Sonatype Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 2, 2019

5.0
Wayne Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent, high growth software business"

Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Sonatype has a long history of rapid growth and is a recognized leader in its market. If fast-paced start-ups offering loads of responsibility are your thing, it is worth checking out.

- While still relatively small compared to many tech giants, the size of the firm allows employees to take on many new responsibilities and to easily work cross functionally to get work done. This is a place where you can bring your exceptional experience while continuing to learn new skills from opportunities and others around you.

- The culture of the business is one where everyone strives to improve upon their success and prior results. Not many folks are happy with the concept of "let's just keep doing it the same way, because we were successful the last time around". People truly strive to be best-in-class for both development of personal and corporate benefit.

- The vibe across the sales and marketing organization is positive and energetic. Our employees love working together, joking around, attending regular happy hours, and heading out to lunch at one of the local spots around Tysons.

- High growth provides many opportunities to build upon successes of previous years with more resources and team members to support efforts.

- The company is well-respected by its industry peers and has build a reputation of being a solid partner for many. Its community outreach efforts are second-to-none in the DevOps market.

- The company boast strong net promoter scores from its rapidly growing installed base. Customers are easy to find and talk to, helping employees capture customer requirements and feedback necessary for roadmaps and sustained growth.

- The company has delivered many industry first within its product roadmap which are often emulated years later by competitors. While some employees would love new products to come to market even faster -- the truth of the matter is that net new innovation is hard work.

Cons

- The office space in Tysons is awesome, open, and vibrant, yet cramped. That is pretty much the result of high growth and rapid hiring. The office space is continuously expanding to accommodate the fast pace of growth.

- Traffic around the DC office is similar to many metro areas...not good. Employees can take advantage of fairly liberal work from home policies, with some working from home one to two days a week.

Sonatype Response

Jan 8, 2019 – Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We are indeed rapidly expanding and our office is getting fairly tight, however, we have expansion plans underway for our Tyson's Office.
     This should be... More

"Be Challenged, Encouraged, Developed, and Impactful"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sonatype is the most challenging, fun, and impactful company I've worked for in my career.

You will work on solutions that solve interesting problems in a growing market, with leadership that truly understands (and perhaps pioneers) that market. The customers you'll be benefiting with those solutions are all around you and you probably won't realize it. You'll be working around individuals that know their stuff and are passionate about their contributions. Your input will matter.

- Relatively flat organization focusing on peer relationships rather than managerial hierarchy.

- The shallow leadership org chart focuses on mentorship and development, empowering you to do what's best.

- Company commitment to improvement with 10% time to work on something you think is important (a new idea, learn a new skill, etc)

- 100% Remote as a company value. Leadership has a published philosophy on working remote works instead of just throwing it out as an attractive benefit.

- Empowered teams. Teams choose how they work best in their own domain within a small set of company standards and minimal processes.

- Grow into

Cons

- Recent rapid growth has revealed some scaling issues that are still being adjusted
    - 100% remote isn't for everyone.
    - I have to provide my own coffee.
    - Interview process can be intimidating to some

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on mentorship, development, and communication

Sonatype Response

Jan 8, 2019 – Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing this feedback, we're always seeking to get better. We have recently brought on board a new VP of HR to support us as we continue to scale the business. Additionally, we hired... More

"Modern. By far the best. If you're in tech, you NEED to be here!"

Current Employee - Security Researcher in Fulton, MD
    Current Employee - Security Researcher in Fulton, MD

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm amazed how well they are able to scape up the Remote Work model and maintain the consistency in maintaining the 'open' culture vibe across the company.
    The type of work is indeed very interesting too, no matter what team you're on! Very innovative. I specially recommend the place for tech folks - whether in software development, data, security research or product planning, since the company is a product-oriented with big emphasis on keeping code open source. Hence the focus is on the product and using agile methodology throughout the teams as much as one can.

On another hand, fantastic and smartest people to work with on uniquely innovative products and processes. And, the choice of tech stack is top notch: MacBooks, Apple peripherals, Atlassian, Google Apps/Gmail, GitHub, etc. No Microsoft Outlook or corporate products (though you may elect to receive Windows in lieu of a Mac if you'd like).

Video calls are encouraged over audio whenever possible to maintain the "human" contact aspect even for remote workers! (At first this can be hard to get used to if you're camera shy, but in the long run it's definitely a better feeling).

Cons

Sometimes there can be too much focus on the meetings and it's something that can be improved - at times productivity can be saved by skipping a few 'extra' meetings and managing time well.
    The benefits can certainly be improved too: especially no 401k matching / employer contribution available - which is pretty standard across companies these days. Some employers would contribute 3% anyway to your plan regardless of your election while others would 'match' up to a certain percentage if you choose to vest.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work! Maintain this open, friendly, technologically advanced culture we have.
    Refrain from making the culture more old-corporate style which is a no-no for tech.

"Customer Success"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming to Sonatype from Corporate IT was a nerve-racking but ultimately very rewarding career decision. I was welcomed to the company and felt like I was joining a very tight night community.
    The company is a diverse company that supports their employees at work and at home. The companies flexible schedule and work ethic are a welcome relief from the grinder wheel of corporate America or other startups.

As a Veteran, they have continued to support my extracurricular activities and passions.

Cons

With being an extrovert I do miss some of the interactions that came with going to an office.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the good momentum and listening to employees and customers.
    Work to keep the small company feel as we grow.

"Great Products, Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sonatype is a place where you can have a big impact in the success of the company. It is a place where your voice is heard and you receive great coaching from management. The work is challenging and I find the team rallies and supports each other towards a common goal.

Cons

A lot of the work force is remote and it can be challenging if you haven't worked in that environment. The leadership team is working to communicate more frequently and the collaboration opportunities continue to increase.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open and listening to ideas to continue to drive growth.

"Why aren't you working here?"

Current Employee - Vice President in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Tysons, VA

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people, great business, high growth, rapid pace, freedom to do what you know is best. Free coffee, soda, and snacks. Cool office in the Tysons area with lots of hip folks.

Cons

You don't work here (yet).

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people. Upper management puts effort in communicating and being transparent with everybody. Not a lot of hierarchy. Team members willing to help you learn and grow. Healthy environment overall. Working from home is a plus.

Cons

Because of the nature of working remotely, more effort is sometimes needed to initiate conversations and get the information needed to do your job but this is balanced with team members who are helpful, willing to be available & tools that allow quality conversations/meetings.
    Number of PTO days is a bit less than what I've seen in other places. Sick days are counted from the PTO.

Advice to Management

Maintain the autonomy that team's have. As the company grows, resist the temptation to add too much hierarchy in the organizational structure. That can lead to people feeling disconnected from the direction of the company.

Keep having very high standards for hiring (skills & culture). A smaller team of "good fit" team members will build a much better company than a a larger team of mediocre team members.

"Incredibly Smart People. Commitment to Servant Leadership"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quite simply the best company I've ever worked for. Despite being entirely (or nearly so) remote, I've made close friends that will last a lifetime. Moving on will never be an easy thing to do, and all future jobs will be measure against my experience here, which includes...

- The smartest people you will every work with.
    - Leaders that aim to support and a serve their teams.
    - A true open-door, completely accessible approach to management.
    - An intelligent (though highly selective) hiring process.
    - A culture where an individual's input really matters.
    - Exciting work that has the ability to truly impact the world of software development.
    - Open source product paired with enterprise product to create a healthy balance of business and community.
    - Flexibility (at least 10% of your time) to work on projects you think are important.
    - Un-relenting commitment to customers and their success.
    - Worklife balance is encouraged and isn't lip service.

Cons

- Hiring process can be as tough as other, more well-known startups.
    - Entirely (or nearly entirely) remote workforce can take some getting used to.
    - Benefits and time off could be better, though they are on par with most comparable companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing: Listen. Adjust. Repeat.

"Toughest job you ever love"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We get to work on products that are blazing a trail to address big challenges and that are used by millions of people across the world. We get to do what we do best every day and it really feels like it makes a difference. The people are really smart, make things happen and care deeply about the quality of the work that is done. The level of experience and expertise that Sonatype has amassed is pretty incredible.

Cons

Things are moving fast and the organization is growing fast, leading to the kinds of scale challenges you would expect at this stage. Despite this, the thoughtfulness in the actions of the leadership team consistently shows that they understand it is the people that really matter and that are the path to long term success.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that we are primarily a remote company. Keep up the good work in leveling the playing field in communicating and collaborating. That's key to success.

"Sonatype Continues to Deliver at Every Level"

I have been working at Sonatype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart teams, thoughtful and efficient hiring and onboarding process, an environment where opinions matter. Fully distributed company with people who respect the remote, a sync nature of communication and working together and embrace it.

Cons

When I started here over two years ago, we'd occasionally get out over our skis on features. We seem to have turned the corner on that recently.