Sonos Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2020

4.1
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence
Pros
  • "A great product and service, a very caring culture, quick to react to changing trends and world events(in 34 reviews)

• "Flexible hours as long as you can deliver, work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on(in 10 reviews)

• "Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing(in 6 reviews)

1. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work culture, helping people, growth

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Support Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with and a very transparent company.

Cons

Difficult to get in to Sonos due to competitive nature of the market.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, new hire and annual stock grants as well as 15% cash bonus Great leadership team. First company where I feel like our leadership team sincerely cares about the employees Flexible work-from-home policy 3 weeks PTO annually + Holidays + Birthday + Days for charity Great people Many opportunities for advancement. Once you have a job there, there are clear steps you can take to move up to the next level if you desire.

Cons

Ever since the George Floyd situation, management has been encouraging employees to take company time to read anti-racism and white guilt literature (note: encouraged, not required). Conservative views are not publicly spoken about, while progressive views are welcomed and talked about openly. I'd prefer to keep politics out of work altogether. I would still consider this a 5 star company, which is saying a lot. I plan on working here for years to come, and my hope is that the politicization of our work environment is only temporary and will blow over when public outrage moves on to some other topic.

Continue reading
  4. "Great culture and values"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sonos full-time

Pros

People-oriented company with special culture. Leadership team tries to actually live by the values they talk about. Amazing co-workers - smart, creative, and passionate.

Cons

Several reorgs have resulted in layoffs Limited career growth opportunities as organization has been flattened in recent years

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome product. Great place to work with amazing CEO who lives Sonos values. A lot of opportunities here to grow in your career.

Cons

Difficulty in collaborating across various team due to messy processes and systems.

"Neutral outlook"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting blend of hardware and software experience Some talented colleagues Has gotten better with benefits (401k match, stock options)

Cons

Too often people are rewarded for being blockers to innovation/new ideas (reluctance to try new things) Promotions largely dictated by politics vs. performance

Continue reading

"Still having growing pains."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO leads with integrity and inspires bandmates. The products and product roadmap are visionary. Really smart colleagues who are committed to moving the company towards its goals. Great energy and enthusiasm in Customer Care and Product groups. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Your experience at Sonos will depend heavily on the VP, and their (in)ability to lead and to play politics. Some are competent leaders, other are not. Bullying is tolerated, and diversity is still sorely lacking across the organization. The diversity and inclusion officer never misses a photo-op, but has failed to implement noticeable change. HR continues to fail corporate-wide with aligning published culture with practiced, which is not too surprising given the elitist and ineffective leader. Managers are hamstrung by HR when wanting to promote their employees, resulting in turnover. Negotiate hard for your salary, as you may not receive a raise for a few years. Workplace can be noisy and disruptive. Breakout rooms are often used as offices by the same people who publicly endorse the open floor plan.

8. COVID-19

"Don't work here."

1.0
    CRM Campaign Manager

I worked at Sonos for less than a year

Pros

a couple of free speakers, some cheese sticks and refreshments available before the pandemic.

Cons

Let's go: Hiring manager asked if there was a pause considering this leap from current FTE role to take a fixed term contract role for a consumer electronic company most people would scratch heads at the name? Yes. I managed a CRM program for a top global brand. I also helped manage one of the most powerful apps in the world. Any person with a brain would pause at this crazy notion but with the lay-off climate at my company at the time, I felt compelled to take a risk. I was promised opportunity for growth. I love the speakers. I love the work behind this product. Then you meet the marketing org. I mistakenly trusted that Sonos actually cared one second about my goals and vice-versa. This company is let-me-tell-you *major bully culture* in a startup environment that was so outgrown. You will be challenged personally in meetings with your superiors. It's disgusting. They call it transparency. In the end and after all that energy spent and time lost that I will never get back, I discovered I was just filling a maternity leave. Lucky me! I was a warm body in a seat to cover for a person that truly had it in for me from the beginning to never succeed. I have a very detailed progression in writing of what happened month by month but this site continues to reject my submission. Hindsight is painful. So is censorship. So is a lousy tech-stack and the employees who don't even know what to do with it. Don't trust what management or HR (the people team) tell you. A couple of free speakers is not worth your future. People are truly miserable at this company. If you work in D2C, I warn you to go elsewhere.

Continue reading
  9. "Great place to work, but company priorities can be scattered at times."

Current Employee - Software Development Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for less than a year

Pros

They support employees individual growth and development and are very people focused which translates into their products.

Cons

There is not a lot of diversity and there's difficulties collaborating across teams.

10. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time

Pros

Humanity first, considerate management, diversity valued

Cons

Bumpy stock price, other similar public companies have better market performance

Found 182 reviews