Sonic Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

3.1
Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Interacting with customers, & it is fast paced (in 138 reviews)

• You get to meet new people and its a good way to gain experience in the workforce for first-time employees (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • busy not enough staffs long hours (in 71 reviews)

• you make a waitressing wage so if people don't tip you don't make minimum wage (in 71 reviews)

1. "Sonic review"

Former Employee - CarHop in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast service , quality food , good prices , friendly car hops

Cons

There are No cons for this

Advice to Management

None is perfect

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Prosper, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Prosper, TX

I have been working at Sonic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere if you have the right GM. It pays decently compared to other fast food restaurants.

Cons

Bad GM's can break this for you, and make you not wanna work here.

3. "IT was alright i guess"

Former Employee - Cook in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in McKinney, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food
    easyy work mostly

Cons

long hours low pay understaffed

4. "Probably The Worst Job I Will Ever Have. (CarHop)"

Former Employee - CarHop in Forney, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Forney, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time

Pros

Tips
    Half price on food (only during shift hours)
    Partially good management (depends who it is)

Cons

One manager ruined my whole experience. (Profanity use, cracked under pressure, made me swipe non-credit card orders)
    Have to pay back your till.
    Was given no proper training, self-taught myself most of the Sonic guidelines.
    Some employees refused to help me. Some did, some didn't.
    Waited a week to get my uniform.
    Waited a week to get an interview due to hiring manager not scheduling correctly.
    4 hours worth of paperwork (not payed)
    Manager who ruined the experience turned off the lights even though people were waiting outside for their food. This same night, they did not give a customer free-food coupons for a messed up order, even though this customer was promised it.
    Mismanagement of money with mobile cash registers.
    Favorable pay raises?

Advice to Management

I quit 5 days into my job. I realized during those 5 days that this was going to be a pattern that I did not want to have myself involved in. This was truly a horrific experience and I advice anyone reading this to NOT WORK HERE.

My first bad experience wasn't even when I had the job, it was when I was trying to get it. I come in on a Saturday afternoon for an interview, get turned away for a few days to get another one set up. I get the job eventually, and am scheduled for a week later to fill out paperwork. The day comes, and I fill out 4 hours worth of paperwork, which is absolutely absurd. I then find out I have to wait ANOTHER WEEK to get my uniform, which was also going to be incomplete (missing apron). Took a week just to get a shirt, good job!

That was 2 weeks wasted of my life, now let's finally work! My first day begins, and I start on the board taking orders. I sort of got the hang of it after this day, but my second day is when I began to shine. I was learning fast, I figured out all the tricks to the board and I started learning how to make drinks. The managers were complimenting me along the way, saying I have been working and learning faster than people that have been working for at least a year. Seems like a good sign so far.

Third day I was put on drive-thru. I was given the basics on how it works and was sent off. I did NOT have anyone near me most of my time. As a person having 3 months working on cash register before this job, I was only $0.10 over or under my till. That night, I had about $15 I had to owe the store. I was shocked, and blamed myself. I later then realized that night that people were taking orders out for me, and MOST LIKELY DID NOT give me the change for that order, and I swiped for all of them. I only messed up one credit card order, and the assistant manager knew about it. I had to wait half an hour to get money cash from the bank to pay off the till, which the managers should take care of themselves.

Day four started off fine. It was the first night I would be closing. It was also a Friday night. This night completely changed the meaning of Sonic in my eyes. At around 10:30, it started getting busy, and the only manager there that night was cracking. There were only two carhops, a nice young man and myself. Half of the cooking staff did not want to work, for one was going outside talking to people and the others were just working exponentially slower by the minute. It ended up being 10 minute orders EACH. The manager eventually cracked, yelling, "That's it! I can't deal with this anymore! I'm going to go smoke!" This manager pulled a cigarette and walked to the back, I stood dumbfounded. This same time, a customer called in telling me her whole order was messed up. I got a very nice lady to help me by telling her she would get her order plus free-food coupons as compensation. This lady waited TWO HOURS and got nothing, eventually having the lights turned off on her in the patio section.

12:00 came that Friday night, the manager turned off the lights on customers waiting patiently for their food. People in the patio (the lady who never got her compensation) came up to the front. I told her I would get a manager, but my manager would not come out. The lady left, with nothing in hand. People were still waiting for their food, I had to swipe non-credit card orders. I was not trained to do this nor did I have a personal wallet that I would carry around for change. I had the other CarHop help me out with this problem. I apologized to every customer I came in contact with.

It was finally closing time. I was helping the other CarHop and we were talking for quite a bit. He told me quite a few things. He told me that this has never happened before in his year and a half of working at this place. He also told me something that truly made me feel awful for him, for he is a hard-working person. He never got a pay raise for that year and a half he has worked there. The sad part about this is I know someone that works at this store who got a raise withing half a month, so why shouldn't this man get a raise for his dedication to the franchise?

On Saturday, I texted the manager that hired me and told them that Sunday would be my last day working there. I did not give two weeks.

Sunday came, the manager that hired me wanted to set up a meeting with the general manager for me to tell my experience at the store, for he needs to know. The manager never texted me any details weeks after, so I, being fed up, told this manager to just give me the general manager's phone number. This, the manager did.

**MY ADVICE TO MANAGEMENT**
    1. Assign someone to help train a person.
    2. Crack down on management staff. Some seem very, very unqualified to be managing there. Managers should not crack under pressure, they are there to lead a team. If a manager can't handle a couple of teenagers, then I truly don't know what to say.
    3. Have uniforms, aprons and wallets prepared. I personally didn't give back my uniform. Why you may ask? I'm not giving back a uniform I waited a WHOLE WEEK for. I deserve it.
    4. Give raises to people that deserve it. I truly feel awful for that young man.

Overall, I'm most likely never going back to this company anytime soon. I've seen and experience too much to go back.

5. "Nope nah"

Former Employee - CarHop in Keller, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Keller, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get tips and half off discount

Cons

Manager was a racist pig and acts like donald trump; not goos pay, hard work

Advice to Management

Change youranagement pls

"Good First Job"

Former Employee - CarHop in Midlothian, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Midlothian, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, great tips, good location

Cons

bad general manager who doesn't care

7. "Hectic Job"

Former Employee - Carhop/Foundation/Drive Thru in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Carhop/Foundation/Drive Thru in Rockwall, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

get experience
    customer service
    fast pace enviroment

Cons

understaffed
    managers forget breaks
    gets hectic

Advice to Management

needs more organizational skills

"Fountain/Carhop"

Former Employee - Fountain/Carhop in Keller, TX
    Former Employee - Fountain/Carhop in Keller, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free drinks while you work as long as you have a cup. You also get a percentage off of any food you order.

Cons

The owner was terrible. She only cared about her family and close friends. Everyone else got yelled at and punished. The asked you to lie about how many tips you received at the end of the day. It was disgusting in there as well. They made you wear skates even when you were doing closing duties such as mopping the bathroom or restocking things out of the freezer.

Advice to Management

There should be equal opportunity to move up not just your family and friends. Make more incentives for those who go above and beyond. Clean the facility better

"Pretty easy going job"

Former Employee - CarHop in Willow Park, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Willow Park, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back and pretty easy to learn, customers are usually friendly and leave a nice tip. If you work hard you can get raises.

Cons

Some of the customers can be rude and or annoying and also not tip. Can also get busy when the shakes go on sale and what not.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Shift Lead/Crew Trainer in Seven Points, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Lead/Crew Trainer in Seven Points, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Decent pay for high school student
    - Great atmosphere
    - Free Drinks
    - Fun to cook
    - Can work with friends and management listens to problems
    - Sometimes free food

Cons

- Cleaning
    - Towards the end, a great deal of time went into food disposal

Advice to Management

Cameras are unnecessary

Showing 83 of 1,724 reviews