Solstice Sunglass Boutiques Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unprofessional peers - rude and unsupportive of newness within upper management (in 9 reviews)

• confusing commission rules, high level leadership,close to impossible sales goals (in 7 reviews)

1. "Keyholder"

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Glasses were nice to try on

Cons

Management at the upper level was unprofessional

Advice to Management

Step it up

"Corporate sabotages your Sales."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Solstice Sunglass Boutiques full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team in the store. District Manager is amazing (and just as frustrated as we are). Good discount on Safilo products.

Cons

Corporate will sabotage your stores business by not sending any product for an entire month so you don't make your sales goal and they don't have to pay bonuses. This happened in August and again this month (October). In August, only 2 stores in the entire company made goal because nobody received any product. So customers were coming in looking for the best sellers, and we have to tell them we do not have it. The CEO says, "Sell what you have and stop whining". Then when every store didn't make plan, she was upset and surprised wondering why. They don't listen. They don't care. Ever since the new Leadership took over, the company has NEVER made it's goal. Not once. They are all about reducing costs and decreasing stock levels. The buyers don't look at what you need, they just place random orders. They will promise you new product, new brands, etc., but they never materialize. They will say, "Oh we just have to secure the product first". But that is crap. You can't tell me the warehouse doesn't have 32 frames to send to me. We are the 2nd largest optical manufacturer in the world. We have access to the product. Instead, they send you garbage like Tommy Hilfiger and Banana Republic. And complain that our Safilo penetration isn't 50% or higher. But our stores have less than 40% safilo and brands like the previous 2 that nobody wants. They don't listen to the stores. I know you would like to think you know each stores business better than we do, but we are here every day, we know what people are asking for. We are the ones that have to put crazy duplicated product on the walls and explain to customers why we don't have stuff. We have to search for stuff in other stores and have it shipped (7-9 days) if a customer wants something. My question, isn't that they buyers job? IF they are buying the wrong product, fire them!!! That's their job. Nobody needs 10 of those ugly Velvet frames. I've been here for 2 years. During that time, NOBODY, NOT ONE PERSON in our district received a raise. Some BS about freezes on raises. Since the new leadership took over, the culture has done a complete turn around. It used to be amazing, now it's terrible. Employee turn over is at an all time high. They don't care. NEVER EVER HAS ANYONE BEEN PROMOTED FROM THE STORE LEVEL TO A HIGHER DISTRICT LEVEL POSITION. The Regional Management is rude, condescending and works by intimidation. Comes in and never says anything positive. Talks to the employees in a way that someone in his position should never do. People have quit because of the way he talks to people.

Advice to Management

Replace the buyers or tell them to actually look at SKU levels in stores. Listen to the stores regarding stuff they need. React faster. It should not take 3 months to get something fixed. Give us raises! We made our numbers and our year, we deserve a raise. FOLLOW THROUGH ON PROMISES!!! DON'T TELL US YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE CARE OF SOMETHING OR GET US SOMETHING AND THEN DON'T DO IT.

"Probably want to rethink working here"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

There are some good people and you get a pretty good discount

Cons

Not a cohesive environment, every man for himself. will probably promise you around 20-25 hours part time but end up giving you closer to 4-8 hours. Only 1% commission.

Advice to Management

Your stores are so unorganized, and you guys do everything the old fashion way. If you were to just put time into updating the entire infrastructure things would be so much less stressful for employees.

4. "More bad than good!"

Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I worked at Solstice Sunglass Boutiques part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average Pay, nice bonuses if you get them, and good discounts on sunglasses

Cons

Always short staffed, unrealistic long term goals and selling goals, upper management constantly trying to get rid of people for the most minuet mistakes, the DMs lack of respect, rampant favoritism and disrespect to management and staff. No sense of team work or team building. Overall the company doesn't value their employees views or opinions

Advice to Management

My best advice when you see droves of people quitting take a hint.

"Solstice Sunglass Boutiques, Insight"

Former Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY

I worked at Solstice Sunglass Boutiques full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offered a great selection of sunglasses.

Cons

The company lacked many business ethics including, laying a team oriented foundation; training staff on product knowledge, brand awareness, professional etiquette; and, the focus to customer service, customer retention and client relations. In many occasions, I had to contact customers to apologize for the 'teams' behavior and their insulting comments and/or actions. The management did not provide enough training to distinguishing price vs. value and most importantly, the 'team' lacked to work together.

Advice to Management

You must ameliorate these issues to to win the satisfactory of both, employees and customers.

"Was a great job, went downhill fast"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Solstice Sunglass Boutiques part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in an environment like Solstice can push you to be a better sales person and can teach you how to step out of your comfort zone while having fun.

Cons

Where to start? Corporate seems like a mess in every aspect. Getting in any valuable stock is a mess and nearly impossible. Rather than receiving styles that would easily be sold, they decide to ship us 20 pairs of the same frame when we already have 10 sitting in backstock that we rarely move. Corporate is opposed to change, yet when we can't sell what we don't have, the sales people become the problem but not the lack of product. They don't seem to understand that people are SET on certain styles, and if we don't have the product they'll just go elsewhere to find it. They find it easier to say we aren't trying rather than just getting the styles that we could blow through on the sales floor. It's not a lack of effort on our part, but rather it feels like a lack of effort on corporate's end. The company is opposed to change, but change is necessary if you want to keep up with the times. There's too much pressure on the staff to perform, but we can't perform without any frames that people are requesting on a daily basis. Rather than making smart decisions, they invest in extremely questionable brands that customers have never shown any interest in whatsoever. Solstice throws away their money at cheap non-profit bearing brands yet ignore the many constant requests for the necessities. For the caliber of sales people that they're looking for, it seems a bit unrealistic. They want the best sales people on the planet, but any great sales person that knows what they're worth isn't going to be content with part time at $10-$12 an hour while constantly being chewed out for "bad performance." When confronted about bad performance, rather than getting any real answer or solution, the only response from corporate is, "People buy from people. Show them great customer service and the sales will come." That's not a real solution to anything, it is just a high hope that maybe great customer service will stop them from shopping at our competitors which is a long shot. Staffing can often be an issue as well. The turn around rate for this company is outrageous, often leading to long periods of time of only running the store with half the required staff which can lead to having to live at work. A part timer working full time hours minus the benefits can often get frustrating, seeing as how we basically live at work yet don't get paid the recognition or benefits for it.

Advice to Management

It seems that upper management has their work cut out for them. Stop being so opposed to change. While we're struggling to make sales because of product, other companies are absolutely putting us to shame. Instead of having the, "Just sale what we have," mentality, you should actually get the product that people are asking for on a daily basis. Listen to your sales people, they're on the sales floor every day and know the business better than anyone else does. At this rate, this company won't be around too much longer unless a major change is in the future.

7. "Look Elsewhere"

Pros

Employee Discount. Great location within the Irvine Spectrum forthe store.

Cons

Upper management doesn't believe in employees.
    Not much room for growth within the company

"Horrible Company"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Give Solstice 1 star for the great health benefits! Everything else is horrible!

Cons

Being in a low volume store makes it impossible to bonus even with the new bonus structure. District Manager never listens to Store Managers about they true business that goes on within the stores. Always thinks she's right and will never apologize when wrong or mistakes have been made. Never felt like the DM was fully trained to run the district.

Advice to Management

They will work you until you are burnt out!!

"Keyholder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I worked at Solstice Sunglass Boutiques part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short hours , discount , staff, easy daily routine

Cons

Small work environment , small number of staff, lack of training (everything done on computer)

Advice to Management

Look into having people who don't only have sales experience but have manage my skills.

10. "Company loves money"

Pros

The company is good to work for because it helps you to learn slit about business and how to analyze your goals and numbers

Cons

If the store isnt making anymoney. The company blames it on the employees. Thry forget that product could be an issue, matketting could be an issue and weather could be an issue

Advice to Management

Listen to what enployees have to say