SolutionStream Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Travis Cook

1. "Good environment, great place to be!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Pros

I enjoyed working for SolutionStream. Even with employees working on site at various locations as well as in the office, they try to keep a sense of continuity and a fun atmosphere with regular activities and functions (movies, lunches, BBQ's, parties) that all employees come too. All of the people I worked with were great! There are 3 C-level executives. I personally worked with 2 and they were very good to work with overall. Positive and energetic with good personal involvement in various projects and aspects of the business. I enjoyed my experience.

Cons

Not really any Cons for me. It's a great place to work!

Advice to Management

I enjoyed being a part of this office and I think the management works to create and encourage a fun culture and environment. I liked going to my job every day! That's pretty cool!

Sep 7, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us! We are always sad to see great people go but we wish you the best.

"Churn em and burn em"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolutionStream (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company feel, good location, company sponsored events, family and work life balance, xbox consoles for weekend and afterwork hours for use.

Cons

Management is not qualified, and makes poor choices far too often. During my time here, i have seen far too many employees let go. Some that were only here a month or so. There are lots of positive reviews on here, but only because the company sends out an email inviting employee's to rate them. Since the invites are sent at different times, it's easy for them to know who submitted a poor review, so most just say nice things. This place has no time frame for learning, or training of new employees, or letting them catch up to speed once hired. During the interview, they pitch an easy going place, that is laid back. However that is not the case here, and you will find that out very quickly. Management lets people go, like it's nothing, and then go right to lunch, heck i saw it happen just today to a guy who did all he was expected to do. I know my time is coming soon too as well as everyone else non-management that works here. So im being honest on my review to help other potential employees make a good choice as to where they decide to work. The health insurance is poor, coverage is bad, and cost is high, medication coverage is horrible, HR is a 3rd party company, so getting things resolved is a nightmare. Pay scale is under par for the market, but they will tell you that they do 3 evals a year and year end raises are based on those. However even oyr top performers are not given marks enough for a raise, so dony count on those when negotiating salery. Also, there is alot of gossipy people in this company. Managers are barely seen around here doing anything productive, except when organising where to go to lunch. First opportunity i get I'm leaving here as well.

Advice to Management

Get some training or mive aside and let someone more qualified take over.

"Ethical company"

Former Employee - Senior Corporate Technical Recruiter in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Corporate Technical Recruiter in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at SolutionStream (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, ethical, high caliber developers. This company is filled with people who truly care about the work and the other people doing the work.

Cons

I think they may have given up on the Arizona office just a little too soon.

Advice to Management

Never allow the culture to change.

Sep 7, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Again, I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us!

"Great Company - best job I have had"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolutionStream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is full of great people and that makes all the difference. It feels like a big family. You can add to your resume as different projects come in. There are opportunities to advance and grow. If you do your job you will succeed here. When your contract comes to an end you are kept around for the next one, not just let go. Compensation is competitive and the opportunity for overtime is nice, not forced. Benefits are average for this industry. You start earning PTO right off the bat and any extra hours you work can be put towards time off or paid out. Management seems to care about the employees and their success. This truly has been the best job I have had.

Cons

Every job has some things that they can do better but with that being said SolutionStream does a good job. The consulting life isn’t for everyone so I can understand some may struggle with it. Some contracts are off site so feeling apart of SolutionStream can be hard but the BBQ’s, parties, movies and lunch and learns help keep you feeling connected. You need to put out some effort on your side as well.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your employees first, they truly are the greatest asset.

Sep 7, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I love to hear that we as a company have been able to assist you in growing as a professional. As a company, we do our best to show that we ... More

"The Only Reason People Stay Is..."

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SolutionStream (More than a year)

Pros

They do pay OT beyond the 40 hours (if billable). But, this is the only reason people stay is the huge earning potential.

Cons

The managing partners are either screaming and swearing at you, or non existent.

One of teh DEV managers is condesending and sexist (there is a reason I didn't see very many woman there). I've also saw him make one of the other developers cry.

The brag about Laggon and Christmes giveaways, but fail to tell you they only have (5) paid holidays. The benefits are horrible too.

The base pay is not up to part with Market value. We developers were not paid well.

They will pressure you to work OT, even if you don't want to. They will also try to get you to work for free (offline).

The dominant religious undertones are unbareable

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

Advice to Management

Leave, live off your millions, and let real people, caring people run your company.

"An excellent place to push yourself, learn, and contribute"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolutionStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed working at SolutionStream. If you stay long enough, you will have many opportunities to work with very knowledgeable people on various projects. They work on an hourly basis (billable to clients) but guarantee you 40 hours. Hours over 40 are paid at the same hourly rate. On the rare occasion that a 40-60 hour week is needed, the resulting paycheck is great.

Really fun parties / company family movies / Lagoon day / Christmas gift party, etc.

Flexibility. You may get assigned to a long-term in-client-office contract. You also might get to juggle several projects at once. You can say what you like as well, and they'll try to get you on that type of contract.

Cons

You must be a contributor. I see this as a pro, some might see it as a con. If you want to settle back into a slow project at a large corporation, this isn't the place for you. If you want to get things done, and build cool software, check these guys out.

Benched time can be scary.

The organization is really flat, so there is not a large career path (which is offset by the strong learning-path you can have, if you want.)

"Building my future"

Current Employee - Technical Talent Sourcer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Talent Sourcer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolutionStream part-time (More than a year)

Pros

SolutionStream has really helped me to start loving the field of Computer Science. I am surrounded by amazing developers and have learned a lot from the people I work with. SolutionStream takes care of all their employees, and makes you feel like you are an important asset to the company. They make me want to continue working here.

Cons

The only cons I would have to say are the cons that come with and custom solution shop, and that's the working at different locations and sometimes having only a handful of people in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep on taking care of us the way you do. I don't think that many people will want to leave because you make us feel appreciated.

"Does not live up to expectations"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at SolutionStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe I worked with some of the most intelligent human beings on the planet. The resources available on a project though sometimes thin always top notch.

Cons

No true leadership. The wrong personnel have been placed in management positions.
    You are expected to figure out everything on your own mainly because your "boss" doesn't know the answers. Very little to almost nonexistent mentoring as a new employee. It is understandable at this point in your career, that you should know what you are doing, but you are not even given timely access to project files for the project you are going to be graded against.
    Watch out for hidden expectations. They are everywhere.

Advice to Management

Provide proper expectations up front to your employees. Provide managers / practice managers with management training. Currently, it just seems like the only reason they have the job, is because they have seniority. No true leadership skills.

"Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolutionStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solutionstream is the real deal - great pay, fantastic benefits, and rewarding work. The leadership is extremely approachable and accessible to the employees, you get the sense that they really care about the team members and their families. Beyond that, Solutionstream is an innovative custom development company that is unmatched in Utah. They attract some of the best talent this state has to offer.

Cons

Hard to come up with any negatives about the company, it's a pretty awesome place to work.

Advice to Management

It's a small thing, but providing more drinks in the kitchen would be a welcomed additional.

"Can be a rough transition if you aren't a consultant already"

Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SolutionStream (Less than a year)

Pros

They go above and beyond with benefits and perks to keep employees happy. Flexible schedules and work-from-home for proven employees. Most employees will work on a variety of projects and will naturally acquire new jobs skills.

Cons

No day-to-day guidance or communication with supervisors. Expectations are not communicated (other than "complete this project") - but when you don't meet all their hidden expectations, you will be instantly terminated without notice. There are often no resources to get help with problems as employees are often out on assignment. No mentoring whatsoever. You must track every hour and attempt to bill a client for those hours or you are losing the company money, which can be stressful. QA department doesn't really do much, which means you have to QA everything yourself or suffer the consequences (not something they tell you).

Advice to Management

Consider spending a little more time getting new employees up to speed with the environment, expectations and workflow so they aren't surprised to hear they are not meeting expectations.