Sonic Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Pros
Cons
  • Minimum wage when others places pay more (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours, Somewhat of service management (in 54 reviews)

1. "Carhop"

Former Employee - CarHop in Austin, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Time goes by really fast while working
    Free drinks

Cons

Insanely fast-paced environment
    Rude customers
    untrained management
    Different schedule every week
    Always rushed

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well. Be patient with them, don't yell and blame things on them. Just because it's busy doesn't mean you have to scream at your employees to hurry up, they know to work fast and are usually going as quickly as they can without sacrificing quality.

2. "Former Car hop"

Former Employee - Former Carhop in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Former Carhop in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The tips were good but didnt enjoy the environment and the workers.

Cons

Happy hour and not scheduling enough car hops, too many or have them coming in at such an off time.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your workers more and make sure all orders are completely done before sending it out! And be more friendly make new employees feel welcomed

3. "Carhop"

Former Employee - CarHop in Taylor, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Taylor, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made good tips (every now and then) and it was way more laid back than most places. I met a lot of good people there.

Cons

Management is disappointing. Pay is terrible. They expect that people will get tips just for taking people's food to them. Also there is no room for advancement. Most people do not know that these kids aren't working on a living wage so most people would not tip.

5. "car hop"

Former Employee - Car Hop in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Car Hop in Austin, TX

Pros

great job for high school or college kids

Cons

lazy con workers that don't care about their job.

6. "Due to the management at that moment my experience was not the best."

Former Employee - CarHop in Hutto, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Hutto, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn how to deal with customers, and how to give fast and friendly customer service. It's a good place for people looking for a first job.

Cons

People that go through there are sometimes very, very impatient and get very aggressive quickly. And sometimes the boards outside are broken making hard to understand orders.

Advice to Management

Have better background checks for GMs..

7. "Beast"

Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Hutto, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Hutto, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sonic is a fair paying job and works around my schedule since i am currently still in school. Its a nice enviroment with chill people who make the job chill af but they make sure you get your job done and we overall enjoy it here

Cons

The only thing i have to complain about is the event days keep us up on our feet non stop and we sometimes have a little trouble with being understaffed.

Advice to Management

It be nice to have some more members in the kitchen and not having to train so often.

8. "Hard Work Allowed"

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Austin, TX

Pros

Good people who share in the work.

Cons

Often short handed at intense work times (when a truck is unloading or a special is in process).

Advice to Management

Try to get accurate in number of employees needed by location, then fill the jobs with people who don't mind hard work and will listen to manager.

9. "Lacking."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Buda, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Buda, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half priced food, only long shifts if you want it. Some customers are really nice. Lots of regulars.

Cons

At the first sonic I worked at, I left because I was only working Sundays despite asking multiple times, for months, to work more because one day a week does not pay the bills. In addition, the managers and my coworkers would all go to the back and smoke weed and leave me up there completely by myself. The second sonic I went to, I transfered, and the people there are horrible. Managers are incredibly rude and act like they are better than everyone else. Everyone is so sassy, it's ridiculous. I am a high school student and even I can say that I don't want to work with high school students, the drama is so unnecessary. I quit the first sonic after 1 year, quit the 2nd one after 3 weeks, because it was that miserable. No freedom. I couldn't even speak without a manager yelling at me to shut up. Also, they are hypocrites. The managers can be on their phones but if you just look at the time on yours, they, LITERALLY, come up to you, and scream in your face "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU". And then they go and say "we're trying to lead by example," when talking about the phones. As if they think that being on their phones and expecting other people to not be is "leading by example" it's actually pretty ironic. Nobody should ever work here. It's not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is a stricter process for new hires. General Managers will hire anyone off the street, they could be wearing pajamas. At least hire reasonably nice and responsible people.

10. "TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - CarHop in Austin, TX

I worked at Sonic (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of moving around and you never do not have nothing to do

Cons

Pay is horrible, barely any tips depending on the time of day (usually it's the old people who always tip), management is horrible with scheduling, constant drama between coworkers, bathroom breaks are rare, would heat up food that was sitting for a long time and serve it

Advice to Management

Stop expecting so much out of so little.

11. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - CarHop in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was nothing good to say about this place.

Cons

I came on thinking thai would be a great place to work but i was so wrong. my first week there i never got a minute of training they threw me in and i didnt know what i was doing, i had to work 74 hours my first week cause jo one else was available for the morning yet i never got any training. GM had said "i dont care if you sick or having to go to the hospital you show up when youre on the schedule." And even with a very open and understaffed employees found a way not to show up and/or stay in the back and leave as soon as possible. Very very poor management, made me give money out of my pocket to a customer who i did not serve as a "refund" as the GM the next day said he did not tell him thats what he should do. Understaffed couldn't describe this place enough, everyday there would be people from other stores having to help us. GM did not care about us "as long as we got the job done" yelling at his employees cause we are working as hard as we can yet being so understaffed makes us look bad and he would tell us we are the reason why everything was goig bad. He would not take the blame for himself and stay away from problems that could get him in trouble like angry customers. He only hired one person within a month and said we'll be fine with only 2 carhops from 2-4 and 1 from 4-5 those being the stores busiest time. and lastly something gad went wrong with the pay roll and no one has been paid for 3 weeks instead of bi monthly checks.

Advice to Management

Step up

Showing 33 of 1,361 reviews