Sonoco Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Great people to work with, good hours, good pay, low cost of living (in 18 reviews)

• Down to earth company with great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • What once was a company that had a small town feel is evolving to uncaring ruthless (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't show enough appreciation (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Billion Dollar Company with Small, Collaborative feel"

Pros

Want to work for a company that will treat you with dignity and respect? A company that will do what they say? A company that believes in doing the right thing? A company that challenges you? Sonoco is the company for you!

Cons

Team work and collaboration are hallmarks of our culture. For those who are not collaborative or prefer working alone then Sonoco may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to improve upon listening, gathering thoughts and communicating with employees across the organization- regardless of location, position, tenure, etc.

2. "asbestos infested, terrrible place to work"

Pros

long lunchs, lots of breaks

Cons

mangaemant, pay, peoples, work environemnt

Advice to Management

wake up

"Stepford wives club"

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sonoco has lots of cash and spends capital appropriately. Upper management is very good at financial management.

Cons

Middle management is very insecure based on lots of change and uses politics to position and insulate themselves out of fear. Business skills are not really valued unless you're one of the boys. Hartsville is bad place.

Advice to Management

You need to understand what's really happening in your business and how talent is being disenfranchised. Your one size fits all talent assessment model is EEO friendly but not serving you well.

"Underbid, Lie, Stall and in the end never deliver"

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity early in your career - but once you have started to learn the difference between wrong (Sonoco way) and right - you will find it is time to move on.

Cons

From day one - Sonoco sets its employees up to fail. They won a contract at a large CPG company by underbidding the competition - knowing full well that they could not deliver on what that contract without hiring additional staff to service this major account. This never happened, so the entire time the management is saying - yes we can deliver X on that schedule, they know it is impossible.

When that rubber meets the road and the client calls them on their inability to deliver on time on budget - those same senior managers take responsibility for the issue and simply hang the lower level employees out to dry

Advice to Management

Start being honest with your clients - and spend what it takes to hire enough people to do the job properly.

"Crappy place to work for the most part"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Franklin, OH
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Franklin, OH

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. People I work with are pretty friendly, Practice safety and really seem to follow through when you come up with ways to do it better.

Cons

This place has no culture or morality policies. The supervisor's are two faced and there always seems to be some drama going on, mainly started by the supervisors who talk about things they shouldn't be talking about to other employees about other peoples situations. Very disrespectful to upper management.

Advice to Management

Start doing your job, deal with things you know are happening.

"Awful. Simply awful. The kicker is it doesn't have to be this way."

Current Employee - Technician in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Technician in Canton, OH

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is above average. Great if you enjoy a lot of overtime hours. Safety is important to the company.

Cons

In a single word. Management. I have a very hard time believing and trusting just about anything I hear from upper management down to plant level management. Loads of overtime and bosses who seem to enjoy issuing write ups and punishment for minor infractions and some cases no infraction at all other than filling a quota. I regret every day of my life i spend in this place. Yes I know then find a new job. I'm working on it...

Advice to Management

Reduce overtime. You're killing us. If safety is so important why am I and my do workers working 7 days a week with 12s peppered in? Hire competent managers and supervisors. Have some sort of system for raises. More transparency. Everything is a big secret that "came from corporate".

"80 + hours a week with unrealistic expectations. Drove me to the breaking point."

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Franklin, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Franklin, OH

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hourly workforce was great and supportive when working on projects and investigations.

Cons

"manager" didn't understand my role with the organization. Publically threw me under the bus multiple times. Expected to miss children's events with zero notice. Never trusted.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to force people to relocate to take a different position. Some people are happy with their location and family life. Work to live, not live to work.

"Good old boy network alive and well here."

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like a place where open jobs are not posted but are mysteriously filled over night and there is no opportunity for development or advancement - apply today. You will love it.

Cons

Not open to change or a challenge to the status quo.

Advice to Management

Follow your own policis and procedures or don't get mad when we don't.

"Two faced management in Beauty Park."

Former Employee - Laborer
    Former Employee - Laborer

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours good company but they don't treat employees fairly. There are favorites that are the problem and get away with everything.

Cons

Management does not communicate. They have a few favorites that cause all the trouble and get away with it. The favorites can do whatever they want.
    People do not get promotions unless they are favorites of the "front office ". You have to friends with the HR Dept.
    HR makes their own rules to fit their friends and are very inconsistent and unfair.
    One of the poorest communications management group I've been associated with.
    Upper Management has a problem being truthful.
    This is the Beauty Park Plastics Div in New Albany, Ohio

Advice to Management

Get rid of the egotistical attitudes in the Front Office.
    Quit letting individuals make decisions that they are not qualified to make.
    COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR EMPLOYEES.
    TREAT EMPLOYEES WITH RESPECT.

"Press operator"

Former Employee - Press Operator in Owosso, MI
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Owosso, MI

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good dental and vision insurance

Cons

Harassment runs rampant in the Owosso facility, they allow other employees to harass workers on a daily basis and nothing is done. Medical insurance Leaves a lot to be desired. Management is always saying we have to make hay while the sun shines but while we worked 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week while management is in and out 40 hours a week. This went on for months.
    They have no consideration for their employees, my mom had a stroke and I missed a day to be at the hospital with her and I received an occurrence for it, I got hit had on by a 90 year old woman on my way to WORK and got an occurrence for that!!!! Crazy!!!

Advice to Management

Be more considerate to your employees, have some understanding that things happen to your employees instead of punishing them for things beyond their control. The "no fault" attendance policy does NOT work!! If someone has documentation of an accident through no fault of the employee, or their own health issues, or family member's health issues it should not be held against them. If someone is just blowing off time that's different.