Somerset Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Math Teacher"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Somerset Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charter schools allow a lot of freedom. Smaller class sizes are nice.

Cons

Charter schools can start with few materials.

Advice to Management

Get all the required materials. Coach teachers rather than letting them go.

2. "Low Pay"

Pros

It is a nice, new facility.

Cons

Low Pay, horrible administration, no control on behaviors, and poor work environment.

3. "The turnover rate is high for a reason"

I worked at Somerset Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. There are very few *if any* pros for working at somerset but, one of the big ones is that some of your students are absolutely amazing and you love them like they were your own children. I miss my kids dearly.

2. Another positive is that depending on which department you end up in and (whether you are teaching middle or high) your team members might be awesome (I still actively hang out with some of mine and they tell me things have gotten worse), but there are HUGE rifts in individual departments AND there is some middle vs. high quarrels.

3.Not really a positive for reason mentioned below but, there are some nice "events "here and over there in the far distance when teachers need to get work done.

Cons

The year I left somerset 12 teachers left along with me. TWELVE!! Several of those teachers left mid-year!!

1. As with quite a few teachers at Somerset, I started off working there as a Substitute and then eventually got thrown into a teaching position. MANY of us who are like this are not experienced, and not certified to be there teaching.

2. Lack of discipline. There is a HUGE discipline problem in somerset. Rules are there to be enforced but, be forewarned that even if you follow protocol you might get in trouble for being "too harsh" or "for not having proof." OR you will find that admin will suddenly change the rules, making you lose power in your own classroom. They use a system called hero it's an absolute joke, even the kids laugh.

3. The cameras. There are cameras in every classroom which is cool for moments when students are caught cheating, someone gets hurts, that kind of thing. However, in my experience the cameras are used in a 'Big Brother' kind of way. I've had to sit and watch myself on camera while admin pointed out my every wrong doing.

4. Seniority issues/Benefiting those who are 'in the group'/favoritism . Somerset will only back up those who have been there the longest. This is really strange and unfortunate, there is a huge 'in group' there, as if the employees themselves were children. If you're not in the group expect those who are 'in' to have a more better experience at somerset than you. They don't get disciplined, they can do what they want, and their students can run amuck with no issue. Their student TAs input grades, they sit at their desk all day, their students can pound the walls, but they are immune.

5. You will get talked about. Like the above employees act like children, they whisper and gossip behind your back and anything will be believed. When I was just a substitute several people warned me "Be careful who you 'befriend' and what you say to whom". I didn't think much of it till I taught full time. It's true you can't trust many people. Not everyone is a good person.

6. They run a business not a school. Somerset runs a costumer service business, if a parent complains they get what they want.

7. Lack of support. Teachers are not supported, we are underappreciated and underpaid. Many teachers who left were struggling to their wits end and it's like they didn't matter.

8. What principal? No really, where is he??

9. Events ! Yay! Wait, on my planning day? Now a good "team building" event is fun especially when there's drinks (since Lord knows any Teacher could use a drink). However, there was one specific incident on the very last planning day of the year when we were all forced to go to a bowling alley and bowl. The message of the intercom was the cherry on top "You're welcome and you have to"

10. There's too much more to say but if any of the above doesn't get the message across, think about why so many students leave somerset after middle school and why teachers put their own kids into different schools.

Really just don't work here.

Advice to Management

No amount of advice will help somerset.

4. "Over Worked and Under Paid and Appreciated"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Somerset Academy (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the North Jacksonville location, from my experience this school has Hard Working Teachers and a dedicated principal.

Cons

However each year they change their system and strategy which does not allow for anything to take root and be given a REAL chance for success. Very demanding and stressful work environment especially in the middle/high school grades.

Advice to Management

Stick with one system (for a while) to allow it to work. The principal needs more qualified administrators to help him run the school SMOOTHLY not " inexperienced teachers, grounds keepers, or personnel from Human Resources with absolutely no educational leadership training."

5. "Appearances are not what they seem"

Former Employee - Teacher in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Miramar, FL

I worked at Somerset Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teachers genuinely care and work with the conditions they are given; Students are amazing and talented.

Cons

No conditions for proper well-rounded education in classrooms; Crammed like Sardines; Student Teacher Ratio not conducive to learning environment. Appearance of high quality education standards is inaccurate;Unorganized Admin; No-tact with employees; Resource Teachers teach on floors and hallways due to lack of rooms/space

6. "Coach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

Pros

The principal Mr Fernandez is awful! The schools pretty much make the kids pay for their education due to lack of funds. Some the teachers there don't care.

Cons

The lack experience in most areas (teachers, coaching bad, administration the title they like most) We used to lose a lot of students for those reason the rich and very smart kids. Even the below average students leave.

Advice to Management

New staff, more experience teachers and coaches and stop trying to be more then your title is. Everyone wants the pay but less work?

7. "After School Care Counselor"

Current Employee - After School Counselor in Homestead, FL
    Current Employee - After School Counselor in Homestead, FL

I have been working at Somerset Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The school is very flexible and ideal for college students. The hours are great for a part time job, and weekends are off. The school administrators are professional and fair when making decisions, and everyone works together as a team consistently. Rewards and perks are administered for working the school year and it has a fun vibe.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a lot of nepotism in this workplace, there is no room for progression or promotions unless you have close ties to a superior. I have been working there for two years and no pay raise has been given, nor opportunities for advancement. During the summer there is no work available since teachers with tenure are given that role and responsibility for work. Every other ASC counselor must find a summer job unless otherwise accepted to participate in the summer program. Furthermore, just because you've worked one school year doesn't guarantee your role in this job the following year. Payment is minimum wage and remains as such, it hasn't changed for those whom i've known have been there for 4 years or more.

Advice to Management

Working with children is not easy, as administrators and having been teachers before this is known. After school care is no different, i believe everyone should be provided the same opportunities and nepotism should be kept to a minimum.

8. "great first job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Somerset Academy (Less than a year)

Pros

i didnt have to leave off campus for lunch, i got to eat for free.

Cons

no cons, this was a great experience for me and it helped me to be a better sales person

9. "Don't w"

Pros

Good salary and lots of benefits

Cons

Don't subject yourself to this

10. "Don't work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I worked at Somerset Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great kids, for the most part.

Cons

Principal takes students words over teachers. Principal is only concerned with image and not education.

Advice to Management

Do some research and find the truth.