Solutia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Solutia CEO Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sent my job to China"

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of family among employees of 10+ years

Cons

Obsessed with rules and regulations to the point of not accomplishing much work. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They bought the company I worked for and everything was fine for the first several years, not many changes. The chief complaint during 1999-2008 was the sense that my department was frequently chosen to test out the latest management's "social experiment". We went through 5S, "Pay for skills", "OFT concept (open room), ISO, and many other petty/piddly regulations that were basically a drag on our time and made getting the job done very stressful. I used to wonder sometimes if I was there to handle customers or to fill out spreadsheets for management to track what was going on. In 2009 the system was switched to SAP, then like clockwork - six months later the entire customer service operation was farmed out to St. Louis & various Int'l. Centers. We were given the option to move there with an allowance of just 5000 or take a severance package. We had to sign an agreement not to work in the same field for two years if we chose the severance. I had to train my own replacement that was sent to visit from Shanghai. Very awkward. No input from management on the training either. It was basically "Hi, I am here from China to spend five days learning your job, by the way can you give me a ride to my hotel and pick me up too?". Needless to say, I found it a very unpleasant place to work during the last couple of years leading into 2010. At the end, not much good came out of it other than the paycheck.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Lots of people were impacted by a very poor decision to move jobs away from a small community.

2. "Seriously Scary Management"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

The people are dedicated and competent

Cons

The management is out of control. One division leadership team would spend time in kareoke bars in China (read up on this in the news to get my point) or other places (direct from2 members of that staff who felt very uncomfortable). Another Senior manager no-bid a consulting contract and then tried to cover up. Senior management had opportunity to sell Nylon division at attractive price but ended up selling at a loss. These guys are only out for themselves

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to people who lack ethics

3. "Used to be a great place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Did not like the direction the company was going in. Was a mutual decision by both parties to part ways. Upper management often ignored what the lower level employees had to say. the arrogance in the way of doing business is a downfall.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by. Upper managements goals and lower employees goals are not consistent with each other. Need to improve relations with employees.

Advice to Management

Listen and stop the arrogance. Make goals clear and concise.

4. "Everyone seems to be working 3 jobs at once!"

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Passionate people about the products and their jobs. Lost of opportunity for global work. Pay is at or above market when they want you.

Cons

Long hours, and huge reduction if workforce means everyone is working 3 jobs at once. People are not given a chance to succeed. HR does not compare to what exists in world class organizations.

Advice to Management

Offer some hope for the loyal people. A lot of good and loyal people just need to be given a chance to succeed and satisfaction will follow.

5. ""Continues to regress""

I worked at Solutia full-time

Pros

Was a very good place to work and I was fortunate to advance into several different roles throughout my career and learned quite a bit. Very safety conscious company. A lot of good people work there.

Cons

Upper management at the plant level. Several of the site leadership team members were less than professional. Only listened to certain people. They do things in a very sneaky and unprofessional manner which makes for a very poor working environment. Did not practice what they preached in regards to values.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach especially when it comes to values. People don't work for companies they work for managers. You should think about that as you continue to see people exit the company. It is the HR and plant management at the site level that has made the company one that people want to leave.

6. "Achieving profit at all cost by upper management"

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Office used to be in good location.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management. Try to achieve profit at all cost, thus sacrificing employees. Poor job evaluation - telling you you are doing good, but when comes to appraisel, they give you poor rank due to their system. Slow pay increment.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

7. "Cronyism is rampant"

Pros

Good opportunities for those in the circle. Lots of great projects are coming up for engineers

Cons

Cronyism is taken to a new level. Lots of politics. People who are part of the inner circle are promoted regularly or "saved" from firing due to incompetence. Unusually large presense in Belguim.....

Advice to Management

Stop robbing the company. Take a look at the bonus-to-revenue ratio at Solutia for top execs. Compare to a Fortune 50 company. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

8. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

New leadership, no debt, should be opportunities as economy improves

Cons

Lack commitment to fiber business, more commodity oriented then value brands

Advice to Management

Understand the markets served and be pro active

"Too Many Cut-Backs"

Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art technologies
    Many learning opportunities
    ok pay
    Bonus (although never consistant)

Cons

There have been far too many cut backs without consideration to it's effect on quality/safety.
    Make a safety mistake and lose your job (saw that more than once).
    Corporate goals exist but are hollow (nobody pays real attention to them).

Advice to Management

Company was bought by Eastman Chemical. Hopefully, they will see how incredibly understaffed Solutia is, and allow them to hire more personnel. Not many happy people there....

10. "Interesting company with opportunity"

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

global roles (have been posted in different parts of the US; was eligible for global assignment)
    challenging project work (because the company is relatively lean, it makes the employees wear multiple hats nd do different roles at the same time, opportunity to build your resume is good in the short term
    friendly co-workers (folks are supportive and want to make sure that everyone works together cohesively as a team and share responsibilities)

Cons

strategic confusion (too many changes in vision and strategy resulting in confusion down the line)
    bankruptcy baggage (having gone thru a painful chapter 11 filing, the credibility of upper management is low)
    bonus uncertainty (while salaries are around median for the industry, there is always uncertainty abut the extent of bonus and whether it will improve year-over-year)

Advice to Management

have clarity and consisitency of vision
    communicate more with employees at all levels
    identify new and exciting growth platforms and invest more in marketing and R & D