Solutionary Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 10, 2017

4.0
Steven A Idelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I cannot recommend making Solutionary one's career, but it a good place to start (in 2 reviews)

• Great benefits, a caring and management that cares about not only its employees but their families as well (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The legacy management team has almost no say in what goes on due to the amount of red tape in place since the integration (in 7 reviews)

• Hard to get to know anyone in the SOC and have a work relationship (in 3 reviews)

1. "UX Designer II"

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Nice location in Omaha, strong support from NTT.

Cons

I have no cons to share. I worked remotely.

2. "Good Company To Work For"

Pros

Company has a lot of people that are willing to show you how to properly do something or help further your technical knowledge. Great environment with open communication.

Cons

Seems like the staff changes a lot. Hard to get to know anyone in the SOC and have a work relationship.

"Don't believe all of the negative reviews regarding Solutionary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Solutionary full-time

Pros

The company is extremely customer focused. Almost to a fault. The security operations side has great employment potential if you apply yourself. The company has a family feel. Groups mingle after hours.

Cons

On the engineering side, not cutting edge technology. Excellent standard EE stack. Excellent advancement opportunities from with in. Most of the engineering staff are long time employees.

Advice to Management

This will have to wait until after NTT changes take affect.

4. "Great for my Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Coming to Solutionary has been a great step forward for my career and my family. Solutionary has paid for certifications and always encouraged me to grow as a professional.

Cons

Growth can squeeze employees to do more work.

"Going in the right direction"

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of opportunities within the company for growth, both technically and professionally. The company is growing at a fast rate and has an excellent roadmap in place to ensure the employees are taken care of.

Cons

Going through the normal growing pains associated with any company going through change. The majority of employees can see that this change is for the better and are encouraged by management's ideas and desire to improve.

Advice to Management

See the change through. The company has come a long way in the past year and the changes have created quite a "buzz" among the employees. Excitement like this has not been the norm in the past. Delivering on improvement ideas will ensure loyalty among the ranks.

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are the capability to grow within the company. Those who disagree are only stopping themselves and are just plain ignorant. The company is growing immensely and will continue to grow with the right people. Management has gotten a lot better over the last year and also continues to get better each day.
    The company has taken to revamping several major issues to catch up with the growth as they were missed initially.

Cons

Growing pains, this is normal with any company. Those who can't see that are blinded by their own greed. Pittsburgh is a happy place. Omaha is more dramatic and seem to bring pressure onto themselves. This is a business, employees need to stop being so emotional and just do their job.
    Employees complain that management isn't fixing issues but in reality, management is just telling the employees NO to their ideas. Then they complain about it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Stick to the plan and follow through with what is being communicated throughout the company.

"Great product, awesome people, confused leadership"

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Excellent product, fair comp package, great opportunity for aspiring techies

Cons

Executive management is unable to delegate and release their management team to do their jobs

Advice to Management

Let your people do the work you hired them to do and listen to your people

"Fast Paced and Fun"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Solutionary is growing explosively as well as being recently acquired by NTT opening even more venues of growth in all product lines. This makes it a very exciting place to work. It is fast paced and the hours can be long, but the opportunity is unlimited. I found the Executive Team to be talented, but also willing to listen to new ideas and support action to implement those ideas.

I have read many of the reviews on here and I think that they show that some of the folks haven't experienced many other companies. This is not a place to go to punch a clock 9-5. I have worked in those environments including a Fortune 500 Financial Company. The difference between those companies and Solutionary is that at Solutionary, you can expand your horizons and take on as much responsibility as you can handle. I think it is that pace that has led to some negative reviews. People often say they want to go to an entrepreneurial company, not realizing what they will find in a company that is growing very quickly. You have to want to thrive in that environment.

Another thing that I thought was a plus in this company is that, in companies that are growing, mistakes are made. You are perfecting process and technology and like anything, it won't always be right the first time. I felt that although, like every company, there was some emotional and heated moments, the Executive Team was very nurturing and forward looking in those times. In a large company, most large outages lead to someone being fired or demoted. I think if folks understood that, they would appreciate the Executive engagement more than they do today.

Folks are given plenty of chances and even allowed to migrate from vertical to vertical to find the spot that best suits them. Solutionary is hiring the person and their talent and will allow that person to grow their skills. We had folks go from IT to Sales and vice versa. Overall I'm not sure what else you could ask for as far as opportunity and advancement.

This company promotes from within with very few outside additions. There have been some external hires lately, but that is to fill skill sets that don't exist in the company currently, so no one is being passed over.

Cons

Of course in smaller companies the hours can be long sometimes as everyone is wearing more than one hat. I say that just shows the opportunity to be promoted. Many of the mid level managers of the company started as entry level personnel and over the years were promoted due to their talent.

I do think that the Executive Team is overly generous in giving folks the benefit of the doubt. That shows how great a family feel there is at the company, but long term that does not build a strong team. As the Peter Principle states, folks can rise to a point, beyond which they are not going to be successful. I think this is a case of hearts in the right place, maybe not getting the needed results.

Again when I hear folks complain about this, they should look in the mirror and see how many times someone has mentored and helped them overcome and obstacle that might have had a different result at another company. We have all needed a second chance or some mentoring in our careers.

Advice to Management

I relocated otherwise I would still be working with the Solutionary Team. I think many of the needed steps are being taken. I do think that continuing to drive process improvement and Key Performance Indicators to formalize some of the work will help. I think that being as objective as possible in reviews and setting SMART goals (simple, measurable, attainable, etc) will help manage folks into the right positions. Maybe a formal mentoring program for managers that are struggling may also help. Overall a great place to work in my opinion. The only negatives really equate to Executives caring about people's success too much so if that is the worst you get, hard to complain.

"Fast Paced and Still Growing"

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with upward mobility. Fast paced, but also a flexible and casual work environment. If you are willing to work hard and put in the time, it is usually recognized.

Cons

Like any company, no one is 100% perfect. They are taking appropriate actions to fix the areas that need improvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the areas of improvement and the resources that will take Solutionary to the next level.

"Great experience, lots of unique challenges, tons to learn!"

Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solutionary is a MSSP rivaled by no other with regards to its passion for customer service.

There are always unique challenges to face, and working with many platforms lets you dabble in a little bit of everything.

There are lots of very talented people working at Solutionary, which provides a lot of experiences to learn something new and exciting.

Cons

Since the company is growing at a crazy pace, there is often plenty of work to go around.

Advice to Management

Push for more subject matter experts. Send employees to more workshops and conferences to strengthen their abilities.