Sonic (Internet and Phone) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dane Jasper

1. "I LOVE my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sonic is an amazing company to work for. CEO/Founder Dane Jasper and upper management exemplify Sonic's mission and values. Everyone who works here is extremely friendly and supportive. I can easily see myself growing and working here for a long time. It doesn't hurt that the company is dog friendly, which is a huge perk because Sonoma County is a dog centric area. I love getting up in the morning and going to work for a company that cares so much about its employees and the community. I am very happy to be part of team Sonic!!

Cons

I don't have any cons to share. However, a common thread is "low pay." Yes, Sonic can't offer what the big companies can. Yes, living costs are on the rise (this is a statewide issue). But, you have to remember that Sonic isn't one of the "big" guys, if the company could pay more they would! If we continue providing excellent customer service and high-speed internet the internet revolution will take place, the company will grow, and salaries will also grow. They can't pay Silicon Valley wages in Sonoma County, and they shouldn't be expected to.

2. "Good work environment"

Current Employee - Installer in Oakley, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in Oakley, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is helpful and more likely to help you grow than punish you.
    Service provided is good and easy to talk up to consumers.
    Good benefits.

Cons

The pay is certainly below industry norms but pay has been on the rise.
    A lot of driving is necessary.

Advice to Management

Need better pay to retain experienced techs.

Feb 16, 2017 – Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It is engaged team members such as yourself that make Sonic an awesome place to work. We appreciate your feedback and take it to heart. It ... More

3. "It's a great time to get your foot in the door with a good organization"

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* VERY Flexible schedule (this really only applies for part-time folks in tech support, but it makes it easy to coordinate work and school schedules)

* Extensive training (you don't need to be an expert in the field to learn everything you need to know)

* Good benefits

* Super fun work environment and dog friendly!

* Quarterly company-wide meetings provide free food, usually from food trucks

* Small bonuses to compensate those who stand out in management's and customers' eyes

* A good support network

Cons

* The pay is admittedly a bit below other tech support positions, but the intangibles (free food, great people, upbeat work environment) more than make up

* The company is growing very quickly, so we can get a little backed up sometimes. This is a good problem to have, though!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I'm thoroughly enjoying my position at Sonic.

Jan 31, 2017 – Community and Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your review and for all of your hard work. Your good vibes and great attitude motivate us even more to keep growing, keep improving, and keep providing an awesome career path for you ... More

"Customer Service Rep-tech support"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment!
    Friendly people!
    Plenty of fringe benefits such as pizza Fridays, arcade games,pinball and the company parties.

Cons

The biggest is the pay compared to the work. The national avg pay for tech support is just over 17/hr. The avg in the bay area is around 19. Sonic pays 14 hr which is below the national avg. Considering we are located in an area that has the highest cost of living it is hard to believe the pay is below the national average for tech support. It's sad when after 60 days employees flipping burgers at in n out will be making more than a sonic tech support agent.

•Also there are simply not enough workers on most days. This may have to do with the pay but it makes the job even more stressful when you to calm down frustrated customers because of long hold time due to being understaffed.
    •Although we do not get paid as well as tech support agents nationally we are expected to not only do our job, but also fill in for bIlling and sales bother during the day and after those departments are off.
    •Lack of feedback from immediate supervisors. I have had trainers check in and ask how things are going but have yet to hear anything from immediate supervisor.

Advice to Management

•Need to evaluate payscale to reflect the level of work that is being asked.
    •While the perks such as arcade games are great when you are so understaffed I barely feel I have time to use the bathroom on my 10 min break much less play games.
    •If tech support is going to be held to a higher standard and be asked to pick up slack for other departments then again tech support agents should be paid more due to the myriad of duties.
    •Supervisors need to be more involved I don't know how many times we have been swamped and look over and supervisors are playing games in their cubicles or watching YouTube videos while waiting for abother tech to call.

Oct 3, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. It’s crucial that we hear from you - it's how improve. Please come and talk to us at SonicHR@Sonic.com. We are in this together and hope you’ll reach ... More

"It's a good stepping stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*If you're committed to working, they'll get you in a spot
    *Had a person here who has been in about 5 departments because they couldn't decide what they wanted to do, upper management placed them anywhere they felt they belong
    *alright pizza on Fridays
    *Management is usually lax/chill with you

Cons

*pay SUCKS. For a tech company they pay garbage
    *You have annual reviews; they'll tell you it'll be in March, you won't get them until October
    *if you're not liked, you're dumped SUPER quick

Advice to Management

Work on actually giving a BLEEP about your employees.

Sep 12, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. It’s how we get better. Sonic feels strongly that its people ARE the company, so we want you and everyone out there to know that we definitely do ... More

"Great Company Great People, Below Average Wage"

Current Employee - Network Technician in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Network Technician in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    Great Management
    Flexible Schedules
    Great people to work with
    A vision that you can support and be a part of one of the first companies rolling out Fiber

Cons

Sonic tends to pay under the national average for most positions that I'm aware of

Aug 15, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

Thank you for supporting the vision - and for being part of it! We promise, we'll only get better together.

"low pay, confusing motivations"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pretty open scheduling. good managers. good benefits.

Cons

low pay for expected work. company ideals strive towards transparency but decisions do not reflect that ideal

Advice to Management

If you want to eb transparent then do it. dont try and say you are something you are not. pay what the industry actually pays people for the same job position and stop cheating employees

Aug 22, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

We are really sorry to hear that you feel this way, but we appreciate the feedback. Our values and actions are aligned, and definitely stand out as a model in the industry. We do our best to research ... More

8. "Professional Sales"

Former Employee - CLEC/ISP Provider Sales Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - CLEC/ISP Provider Sales Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sonic (Internet and Phone) (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

I have nothing to say

Advice to Management

NA

Jul 18, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

Thank you for the review!

9. "Proud Sonic employee!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers! Sonic hires some seriously awesome employees. The office is dog-friendly, so there are pups hanging out in the cubicles. The CEO, Dane, is a great leader/ motivator-- he jokes around with you if you pass him in the office! There's Ping-Pong, pinball, darts, shuffleboard, a kitchen, and a little convenience store in the office. The surrounding community recognizes Sonic as a great company and employer, which feels great! I've recommended Sonic careers to friends based on my experience as a happy employee. A few years down the line, I feel I will still be happily working for Sonic.

Cons

Cubicles (wa wa waahh). There also seems to be a bit of a divide between departments...unrelated to the cubicles.

Advice to Management

I'm a little confused by the negative comments on GlassDoor about poor training. There must have been new implementations since I've been hired because I received great training! I am still learning new facets of my position.

Aug 8, 2016 – Community and Social Media Specialist

We hope you'll continue to be a proud Sonic employee for years to come! Thank you!

10. "Billing"

Former Employee - Billing in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Billing in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sonic (Internet and Phone) (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love helping people in I am very good at what I do

Cons

There are any thing bad to say but I love what I do

Advice to Management

Love