly at weekly and quarterly meetings. In these meetings we have a chance to celebrate the wins but leadership is also humble and share when things don't go as planned. In these instances they are quick to share a clear vision for how we're going to pivot - always welcoming feedback and questions.
    - All employees have the opportunity to submit an anonymous question on any subject whenever they like. These questions are answered by the senior team in our weekly meetings in a session called "Pass the Pail" in front of the entire office.
    - We don't just have tenants on the website - unlike most companies we celebrate these every week. Whether it is the reason for nominating a colleague for the Awesomeness Award, or it's the theme of the quarter our tenants are known by most of the office.

2. Focus on Social Impact
    - Our Social Impact Committee has sent teams to Kenya 3 years in a row to build projects that solve real world problems with companies that wouldn't otherwise have the means to deliver these digital products.
    - Not only do we get over 100 people to attend the Chicago Dance Marathon to support the local children's hospital but we often raise the most money as a firm. We have a committee dedicated to keeping that relationship strong and making it easy for people to get involved.

3. The People
    - The best part about this job is the people. Everyone is REALLY smart, but more importantly they're kind.

4. Fun Stuff
    - social committee has budget to hold new hire happy hours, halloween parties, mini putt office golf course, etc. etc.
    - work from home for certain levels 1 day a week
    - Awesomeness Award: a weekly award where you can nominate as many people as you like that you witnessed do something awesome. The winner gets to win the use of an office, gets a gift card and bragging rights. 20+ people are nominated each week based on doing something awesome. It celebrates the little things every week.
    - The office has been to Mexico 3 times as an entire office - this is normally to celebrate big events or news but is a huge moral booster and team building trip
    - birthday lunch and card signed by the ceo
    - work anniversary lunch and card signed by the ceo

Cons

I tried, couldn't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Continue the traditions (even the small ones like office miniputt) as we continue to grow. It's the little things that make Solstice such a great place to come every day.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to learn and grow, especially if you're just joining the workforce or are new to the tech industry.
    - Positive work environment where everyone is trying to lift each other up.
    - I've personally had experiences here where I expressed significant concerns about aspects of my development, and I had multiple people go out of their way to immediately remedy my concerns. There are people all around this company that care about your development, and want you to be happy here.
    - Your co-workers are awesome people.
    - Fun work atmosphere where there's always stuff going on. If you have an interest outside of work, there's probably a club / committee related to that interest inside Solstice. For example, we have a philanthropy committee if you want to get together with people and make a difference. If you're an avid reader we have a book club. There's a beer club that meets every once in awhile and shares new beers with each other. Board game nights. If there's a club that doesn't exist, you can create it.
    - If you want something to change, you're encouraged to make that change. For example, myself and a few co-workers thought there were some issues with our technical interview process, so we met weekly for six months and made it better.

Cons

- Solstice has aspirations of getting very big. If you're looking for a smaller company to work for, Solstice might not be for you.
    - Depending on the project you get staffed on, you might have a very different Solstice experience from someone else. Some projects last for multiple years, and some projects are short multiple month engagements.

Advice to Management

If I had advice for management, I wouldn't publicly post about it on a third party website. I would tell them directly. They have an open door policy and encourage us to schedule a coffee meeting with them if we ever have anything we want to talk about.

"Shadow of a Great Company"

I worked at Solstice full-time

Pros

- Lots of social events
    - Great place for first job out of college. Has a frat house kind of feel to it, if that is your thing.
    - Flat organization
    - Recruiting/HR really cares
    - There are a few people here with amazing hearts and will be life long friends
    - $5K in training each year - if approved by management to leave a project and at their discretion.

Cons

- The CEO is a master of cloaking materialistic goals with higher purpose. Inexperienced employees are fully enamored. In reality, it's all about making him the money. Open your eyes.
    - Since the summer of last year, things really went downhill quickly. Even during a strong economy, lots of firing with little notice was taking place. They have no idea how to handle firing. They just pretend the person never existed. Heartless. This year seemed great financially but the constant confusing push in many directions with changing quarterly goals continued.
    - Not a good career place. Growth is a superficial title and bump in salary but no real responsibility advancement. If you are in it for the title and cash, see next item.
    - Low pay compared to other consulting firms
    - Lofty goals with little action
    - As I look through some fellow team member's reviews, they seem suspiciously like something the leadership team would say. They brought up glassdoor and recruiting in several team meetings. I would be cautious of the authenticity in some of the reviews. They don't match the reality.

Advice to Management

The company is managed with constantly changing quarter by quarter goals. You can call this a management technique or you can call this what it actually is, poor leadership with a lack of long term vision and ability to execute. Stop spinning everything.

Solstice Response

Aug 3, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience when you were let go. As much as we try to make a separation respectful, it inevitably ends in some hurt... More