Sonoco Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 12, 2019

4.0
Robert C. Tiede

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have Competitive pay and benefits" (in 17 reviews)

• "Good pay while working 12 hour shifts, but on 8s you work your butt off and barely scrape by" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Manufacturing so long hours sometimes" (in 10 reviews)

• "Work / life balance can be a bit of a challenge" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Impressed how I was allowed a tremendous amount of freedom when choosing projects to work on. You decide how you add value to the company within your role, which is really cool! Sonoco allows you to grow within your role and offers great exposure and allows you to have lots of responsibilities right away. Very conscious of an employee's career objectives. Great family environment.

Cons

The only con I would have experienced is that in certain very specific aspects, the company is still a bit conservative from a risk-taking perspective. Nothing overarching for the whole companies, more in some very specific areas.

Feb 4, 2019

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback! We truly believe that People Build Businesses and allowing our employees direct input on their own development areas is a key component to our success... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training available, great work-life balance

Cons

if you are a junior designer, the design team may give you busy work that the other members do not wish to work on...

3. "Best Company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management of this company actually cares for it's people. I have been here 15 years. I have worked in many places all over the country, and this company actually has a commitment to it's employees as opposed to just talking about it.

Cons

Sonoco is a very conservative company (financially). I would love to see a bigger commitment to technology and training.

Advice to Management

Communication is key, keep up the good work!

If everyone is supposed to upgrade computer systems, then everyone should be upgraded. Please don't leave out the areas that really need to be up to date (finance and accounting).

Thank you for your commitment to people. We really are a SONOCO STRONG family.

If we are going to use Lean (SPS) manufacturing methods, we should really use LEAN accounting practices. We have many redundant financial processes because we don't integrate software systems well and systems are changed without communication with the users.

4. "Very Satisified"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The safety culture at Sonoco is excellent. Company does well on communicating, promoting, and enforcing safety practices are being followed on a daily basis. Great teamwork environment. Opportunity to learn and grow within the company and the company encourages employee to continue to build their skills by leading pillar teams and complete projects that are cost savings to the company.

Cons

Communication can be better but it's not bad overall.

Advice to Management

Have no comment at this time.

Mar 12, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! Safety is, and always will be, our #1 priority. We are thrilled to hear that your plant takes the necessary steps to honor our safety practices... More

5. "The Corporation is very stable. Local plant's long term future in Question"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Stable company long term

Cons

Current facility business is getting slower every year

Mar 12, 2019

Thank you for leaving a review! We genuinely value our teammates time, and are glad to hear you have a great work/life balance. We encourage any more feedback to be sent to us at connect@sonoco.com... More

6. "Culture"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Norwalk, CA

I worked at Sonoco Products part-time

Pros

Great safety culture, very stable business

Cons

Union environment, limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Be energetic and practical

7. "Thumbs up"

Current Employee - Global Safety Improvement Manager in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Global Safety Improvement Manager in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The website is easy to use.

Cons

No information about the Sonoco Safety Systems or the culture of safety.

8. "Great Company, Better People"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, superiors push individual growth, several opportunities for advancement and movement within the company

Cons

High-paced work environment, lean work environment so seems like each person is relatively isolated.

Mar 12, 2019

Thank you for leaving your feedback! We appreciate any and all insights into the day to day operations at Sonoco! Our employees development is a key piece of our organizational culture, and we are... More

9. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very safety conscious, regardless of your position. A family-oriented organization that values inclusion and fosters an environment of innovation - again, regardless of your position with the company. I've worked with this company for many years and have watched the culture evolve and change. I feel this company has made many great changes to align itself with other great companies in manufacturing and I value my employment.

Cons

I cannot think of any, I am very satisfied.

Feb 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. Safety is the core of our culture, and we're proud to be world-class. Additionally, the core values you mention of family, inclusion and... More

10. "Wonderful culture, lacking innovation and cross-functional expertise between divisions"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredible culture
    - In Tubes and Cores, we dominate the market globally
    - Competitive pay
    - Opportunities to be hired into different divisions when positions are available

Cons

- Located in Hartsville, SC so to move 'up' or go into corporate management, you most likely need to relocate to a VERY rural area
    - Slow moving
    - Though it is a global company with lots of locations, most of the divisions are very regional. Just because we show having locations all across the globe, most are dedicated sites to certain product lines, manufacturing capabilities, or satellite offices, so depending on which division you are employed by this can be a downfall
    - Some divisions are very small compared to your competitors so this makes it hard to win in the marketplace
    - Not the company, but lack of innovation in older markets which creates competition on commodity type items, thus forcing customers to make decisions based on price and that is not Sonoco's strong suite.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive innovation through investments even when we have business. Don't become lackadaisical and wait until we have lost business to competitors before you try to drive change. Be ok with taking on more calculated risk, at times, rather than becoming complacent and being ok with remaining stagnant as a company.
    Continue to hire the right people and develop the culture around your core values, as the incredible people at this company are what keep us motivated every day. You have done an incredible job with being open and available as upper management and are always willing to help.