Sonora Quest Laboratories Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sonora Quest Laboratories President & CEO David A. Dexter
David A. Dexter

Pros
  • Great benefits, recognize hard work and dedication and allows advancement within the company (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, generous paid time off and people are awesome (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a 24/7 Lab makes it challenging to manage a work life balance, but it's attainable (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management/SLT is either not aware or doesn't care about high turn around of staff and feedback given by front line employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "A great place for your career"

Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Decent pay
    Positive work environment and coworker relationships
    Good communication
    An excellent company to start and grow your career and to further your experience in the field of Medical Lab Science.

Cons

Sometimes there is to much trickle down from upper management to management to the tech. The current state of Healthcare Reform is causing a higher than normal stress level and morale is definitely being affected.

Advice to Management

Upper management should visit the individual labs much more often (currently as little as once a year) and try to talk to people on a more singular level and not at large meetings.

2. "Worked there for one year"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They cared about their employees and made sure they were adequately trained. Very approachable and willing to help. I enjoyed working for them. They made sure that I always had someone to go to with problems or questions. My supervisor was great and so were her supervisors. The only reason I left was due to a change in contracts at my facility

Cons

They liked to micromanage such things as where supplies were placed and how

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more

"Great company, good career ladder for technical staff. Moved here from another state do to pay and benefits."

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay - some of the highest pay in the valley for MLS and MLTs and possibly the country (when you also factor in the low cost of living in Phoenix). Pay reaches even higher if you work off shifts, nights, weekends, and/or holidays.

-Work environment, depending on which hospital you work at (SQL run all the labs at the Banner Hospitals in the valley) is very friendly and relaxed.

-Career ladder: if you are interested in progressing through the company they do a good job of giving you leadership projects to build yourself up to get promoted if you are interested in leadership. If you aren't interested they give yearly performance-based raises if you just want to be a bench tech that's cool too.

Cons

-Occasionally short-staffed.

-Hiring process is a little cumbersome.

-As a generalist at some of the smaller hospitals you might not get to do much variety of assays. In fact you won't get to do almost any Microbiology if that is what you like. It all gets plated and shipped off to the central lab at Good Sam to be done. So if you really like Micro, you need to apply to work at Good Sam or Papago.

Sonora Quest Laboratories Response

Dec 18, 2015 – Recruiter

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are anxious to hear your input as we work to continually improve our employee's experience!

"Supply Chain Internship"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories part-time

Pros

Friendly and open atmosphere. Good Values and work culture. Excellent CEO and top management. Lots of opportunities and room for growth.

Cons

May not be as progressive/forward thinking as some may desire.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the attitude of striving to make sure all employees are learning and growing.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, lots of time off

Cons

Busy place with growth and change

7. "Good Leadership"

Current Employee - Medical Lab Tech II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Lab Tech II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up within the company.

Cons

Health benefits are administered by Banner health. There are MANY Dr.’s in the area that will not work with our insurance.

"great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

leadership and direction always ahead of the curve.

Cons

Obamacare is a slow motion train wreck!

Advice to Management

It cost money... to make money

"Great company in Arizona"

Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

After a year able to switch facilities, advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement, CLA to MLT program, MLT to MLS program, flexible schedules

Cons

Median pay below other valley hospitals

Advice to Management

Attract employees eager to work and that work well with others, rather than burnt out people or people with bad attitudes.

10. "Laboratory Sciences of Arizona A good place to work"

Current Employee - Medical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Lab Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over all this is a good company to work for, I have worked for them at different sites for many years. It is a large company so there are many employment opportunities across the valley. The benefits are fine, they used to be better. The pay is acceptable and that could always be better.

Cons

It really depends on which site you work at as to how well it is managed. The company also seems to be very management heavy and even with the multitude of managers they still cannot accomplish their assigned tasks. Also they do not encourage education and advancement. They put up hurdles to get a decent raise.

Advice to Management

I think that more attention should be paid to the quality of the management team at certain facilities. Being that I have worked for several facilities throughout the years, I have noticed some management teams are just incompetant. They do not understand how to encourage and motivate their employees. They also are ineffectual at getting things done. Employees at certain sites feel like they do not have a voice because there is no improvement in the situation.

11. "Overall, this is a decent place to work."

Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good, and the work environment is acceptable. Management is good at the location where I work, although not all locations can say the same. Because there are several work locations throughout the Valley, there are plenty of job opportunities available and the potential to transfer if that becomes necessary.

Cons

The pay is not very competitive, especially for certain positions. The benefits are decent for now, but keep getting cut due to the poor economy. It seems that there are constant staffing issues with phlebotomy, leaving half the lab short-staffed, overworked, and therefore not always able to meet TAT goals. These revolving door staffing problems can likely be traced back to poor phlebotomy management, which is a shame since losing "good" phlebs negatively impacts everyone in the lab. Also, management in general seems to be a little too focused on education, rather than work experience, leaving many good, experienced techs with no potential for job advancement unless they are willing and able to go back to college.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more focus on keeping the good, hard-working employees we currently have, which might include giving better raises and other incentives to stay, such as reinstating tuition reimbursement, etc. I believe this would save us time and money in training costs, new employee learning curves, etc.