Sonoco Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Sonoco Products Reviews

Updated April 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people to work with, good hours, good pay, low cost of living (in 17 reviews)

• Down to earth company with great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town, rural area, limited networking (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't show enough appreciation (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Company Inside and Out"

Current Employee - Accountant I in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Accountant I in Hartsville, SC

Pros

What a great company to work for. They care for their employees and the consumer. Great coworkers and great diversity of people. I couldn't be happier for my wonderful job at Sonoco and the products that are produce for my self and others. Thank you for allowing me to work in a safe environment and the opportunity to become a much larger asset to the company.

Cons

There is very much involvement from gatherings and lunch and learns for full time salaried (corporate). But not so much for the full time hourly (mill employees). My husband actually works in adhesives and I would like to see Sonoco provide the same opportunity to them as well. The lunch and learns could be very beneficial (like the SYP Qtr 3 event).

2. "Great company, nice pay, small town"

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

great management who really wants you to succeed, growth opportunities, good pay, low cost of living, ability to work with energetic and impassioned people

Cons

Sonoco is located in a very small town and they do absolutely nothing for trailing spouses. I'm not saying every trailing spouse has to be given a job, but it would be nice if they worked with other employers to help ease the transition or even treat spouses like internal candidates so they have a slight preference with all other things being equal.

Sonoco keeps saying they want diversity in their workforce, but the policies now for those being recruited from elsewhere favor men with stay at home wives. So until they do something for trailing spouses, talk of diversifying the workforce sounds like lip service. I really enjoy my job at Sonoco, but my spouse's situation causes significant stress at home. If not for this situation, I would be planning to retire from Sonoco decades from now.

Advice to Management

For the most part, I think management does a great job. They are encouraging and helpful. I really enjoy working for my boss.

"Packer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, OH

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Good decent pay every other weekend off decent employees

Cons

Hot _ should be temp controlled to cause less problems for machines management does not care about employees nor listen to suggestions cant keep employees because of rude management

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to hard workers not get rid of them. Give pay raises when said with no excuses or not year later or never. Show appreciation to perfect attendance and hold a family day at the zoo or something. Show you appreciate them

"Director Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Hartsville, SC

Pros

Excellent Culture, Full of hardworking people that like to WIN, but ate the same time are very nice and fun to be around.
    Multiple packaging formats, servicing the worlds top brands. Excellent reputation, Strong leadership, many opportunities for career progression, Competitive salary, Low cost of living

Cons

Located in a small town, so not as many cultural activities nearby.

"Good Work/Life Balance, Learning to Innovate"

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Stable company with financial security and sound top-down moral and ethical values.
    Opportunities all over the world.
    Great work/life balance respect that stems from respecting good work.
    Learning slowly to innovate and take greater risks.

Cons

Sometimes, things move slowly, but this is a $5 billion company so that's part of the package.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to ideas from all areas of the company.

7. "The PEOPLE ROCK!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartsville, SC

Pros

Great processes, products, policies, pay and, especially, PEOPLE! Great place for Developing Leaders! Innovation Center (iPS Studio) is VERY Modern!

Cons

Small (quaint & inexpensive) town so limited cultural events!

8. "Salaried Employee"

Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Hartsville, SC

Pros

Sonoco is an outstanding operation with caring individuals at all levels. Although the company is $5B you feel right at home and each employee receives equal care. Excellent benefits, performance management and strong executives who can reach all levels.

Cons

Ensure the corporate groups understand the plants and their struggles.

Advice to Management

Ensure you get to the plant locations and understand the associate level and how the plants are different from the corporate offices.

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Waynesville, NC
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Waynesville, NC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, and Close to home. Also very safe company.

Cons

Not enough people to do what needs to be done. Parts for repairs often not in stock. Parts they do have are often used or refurbished & worse than part replaced out of the box. Money spent on gadgets but not anything to actually run better. No 2 shifts are run the same. Nothing is uniform. What is a good product on one shift may not be on another. Some people get no discipline for same thing that others are suspended or even fired for doing.

Advice to Management

Less chiefs, more Indians, quality parts, get back to the basics of making sure all do their job correctly and the same way. Do the right thing as we see our CEO say in his video instead of punishing some & not others. Hold those accountable that fail to do their routine duties instead of expecting others to deal with the aftermath & extra work they cause.

"Benefits"

Current Employee - Benefits in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Benefits in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Compensation, Benefits, Work-Life Balance

Cons

No cons after 2 years!

"Sonoco is great."

Current Employee - Corporate Compensation Analyst in Hartsville, SC
    Current Employee - Corporate Compensation Analyst in Hartsville, SC

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sonoco is a wonderful place to work, I've learned so much in my time here and am so thankful for the experiences I've been provided. We have flexible working arrangements, competitive compensation and benefits and good team morale.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that I wish I could get more of my friends/family jobs with Sonoco.