Sonos Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "smart people, interesting problems, great product" (in 27 reviews)

• "Strong work-life balance for employees" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on" (in 10 reviews)

• "Management is an impenetrable sect that has no accountability and veils its decisions behind closed doors" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A place where you can love what you do for a living."

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, fun people, strong values, progressive atmosphere and work/life balance. Competitive compensation and lots of opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

Can be slow to pivot at times, but people are willing to try new things, so I mostly see this as an opportunity to make progress.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing innovations—with products and processes.

2. "LiveChat Sales Specialist"

I have been working at Sonos part-time

Pros

Work remotely, flexible hours, good pay for the work.

Cons

No face-to-face interaction present due to the nature of the role.

Advice to Management

Excellent management!

3. "Great Product/Culture"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company with a mission that inspires me to come to work everyday and give my best no matter it’s current climate.

Cons

Career stagnation since I started here.

"Great product, excellent people, stalled career growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of all: I have great love for the people of Sonos and the products we make. I use them in my home daily and see the value in what we do each day. I personally love the culture at Sonos. It's fairly laid back, no expectation to work late or work weekends (although sometimes some of us do, just for yucks and because the weather in Boston sucks 5 months out of the year), just get your stuff done and go home. But people do work hard. Work from home is allowed, but like anywhere else, you will not be on the same footing as people coming into the office every day. Pay is great, I have a lot of freedom to explore new technologies and processes, and I have learned a tremendous amount. I have worked with some seriously whip-smart folks. It's also the first place in my life where I felt like it was OK to be me.

Cons

Too many people waiting to cash out on stock options who are kind of 'retired on the job' which can be incredibly frustrating to deal with. I blame Sonos for overpromising years ago on Stock options, but the level of overpromise pales in comparison to the start-up world, so it's not an abnormal situation. That being said, cash compensation is more than adequate. While I have learned a ton, I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm outgrowing my role, but there's not really a place for me to move up (or out, or sideways) to. Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing. I hate working in an open office, but that ship has sailed long ago. You might wonder why so many folks work from home, well, there's your answer.

Lighting is abyssmal, and engineers who sit near natural light seem to have all the control over lighting. It would be great to have a lighting expert come in and make some scientific decisions instead of a battle of engineers choosing how dark to make it because of how hypersensitive their nervous systems can get. Employees should not battle for lighting.

Noise is also a problem. Overhead maskers help, but there's no real enforcement of having meetings (or phone calls) not out in the open. How the heck am I supposed to debug a seriously hard systems problem when impromptu meetings happen in open air?

Paying software engineers more will not make these environmental problems go away and (surprise!) not magically make them more effective engineers. Environment is important, especially for work which requires up to 10 hours a day (only before a big milestone) of deep, sustained concentration.

All in all, these are petty concerns. At the end of the day Sonos has granted me a lot of tangible and intangible benefits, and I am truly grateful for that.

Advice to Management

Management, look at the problems affecting your current staff, not your hypothetical future growing staff. You have two problematic populations within your company. You have a group of people who have been here for a few years and many of them fall into one of two camps:
    1) engaged but frustrated veteran employees who want so badly to advance their careers and expand responsibilities, but have zero opportunity to do so.
    2) disengaged veteran employees retired on the job waiting to cash out on stock options.

Start hiring internally for God's sake! Address technical debt so that people aren't irreplaceable if they want to move up! Negotiate with dead weight veteran employees waiting to cash out, they are not doing you any favors!

Software is overworked and the amount of office space we have considering our equipment requirements is ludicrously small compared to project management, who are never at their desks and always in meetings. Nobody is spending weekends working (at least not mandatorily, some programming addicts do so compulsively), but it does feel at times that heroics are unnecessarily normalized (see: technical debt), creating a culture of resentment among ultra-high performers (who might act the same way in any environment, quite honestly). Also, please stop reiterating in memos HR-driven rhetoric that nobody in their right mind cares about. Focus on the real problems plaguing your current employees, not social ones that Sonos is in no real place to address. Every time we get one of these memos, it reminds us that HR heads live in a kind of ivory tower fantasy and are totally out of touch with the concerns of real employees. Talk to us.

"Great culture"

I worked at Sonos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and facilities.

Cons

Many large scale technology companies have entered into Sonos' product space. Uncertain future.

"Sweet gig for directors+, but maybe not for junior IC’s or junior managers’ long-term career advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organizational culture is special—truly a unique find with headquarters in beautiful Santa Barbara. The company lives by its values and cultural norms, and measures employee performance against alignment with the values and norms, so make sure you believe in the values. Individual departments take on their own culture—so make sure you understand what your manager’s style is and how team members describe the work environment.

I felt like I had a seat at the table, that my opinions were considered and respected, and that I directly contributed to the success of the organization in visible ways.

The mission made me happy and I believed in it.

The product is phenomenal. It positively impacts your life, and your friends and family will love you for the discounts. Music is on in the office all day—a pro for me!

I really enjoyed my coworkers and my manager—definitely people I was happy to grab a drink with. Nice mix of folks from college grads to experienced professionals at all different stages of life. Work was fun and there were occasional work events to mingle with other departments.

1:1’s with my manager were beneficial and I received good development and coaching while there.

I completed some of my best work at Sonos and wore several hats—a product of good timing, getting the right opportunities, and lack of sufficient labor resources.

Cons

Slow to make decisions and affect change. The company has created a culture of taking the time to get it right at the expense of being nimble, which is difficult in such a competitive environment. This trait is reflected across several departments—from product to finance.

Certainly there are promotions, but as with many smaller mature companies, opportunity for upward mobility is limited by who makes room for you above. And Santa Barbara is beautiful and has a limited job market—directors+ like to hang in there. Just make sure you like the role and compensation you got hired in at—you could be there several years.

Archaic finance systems and lack of labor resources to be successful. Leadership does not timely invest in system resources or get additional skilled labor resources to fill in the interim gaps to the detriment of their organizational effectiveness.

Boys club. I’ve seen it a few times in other posts and it was true during my time. Certain departments only promoted men for the last few years even when their headcount had approx. 50/50 male:female ratio.

Total compensation package is underwhelming, but getting better. Compensation was historically weighted towards equity. However, with lackluster stock performance since the public debut, I hope leadership is considering how to retain employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent communication. It’s a great way to keep employees engaged.

Listen to understand when your teams identify issues like aged systems and under resourced teams. Then, actively work to address the concern or remediate it.

7. "Internal Communications Specialist"

Pros

Great culture, great people. It's exciting to be around music constantly.

Cons

Selling retail electronics doesn't provide the same cash flow as software.

"Poorly Run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sonos (More than a year)

Pros

You get a speaker when you sign up

Cons

Poor communication
    Poor leadership
    Poor development
    Poor management

Advice to Management

Listen

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Maternity Leave
    - Awesome Product
    - You wear a lot of hats and are able to try things outside of your expertise (mostly because you have to due to lack of focus, prioritization from the company + lack of bodies/resources)
    - Good work life balance
    - Santa Barbara

Cons

- Lack of leadership across C and VP level
    - Top down and bully culture
    - Company preaches empowerment, but all real decisions are made by senior leaders
    - Pay (not competitive with the marketplace and cost of living)
    - True lack of HR support and employee development if below a director level
    - Fun, exciting start up culture has been decimated due to 2 layoffs over the course 3 years
    - Lean teams along with a lack of budget make it a difficult place to work
    - It's work to work here. You spend more time figuring out how to do your job then actually doing your job.
    - Quality of life at Sonos is dependent on what team or department you are in.
    - A lot of office politics, the most I have ever seen, especially in the marketing department.
    - Boys club. Extremely challenging place to be heard as a female.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Recognize people for their work. Invest in your people. Develop and hire leaders that are good people managers. Understand the purpose the brand , what makes us different and stick to it vs changing it year and after year. Make your consumer communications easier for people to understand.

10. "good place"

I have been working at Sonos full-time

Pros

smart people, interesting problems, great product

Cons

high work volume - not all work being shared equally

Advice to Management

think about pace more