Solutions for Progress, Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Solutions for Progress, Inc Reviews

3.6
Chris Jacobs

"you'll probably get laid off"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Solutions for Progress, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some really cool people enjoying a relaxed work atmosphere
    - Plenty of time to learn
    - Colleagues really care about the mission
    - SfP hires a diverse workforce, which is rare in the tech industry

Cons

- Low salary: My base pay was well below market. It was reduced even further by company-wide pay cuts during hard times.
    - Out of touch management: I don't know if anyone's crunching the numbers. When I was hired we were on the verge of signing a big contract that promised lots of opportunities for growth. When that contract fell through, it wasn't a break-even situation. They couldn't make payroll, cut our salaries and eventually laid off 20% of the company.
    - Seniority-based layoffs: Nobody deserves to be laid off, but don't expect strong performance to save you.
    - Repeated layoffs: Since I left, there have been multiple rounds of layoffs. The company repeatedly hires people they can't afford to pay year-round.
    - Technical Debt: They use a large sub-system written in a proprietary language. Over time, debt accrues.
    - No modern tools: Programmers at SfP don't use modern programming tools. Don't expect to be very marketable when you get laid off.

Advice to Management

Warn candidates about how often people get laid off before they take the job

2. "Help Desk"

I have been working at Solutions for Progress, Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very smart, nice, helpful and easy to work with. It's a very collaborative working environment here. Flexible work and life balance.

Cons

Working at the help desk is only seasonal employment and I would have liked to work here for longer if possible.

3. "Software engineer"

Pros

Working for SfP has benefits way beyond the Salary. The company truly cares about the employees and their well being, more so than any other company I have worked for. The environment is very relaxed and the office is filled with art.

Cons

The company works for the public sector and, as such, has many of the limitations of a non-profit. You will likely be paid less than industry standards.

5. "Good place to work"

Pros

laid back company to work for and nice enviroment

Cons

It is a small company so its kind of unstable