Soma Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Soma Technology President Photios Dalamagas
Photios Dalamagas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent Place to Work and Competent Business"

Current Employee - Marketing in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly and helpful people to work with
    - Culture invokes one of learning, and ambition to grow
    - Challenging and fulfilling projects
    - You get out exactly what you put in

Cons

- People feel more like friends than they do like coworkers

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing because it is working well, and the employees love working here. Great Environment.

2. "Never Trust Someone with a Bad Handshake"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Soma Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quitting will be easy since there is no opportunity to move up and you'll feel underpaid.

Cons

My time at Soma Technology was short as I was fired in the middle of the fourth week. The day after I returned from being sick with food poisoning. While taking a sick day in the first year does not look good to bosses, I do not believe this is why I was fired. However, I did feel weak that day and my mind wasn't exactly in the best place. I got myself confused over a few things and went to ask about them to my boss. He claimed to me that I was unorganized (not true, because I sorted the extremely disorganized files in the back and kept a neat work environment). He told me I made ridiculous excuses (also not true, because I admitted when I made a mistake and expressed personal fault numerous times).

He said he came to the conclusion that he could not continue checking on me, which is dubious because all I would do is ask simple questions and he'd go on and on repeating himself, making it out to be a bigger issue than necessary. He also kept sending me emails I was already getting assuming I wasn't checking my emails. He also said I wasn’t understanding the work, which I could see him thinking. I never felt certain things were clarified and that I wasn’t getting to the comfort level I needed with certain tasks. However, I did understand the work. I simply didn’t feel comfortable with it and he did not take the time to help me feel comfortable with it. He was too busy taking longer than necessary lunch breaks, coming in late and talking to coworkers, but never me though.

Essentially, this boss never tried to get to know me or the kind of worker I was. If anything, he came off like I had no significance. He never talked to me other than work related issues, his lunch group actively excluded me and when I tried to make some attempt to get to know him, he shut me down. His attitude definitely spread to the other workers because they also became increasingly awkward and unfriendly, with the exception of a select few. I felt extremely uncomfortable in the work environment there and I felt set up to fail because people did not like me. I never got any word of my progress from my boss, neither negative or positive and I always felt like I was drifting. By the end of my time at this company, I felt ostracized to the point that it was distracting me from my work. Even the woman behind me was getting a worse attitude so I always felt the problem was looking at my back.

I worked hard and put in a lot of effort in the time I was there and it definitely could’ve worked, but the work environment was not a fit for me as the work personalities there were shallow. The boss did not like me and obviously he can’t fire me for only his feelings. In my last moments with this company he told me what he perceived were my problems and rather than trying to figure out a way to make it work, he told me he’d have to let me go. I asked him if I was fired, he responded, I’m letting you go. He couldn’t say the words, “you’re fired”. That type of coward is someone you’d expect would have a weak handshake and considering he gave me one in the interview, this end result is not a surprise.

This is the kind of company that starts you off with very low pay while there being no opportunity to move up. A few people have even been forced on salary so that their overtime pay gets cut. They do company events consistently, which sounds good, but to enjoy them I needed to like alcohol and volleyball to enjoy them. I drink on very rare occasion and absolutely dislike the idea of drinking while on the clock. They can drive home drunk like idiots while I feel safe knowing the soma bullet has been taken out of my wound.

Advice to Management

Restructure yourself.

"Great Atmosphere and Great Facility"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Atmosphere.
    - Great Facility.
    - Treats their customers AND employees with the utmost respect.
    - I would recommend their service to a friend.
    - Professional company.

Cons

- Nothing to dislike about this company. They are very professional.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the devoted hard work you do every day!

"Decent Job"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Bloomfield, CT

Pros

Job was very easy friendly employees

Cons

My only dislike about the job is they can be a bit unorganized.

Advice to Management

Become more organized

"Mechanic"

Current Employee - Mechanic in New Britain, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanic in New Britain, CT

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company allows you to pretty much work like it is your own business. You get what you give and if you can prove your success and hardwork, they will take great care of you.
    Some employees make this place very fun and care for you, management cares for employees, which at times is taken advantage of.

Cons

There are certainly a few sour apples and it is important to stay away from them (for the sake of everyone's happiness and well being) as they are just depressed people in real life.

Company can work on getting more organized.

Advice to Management

There are some gem employees that need to be given more management responsibilities.

Please continue to grow the company and give bonuses like last year, every year moving forward.

"Engineer"

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time

Pros

Small Family kind Culture. Opportunity to learn. Good as a first job.

Cons

No growth. Poor management.

"Disorganized management"

I worked at Soma Technology full-time

Pros

It's like working at a UN office....lots of different cultures.

Cons

EVERYTHING. Bad pay, bad management, HR even fled the building screaming.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your people

"Good Company to start your career"

Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organiced super nice management

Cons

Not that I can contribute to

Advice to Management

You guys are perfect !!

"I have better experiences"

Current Employee - One More Piece of the Puzzle in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - One More Piece of the Puzzle in Bloomfield, CT

Pros

Good place to get a Emigration Clearance and paying back breaking your back and something else

Cons

Everything the other comment said is true 100% Total Disorganization

"Corporate but Family Oriented"

I have been working at Soma Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This industry can be very competitive and has it's challenging moments. Its a great place for someone new or seasonsed to work in this type of manufacturing environment. It's a small organization with many perks. It's a very personable place to work.

Cons

It is a laid back "business casual" environment. Its not strict corporate so people may be adverse to working in this type of enviroment where you are independent and are self sufficient 75% of the time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It's been 20 years so something must be right.