Sonora Quest Laboratories Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

3.2
Sonora Quest Laboratories President & CEO David A. Dexter
David A. Dexter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, recognize hard work and dedication and allows advancement within the company (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, boss was considerate (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a 24/7 Lab makes it challenging to manage a work life balance, but it's attainable (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management/SLT is either not aware or doesn't care about high turn around of staff and feedback given by front line employees (in 5 reviews)

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Billing Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Billing Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories (More than a year)

Pros

Sonora Quest was a part of Banner and was able to offer great health insurance and paid time off accrual.

Cons

You were only allowed to call out three times each six months before you would get written up, they never gave out raises, you are expected to over work all the time, favoritism is definitely an issue here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Take time to consider their feelings and try to understand what they are going through.

"It's Ok. Corporate and $$ Focused, Monopoly"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My particular location is the best in my region, though its riddled with mediocre support. My schedule is steady, predictable and makes things outside of work feasible.

Cons

Lack of support from middle management. This organization is surely a monopoly in our region. Pay is low. We work like oxen with a plow to earn for this organization, yet minimally paid. I feel this org preys on single women & immigrants for they are not compensated as they should be. The practices of SQL and the industry are unethical when it comes to cash vs insurance billing. They are part of the many that rape and steal from our Medicare (our taxes) and private insurance organizations.

Advice to Management

Reward the people out at the PSCs and the IOPs for the profits they collect for the organization.

"Top Heavy Management/Low Phlebotomist Pay"

Current Employee - Iop Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Iop Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good insurance benefits and pto.

Cons

No overtime, lack of communication between departments for example: IOP field accessioning and logistics training the couriers. 2 week wait to get supplies to draw patients. I have ordered supplies from Labcorp just because they have one day turn around. Very top heavy management and a pass the buck mentality. Very low morale amongst the rank and file employees over low pay. Personally I had the federal Department of Education tell me that they would defer my college loans because I didn't make a living wage and have enough income to make a college loan payment. That is in my opinion very sad. A $20 bonus at Thanksgiving that is of course subject to payroll taxes. Wow what a slap in the face for all the hardwork the employees do everyday.

Advice to Management

Perhaps an initiative to improve morale by putting employees first instead of profits. Richard Branson said "A company is only as good as it's people". There are great people at Sonora Quest, they just feel ignored and unappreciated. Engage management with the rank and file. Can Dave Dexter draw blood?

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, lots of time off

Cons

Busy place with growth and change

"Supply Chain Internship"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories part-time

Pros

Friendly and open atmosphere. Good Values and work culture. Excellent CEO and top management. Lots of opportunities and room for growth.

Cons

May not be as progressive/forward thinking as some may desire.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the attitude of striving to make sure all employees are learning and growing.

"Great company in Arizona"

Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

After a year able to switch facilities, advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement, CLA to MLT program, MLT to MLS program, flexible schedules

Cons

Median pay below other valley hospitals

Advice to Management

Attract employees eager to work and that work well with others, rather than burnt out people or people with bad attitudes.

7. "more proactive, less reactive. listen more."

Former Employee - CLA in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CLA in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great business plan/roadmap. Desire for excellence.

Cons

Lower level management, too many satelittes to control. Upper management/SLT is either not aware or doesn't care about high turn around of staff and feedback given by front line employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line employees. Its easy to weed out who is disgruntled and doesn't care versus who cares and is frustrated with their current duties or management.
    You have all the tools to make this an all around employee favored, sucessful business.

"great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

leadership and direction always ahead of the curve.

Cons

Obamacare is a slow motion train wreck!

Advice to Management

It cost money... to make money

"Off to a bad start at this company and it just got worse."

Former Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mlt in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of jobs available with availability to transfer

Cons

The company is Lawsuit driven. Everything is about following the letter of the SOP, yet many times the SOP is incomplete, missing or wrong. Yet many a time, supervisors don't follow the SOP themselves. Management looks to cover its rear while throwing employees under the bus.
    Pay is one of the lowest in the area, benefits are only so so. I know 2 Year MLT's making >$25 at other facilities with MS's making $20 here.
    They stress "one of the best places to work in Arizona" yet I know many employees and very few are happy
    Management also biased towards MS's vs MLT's

Advice to Management

Don't be so detached from the worker bee's. If there is a dispute between a supervisor and an employee you should have an open mind because the supervisor may just be wrong.

"A good place to start, but not sure about staying long term."

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Steady schedule. Benefits. Educational support.

Cons

Some members of management are unprofessional and its permitted by HR and upper mamagement. The organization is touted as one of the best employers in the area, but they are really about the bottom dollar. The employees really don't come first. The wages are not up to par and the feeling of being setup to fail is not all that uncommon.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen employees.