Solutia Reviews | Glassdoor

Solutia CEO Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not a bad place to be"

Former Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst

Pros

salaries are on the high end and working conditions were good. There was a good work life balance for most.

Cons

With the open floor plan, coworkers could be distracting. The worst part was the complete invisibility of senior leadership. Although they were just down the hall, they very rarely came out of their area to interact with employees. Too hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Interact with your employees, it creates an atmosphere of teamwork and makes people feel valued. It takes very little time and little to know resources to improve connectedness and engagement.

2. "Got Laid Off - Not Fun"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at Solutia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent. I worked for a great guy. The work was good. The environment was very nice. I liked my job very much.

Cons

The Home Office made the decision to close our office. I was told that I no longer had job and walked out the door within an hour. I think I had PTSD for weeks afterward.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the people who did the firing could show a tiny bit of compassion. They were so cold. But maybe there really isn't any good way to let someone know that they no longer have a job. And these days you can't let people linger... they may steal information, sabotage the computer network, etc. There was a severance package that was decent, so I give them points for that.

3. "consultant"

Pros

Very progressive manufacturing management especially at the plant level

Cons

IT out of control with misdirected enterprise initiatives

4. "friendly people working hard to bring company back from former bankruptcy"

Pros

Solutia was full of friendly, helpful people. Everyone was welcome, participation and alternate viewpoints were considered, and there are lots of opportunities to distinguish yourself and projects to tackle. Pace of work was very comfortable with a healthy personal life balance, and a strong camaraderie around the office, which extended to off-campus socializing.

Cons

There are a lot of vestiges of the bankruptcy, like out-of-date documentation and aging equipment and physical plant. It was telling that few of the employees were interested in buying company stock.

Advice to Management

I actually think the management is on a good track, I don't know what else I would recommend doing. They've tried to identify strong young candidates and develop from within, and I think that's a healthy approach.

5. "Solutia was a great company before the buy-out by Eastman."

Pros

Set my own work hours, flexible working conditions, employee oriented (before Eastman), great location, in my home state.

Cons

Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman

Advice to Management

Was not interested

6. "Pretty good place to work."

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Management is pretty down to earth most of the time. There were plenty of challenges and the day to day job was interesting. Work and life balance could be kept in check with a bit of effort.

Cons

Given the nature of the cyclical business you always had to be worried about layoffs. Not a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder - people have been there a long time.

7. "Company was bought out"

Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

constant change, travel, opportunity for the right person

Cons

company was bought out, a lot of uncertainty, Executive staff has all been turned over with in the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

create core beliefs and values systems and then implement them

8. "Solid"

Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, good smart people working there.

Cons

Got sold to Eastman - a lot of good people lost their job

9. "Was a good company"

Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation, summer hours, people, location

Cons

management are cut throat, too many secrets, no cross training, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Start listening to employees

10. "Interesting company with opportunity"

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

global roles (have been posted in different parts of the US; was eligible for global assignment)
    challenging project work (because the company is relatively lean, it makes the employees wear multiple hats nd do different roles at the same time, opportunity to build your resume is good in the short term
    friendly co-workers (folks are supportive and want to make sure that everyone works together cohesively as a team and share responsibilities)

Cons

strategic confusion (too many changes in vision and strategy resulting in confusion down the line)
    bankruptcy baggage (having gone thru a painful chapter 11 filing, the credibility of upper management is low)
    bonus uncertainty (while salaries are around median for the industry, there is always uncertainty abut the extent of bonus and whether it will improve year-over-year)

Advice to Management

have clarity and consisitency of vision
    communicate more with employees at all levels
    identify new and exciting growth platforms and invest more in marketing and R & D