Solutionary Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Steven A Idelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I cannot recommend making Solutionary one's career, but it a good place to start (in 2 reviews)

• Great benefits, a caring and management that cares about not only its employees but their families as well (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The legacy management team has almost no say in what goes on due to the amount of red tape in place since the integration (in 7 reviews)

• Growing pains, this is normal with any company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for."

Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay, and job outlook. I was amazed to find out what opportunities were available once I got on board.

Cons

There's been a lot of executive changes due to being bought out by NTT but nothing that should deter anyone from applying.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and looking out for your employees. I don't see a reason for all the nasty reviews I see. If you're willing to work hard I feel it's recognized by management.

"Not the place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ActiveGuard will be the platform that wins in the integration with NTT. Solutionary is now a global company and that allows for more opportunities for growth.

Cons

Since the integration started there is a lot of red tape; it's not as easy to get to senior management as it once was. Employees were promised jobs would not be eliminated but that hasn't been the case. The legacy management team has almost no say in what goes on due to the amount of red tape in place since the integration. There is a lot of uncertainty and many people are uneasy about what the future will hold. Many current employees are wondering when the other shoe is going to drop and if/when they will lose their jobs.

Advice to Management

The new management should confer with legacy management and understand the uneasiness of employees. They should also slow the change down and not do it overnight.

"Childish"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Omaha, NE

Pros

As many have said, this is a good company to get your foot in the door in the IT industry. The compensation is good, as well as benefits.

Cons

Management at this company is childish. People not in management positions in this company are treated like garbage, and that is perfectly okay with the senior management staff. Personal grudges are valid reasons for firing employees, and your perceptual value at the company is based upon how friendly you are able to make yourself to your management team. Many of them are very politically conservative, and they don't have any problem letting you know that they don't like you if you are not. Employees who have very bad attitudes and ways of treating other people there are constantly rewarded and promoted.

I recommend staying far, far away from this company. It will likely get liquidated or otherwise dismantled by NTT at some point and I honestly don't know what that will entail. I would only recommend them to a new college grad who needs IT experience, spend no more than a year there and then move on.

Advice to Management

If you are a manager at this company, you are not going to listen to anything anyone has to say, anyway, so this section of this review is entirely irrelevant. However, my advice would be to start treating people with some respect, which is supposedly one of the core values of the "value wheel", and actually listen to them when they criticize you, instead of trying to silence dissent. Happy employees won't need to dissent against you. Free food in the break rooms is not going to fix it. You need a HUGE cultural change at this company, and you need it fast. The only way to achieve that is to start firing managers that disrespect their employees.

"Don't believe all of the negative reviews regarding Solutionary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Solutionary full-time

Pros

The company is extremely customer focused. Almost to a fault. The security operations side has great employment potential if you apply yourself. The company has a family feel. Groups mingle after hours.

Cons

On the engineering side, not cutting edge technology. Excellent standard EE stack. Excellent advancement opportunities from with in. Most of the engineering staff are long time employees.

Advice to Management

This will have to wait until after NTT changes take affect.

5. "Best job I ever"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plan to stay and hopefully grow within the environment, as it grows and develops with the rest of the NTT sister companies.

The majority of shift management is respectful and great to deal with each day.

Cons

People complain about a lack of free drinks, and other silly things.
    Managers complain about people complaining.
    Complainers complain about complaining complainers.

Additional Information:
    Sadly some of the community is a bit toxic, but some of what comes off as anger is passion.

Advice to Management

Cyber Kill Chain is a useful model, but it does not need its own paragraph. We didn't develop it, it is not helping us market anything. Calling it an "Attack Step/Phase" is more open ended. and can be specified in/under the "potential impact".

6. "Great for my Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Coming to Solutionary has been a great step forward for my career and my family. Solutionary has paid for certifications and always encouraged me to grow as a professional.

Cons

Growth can squeeze employees to do more work.

"Get out as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Many very good people in the company. Unfortunately not enough

Cons

Read the reviews! The management in this company is terrible! They will beat you down talk behind your back and have the few golden children they take under their wings spy on you. The day I left looking back was one of the best days of my life. I feel sorry for all my friends who still work in this toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Retire enjoy the rest of your lives and stop make others miserable

"Very Toxic"

Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Solutionary full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, a good on-call rotation and fairly up to date technologies. Workspace was fairly nice.

Cons

Lots of puffery among people who had been there a while and treated you like an outsider. If you weren't a yes man you didn't get very far. Below standard pay.

Advice to Management

Be able to take criticism and trust your people to make decisions. If you ask for a course of action, be able to listen to it without holding it against the individual.

9. "Great place to start"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training program here is excellent. Rather than throwing you off the diving board they take the time to help you fully understand the proprietary system and work on building up your knowledge of it before having you work on harder tasks.

There is a lot of room for growth here as well and they are great about hiring from within.

Cons

Half hour lunch, but that also means we get to leave early enough to get things done in the day (if you're on day shift).

"Good on a resume, poor for personal development. Getting better though."

Current Employee - N/A in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - N/A in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable employees and a few genuinely care to help. It is a valid stepping stone for an inexperienced or new IT security professionals. But try not to focus on the proprietary software/procedures, but rather take the exposure to clients and the myriad of detection/prevention systems as the best reward for working here.
    "Getting better" should not be the way to describe a company over a decade old, but it applies. They do hire/promote from with in, but there are so many in-house issues/procedures that it feels like prior experience is completely unnecessary.
    Training is "offered", but sparse and requires a significant commitment for hourly positions that are described as "easily replaced."

Solutionary never affects my personal life and overtime is always optional. Benefits are solid and you can develop connections if you are persistent. I cannot recommend making Solutionary one's career, but it a good place to start.

Cons

Pigeon-holed positions, constantly shifting procedures attributed to "growing pains" despite being a 15 year old company, and training is slip-shod at best and also constantly changing or subjective. Learning opportunities at work are few and largely non-transferable. Client handling procedures are legacy and many have grand-fathered exceptions that override management directions given only moments before. Then direction changes again. Then again.
    Read the negative here reviews on Glassdoor. Somethings are getting better, but they are honest reviews. Management at least acknowledges that things need improving, but it frequently feels like working at a startup with the frequency of procedural changes.

Advice to Management

The culture of a security company must not be, 'The customer is always right'. Security is about a commitment to consistency and protecting your charge. Whether you are taking the company left, right, or zig zag, the action must be committed to and followed through. Reporting and technical disclosure in alerts are advised differently depending on the trainer and individual analysts are barely held to a standard.

Culture must be from the ground up and changing it after so long in practice erodes the confidence of your employees every day. The clients are not always right and the apathy of both old clients and the attitude of tenured employees who feel "untouchable" are causing you to hemorrhage talented young people who will be the ones carrying your company long after you move on.

The culture here is one of poisonous apathy and teaches young workers it is OK to
    A. Be non-commital to a course of action because if something goes wrong we will just change it tomorrow then back again after another complaint.
    B. That ignoring the extra work is fine because some one else will do it.

Finally, re-interview all your managers. Both in terms of the technical proficiency they are expected to have, supervise, and mentor, then in their decision making. There is nothing worse for a 19 year old fledgling IT professional to see than a salty manager paying more attention to their phone than the workload, then when direction from management is required, three different managers will pass different or even opposing decisions.
    The average tenure in the Operations Center is under a year because you are trying to hire talent who is aware of these and many more deficiencies. To make that worse, the job new hires are expected to do and the training provided effectively belittle/invalidate people with four year degrees/experience until they are able to move to a different department, leaving operations at its regular state of manpower deficiency.