Sonoco Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 27, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Great people to work with, good hours, good pay, low cost of living (in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with and good managers; excellent pay and benefits; very respectable company to work for if you're single (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • What once was a company that had a small town feel is evolving to uncaring ruthless (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't show enough appreciation (in 8 reviews)

1. "Worst place"

Former Employee - Spiral Winder Operator in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - Spiral Winder Operator in Norwalk, CA

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely NONE, Worst place EVER!

Cons

Horrible management,Imbecile coworkers, crappy union, broken equipment

Advice to Management

Close it down, even a 3rd world country with mental retards would run better

"Going down hill FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rural Hall, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rural Hall, NC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can only speak for this plant, but there really arent any good reasons to work here anymore.

Cons

All of upper management has changed in the past year and for the most part they are all inexperienced "Yes men". They have no common sense, zero experience in dealing with personal and production issues. They seem to encourage the poor performers instead of dealing with them. Then they walk over and demean the good performers. Also, certain people in the QA department get to walk around and do whatever they want, when they want to do it and their supervisor defends them if something is ever said.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR PEOPLE!!! Also, hold everyone accountable and to the same standards.

"Tiede and Sanders - Self absorbed with no value for Sonoco nor its people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've enjoyed my time at Sonoco especially when Harris Deloach and Charles Sullivan where at the helm. They understood the business, they truly cared about the people, and they had the vision, and long term focus that cascaded down through the organization.

Cons

The last 4-5 yrs at Sonoco has been a never ending circle of lies, deceit, and very poor practices. It certainly is not the same company I joined, it's culture has been decimated, and the leadership have become so far removed from the people and the core of its business and values that it has created a very un-trusting and disruptive work place where people feel constantly anxious that their employment at the company will be terminated at any time. The latest divestiture of Sonoco's blow molding business is yet another example of the very poor practices and the lack of value they put on their people. Communication to its employees was non-existent and the real kicker for the dedicated employees is Sonoco RENEGED on paying out the companies incentive bonus to all eligible employees even though it is only 7 weeks from year end for eligibility. A proverbial shot in the back on your way out of the door....and an utter disgrace.
    Shame on you Sonoco, and shame on you TIEDE, and yet another example of your self absorbed and disgraceful behavior in treating Sonoco co-workers.
    As a firm believer in Karma what goes around comes around and treating your people in this manner will come back to haunt you in some shape or form.

Advice to Management

Stop treading water, grow a set, and create a strategy and vision....you owe it to the people and the shareholders. People make a business, "Treat them well and everything else falls into place"
    Advice to Board of Directors, break up the good old Southern boys club and get some new blood and talent in to take the business to the next level, and a leadership team that values its people.

"Beauty Park Needs Help"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, OH

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We all have hope that new ownership will provide new production management

Cons

Lying, bullying and misconduct from production management are common occurrences. Fear and intimidation are used to "manage" workers. Reports and reviews are not truthful. Manipulation is achieved with a Jekel and Hyde like persona. This plant churns through production employees because of the mistreatment and misconduct of production management but then they shift the blame to the employees.

Advice to Management

Change production management. Beauty Park is a toxic place to be as a production employee and it needs different, ethical leadership.

Sonoco Products Response

Oct 13, 2016 – Corporate Communications

As a 117 year old company founded on the principle, “People Build Businesses By Doing The Right Thing” we take very seriously any complaint that identifies an action that is counter to our belief ... More

5. "Transportation"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay work isn't very hard at all benefits are ok but could be better work half the year holiday pay and overtime

Cons

Management has its favorites buddy buddy system is in effect hard to get raises insurance goes up every year turnover rate is extremely high

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to come in and clean house

6. "What a shame"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamesburg, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamesburg, NJ

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of work means lots of pay. Global company and always making money. Great for investments. Always growing in the market.

Cons

No time for family. Management does not care for employees. No one respects the older more experienced employees. Current management is too focused on money and no longer cares for the employee.

Advice to Management

Read your own words and pay more attention to the employees. You treat them like crap. Your always taking what they need and asking them to give more. You need to start giving something back if you want the high quality workers you had years ago.

7. "Sonoco"

Current Employee - Entry Level in Montgomeryville, PA
    Current Employee - Entry Level in Montgomeryville, PA

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Good days off I just wish they paid more

Cons

Horrible pay, plus management just adds on to the work load by the day with no pay increases. They pay $11 an hour but expect to get a $14-$15 work ethic out of its employees. Turn over rate is unreal no one wants to stay here

Advice to Management

Step it up

"Underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Work-life balance is a plus!

Cons

Hard work is not recognized. If they like you they will promote you, but not matter how good of an employee you are, if you are not in good with a certain click of people, you will not get a good increase, promoted, or appreciated for your hard work. Not enough diversity.

Advice to Management

Stand up for what is right, compensate employees fairly and at the base rate, stop showing favoritism.

"Sourcing specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist in Hartsville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist in Hartsville, SC

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay in small town, compare with industry average

Cons

401K match is bad, below industry average. Medical insurance package is not good.
    Location is bad, 30 mins off highway. No life when living at town.
    Old fashion company. Not too many young professionals.
    Manager has a poke face, dis-organized. Workload is unreasonable assigned to employee. Open door policy is a joke. Hierarchy is significant inside of company. Less promotion opportunities only if you keep work there for many years.

Advice to Management

Hierarchy management can't keep young talent.

"Press operator"

Former Employee - Press Operator in Owosso, MI
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Owosso, MI

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good dental and vision insurance

Cons

Harassment runs rampant in the Owosso facility, they allow other employees to harass workers on a daily basis and nothing is done. Medical insurance Leaves a lot to be desired. Management is always saying we have to make hay while the sun shines but while we worked 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week while management is in and out 40 hours a week. This went on for months.
    They have no consideration for their employees, my mom had a stroke and I missed a day to be at the hospital with her and I received an occurrence for it, I got hit had on by a 90 year old woman on my way to WORK and got an occurrence for that!!!! Crazy!!!

Advice to Management

Be more considerate to your employees, have some understanding that things happen to your employees instead of punishing them for things beyond their control. The "no fault" attendance policy does NOT work!! If someone has documentation of an accident through no fault of the employee, or their own health issues, or family member's health issues it should not be held against them. If someone is just blowing off time that's different.