Sonim Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work Hard/Play Hard"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sonim Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee culture is great, truly everything you envision when you picture a typical tech startup: ping pong table, open floor plan, young staff, etc.
    Sonim show that they care for their employees, not only with their generous benefits, but also by fostering a sense of family within the office.
    The company is a great place to start, if you don't mind a fast paced dynamic environment!

Cons

Lack of planning ahead, a lot of projects are done on the fly. There's a culture of "fire-fighting" where issues aren't dealt with until they become an immediate problem.
    Long hours.
    Difficult to balance work/social life if you don't make your colleagues your main social circle.

Advice to Management

More planning ahead, the employees would benefit from a certain level of additional predictability. Other than that the company seems to be going in the right direction!

2. "Ruggadized Handsets for Industrial Applications"

I have been working at Sonim Technologies full-time

Pros

small, fast moving, flat organization, forward looking, risk taker

Cons

risk taker, processes are new,

3. "Good company with excellent people!"

Current Employee - Corporate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sonim Technologies full-time

Pros

It's a team sport, everyone needs to play to win. And those that can't, write bad reviews.

Management advocates egalitarian principles, transparency, and offers the opportunity for both in skill and professional growth. Fun and family type of environment. Great work/life balance. Fantastic people.

Cons

Experiencing some growing pains but otherwise a great company. Hard to find some cons when challenges are all part of running a business.
    Management sometimes tend to be too busy to stop and smell the roses and reconnect.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the relaxed, family setting. Improve on internal communication.

4. "Great place to work, awesome culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sonim Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sonim was an awesome place to work and nothing short of a great experience. They care about their employees, work hard, but are also able to balance working with a good time. They have worked extremely hard on building a fun and modern culture which helped contribute to my time there being so enjoyable. They do family lunch every Friday that helps build rapport within the office. Overall the people who work here are very smart and the leaders have a great vision for the company.

Cons

It's hard to find any if you're a good culture fit. You must be able to balance work with play.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees freedom, and keep the unique culture.

"Fun atmosphere, Lacking Systems"

I have been working at Sonim Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard play hard office. Lots of time and passion put into the company with a high degree of accuracy expected. Diverse workforce with many cultures working together in the three offices (US, China, and India). Small company with a lot of room to move up if the effort is put in.

Cons

Lacking systems and too different programs are used. The company uses salesforce, netsuite, and SAP making it difficult to find the "single source of true" ie. not all info can be found in the same place. Almost growing too fast for the company keep up.

Advice to Management

The CEO has a great vision, but needs to get out of the day to day and reduce the number of people reporting to him.

6. "Engineer"

Pros

Benefit is fine, you can balance your life there if you like here.

Cons

Very weird management style, just ppl manage ppl, there's no rules to follow.

Advice to Management

Give employee more independent space, don't say too much NO.

7. "Growing phase"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sonim Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Spirit, team work, perseverance. A small company that has huge ambitions and accomplishments.

Cons

Soul searching and tactical maneuver necessities in a cutting edge competition environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategy.

"Uhh are they faking reviews??"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sonim Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

The non-upper management employees are great people. I'm talking about your run of the mill employee, not C- or VP- level.

- free lunch Fridays (when they can afford it)
    - chill vibe (very relaxed)

Cons

That's it for pros.... Cons:
    - they don't have money. They defer salaries all the time. It was there when I was there and I've heard very recently this is still the case.
    - CEO needs someone to reign him in. He wants to invest money they don't have in projects that don't result in sales. Essentially throwing money out the window.
    - there's suspicion that there's something shady going on behind the scenes... I can't imagine how these folks are able to continue getting more and more funding from investors for a dying company with an unmarketable product.

Do not come here. This is a fair warning. Every person who works here knows it's a joke and wants to leave. DO NOT COME HERE.

Advice to Management

Scrap the CEO. Why hasn't the board done this already?!

9. "Great product, great team, bright future"

Current Employee - Middle Management in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sonim Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An open work environment and team-spirit permeate the day-to-day work experience. From the CEO on down there is a "family" feeling and a sense of inclusion. Every work function has a clear understanding of who our customers are and that we're all in it together to make great products for these very special people. It is easy to be proud of what we do.

We're growing and releasing exciting new products in markets around the world. Its an exciting time.

Cons

We're a smaller company competing with giants in the cellphone and mobile radio marketplace. Our competitors have more resources and we have to do more with less. We can't always do the things that we want to do to grow the company. Prioritization and compromise are often necessary.

As a start-up, we work hard. Work / life balance will suffer from time to time, its the cost of being in a high-growth company

Advice to Management

Keep focus on preserving the unique culture as we grow. It would be a pity to lose what makes us special.

10. "Committed to building unique products for everyday workers"

Pros

The employees care a lot about office culture and feel like a family. Scrappy atmosphere, everyone works hard and is committed to the work they do. Friday lunches are great.

Cons

Since everyone in the office is so close, there could be potential for some people to be a poor culture fit with the company. Important to get an understanding of the culture before committing.