Sonora Quest Laboratories Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Phoenix, AZ

Sonora Quest Laboratories President & CEO David A. Dexter
David A. Dexter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, recognize hard work and dedication and allows advancement within the company (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, boss was considerate (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a 24/7 Lab makes it challenging to manage a work life balance, but it's attainable (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication and professionalism isn't always demonstrated in the workplace (in 4 reviews)

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Billing Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Billing Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories (More than a year)

Pros

Sonora Quest was a part of Banner and was able to offer great health insurance and paid time off accrual.

Cons

You were only allowed to call out three times each six months before you would get written up, they never gave out raises, you are expected to over work all the time, favoritism is definitely an issue here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Take time to consider their feelings and try to understand what they are going through.

"It's Ok. Corporate and $$ Focused, Monopoly"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My particular location is the best in my region, though its riddled with mediocre support. My schedule is steady, predictable and makes things outside of work feasible.

Cons

Lack of support from middle management. This organization is surely a monopoly in our region. Pay is low. We work like oxen with a plow to earn for this organization, yet minimally paid. I feel this org preys on single women & immigrants for they are not compensated as they should be. The practices of SQL and the industry are unethical when it comes to cash vs insurance billing. They are part of the many that rape and steal from our Medicare (our taxes) and private insurance organizations.

Advice to Management

Reward the people out at the PSCs and the IOPs for the profits they collect for the organization.

3. "more proactive, less reactive. listen more."

Former Employee - CLA in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CLA in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great business plan/roadmap. Desire for excellence.

Cons

Lower level management, too many satelittes to control. Upper management/SLT is either not aware or doesn't care about high turn around of staff and feedback given by front line employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line employees. Its easy to weed out who is disgruntled and doesn't care versus who cares and is frustrated with their current duties or management.
    You have all the tools to make this an all around employee favored, sucessful business.

"A good place to start, but not sure about staying long term."

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Steady schedule. Benefits. Educational support.

Cons

Some members of management are unprofessional and its permitted by HR and upper mamagement. The organization is touted as one of the best employers in the area, but they are really about the bottom dollar. The employees really don't come first. The wages are not up to par and the feeling of being setup to fail is not all that uncommon.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen employees.

5. "Highly committed lab"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teams, nice perks, always busy making the shift go by quickly.

Cons

My specific lab has terrible shifts, but hard to accommodate with 24 hour a day labs. Generally understaffed.

"It is ok"

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not overloaded with work.

Cons

I question sometimes who they promote to leadership positions.

7. "Overall, this is a decent place to work."

Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good, and the work environment is acceptable. Management is good at the location where I work, although not all locations can say the same. Because there are several work locations throughout the Valley, there are plenty of job opportunities available and the potential to transfer if that becomes necessary.

Cons

The pay is not very competitive, especially for certain positions. The benefits are decent for now, but keep getting cut due to the poor economy. It seems that there are constant staffing issues with phlebotomy, leaving half the lab short-staffed, overworked, and therefore not always able to meet TAT goals. These revolving door staffing problems can likely be traced back to poor phlebotomy management, which is a shame since losing "good" phlebs negatively impacts everyone in the lab. Also, management in general seems to be a little too focused on education, rather than work experience, leaving many good, experienced techs with no potential for job advancement unless they are willing and able to go back to college.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more focus on keeping the good, hard-working employees we currently have, which might include giving better raises and other incentives to stay, such as reinstating tuition reimbursement, etc. I believe this would save us time and money in training costs, new employee learning curves, etc.

8. "Laboratory Sciences of Arizona A good place to work"

Current Employee - Medical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over all this is a good company to work for, I have worked for them at different sites for many years. It is a large company so there are many employment opportunities across the valley. The benefits are fine, they used to be better. The pay is acceptable and that could always be better.

Cons

It really depends on which site you work at as to how well it is managed. The company also seems to be very management heavy and even with the multitude of managers they still cannot accomplish their assigned tasks. Also they do not encourage education and advancement. They put up hurdles to get a decent raise.

Advice to Management

I think that more attention should be paid to the quality of the management team at certain facilities. Being that I have worked for several facilities throughout the years, I have noticed some management teams are just incompetant. They do not understand how to encourage and motivate their employees. They also are ineffectual at getting things done. Employees at certain sites feel like they do not have a voice because there is no improvement in the situation.