I worked at Solutions for Progress, Inc full-time (Less than a year)
- Some really cool people enjoying a relaxed work atmosphere
- Plenty of time to learn
- Colleagues really care about the mission
- SfP hires a diverse workforce, which is rare in the tech industry
- Low salary: My base pay was well below market. It was reduced even further by company-wide pay cuts during hard times.
- Out of touch management: I don't know if anyone's crunching the numbers. When I was hired we were on the verge of signing a big contract that promised lots of opportunities for growth. When that contract fell through, it wasn't a break-even situation. They couldn't make payroll, cut our salaries and eventually laid off 20% of the company.
- Seniority-based layoffs: Nobody deserves to be laid off, but don't expect strong performance to save you.
- Repeated layoffs: Since I left, there have been multiple rounds of layoffs. The company repeatedly hires people they can't afford to pay year-round.
- Technical Debt: They use a large sub-system written in a proprietary language. Over time, debt accrues.
- No modern tools: Programmers at SfP don't use modern programming tools. Don't expect to be very marketable when you get laid off.
Advice to Management
Warn candidates about how often people get laid off before they take the job
I have been working at Solutions for Progress, Inc (Less than a year)
Everyone is very smart, nice, helpful and easy to work with. It's a very collaborative working environment here. Flexible work and life balance.
Working at the help desk is only seasonal employment and I would have liked to work here for longer if possible.
Working for SfP has benefits way beyond the Salary. The company truly cares about the employees and their well being, more so than any other company I have worked for. The environment is very relaxed and the office is filled with art.
The company works for the public sector and, as such, has many of the limitations of a non-profit. You will likely be paid less than industry standards.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Review
laid back company to work for and nice enviroment
It is a small company so its kind of unstable
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?