Sonos Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, great culture, great product" (in 24 reviews)

• "There is still a bit of a startup feel with a good work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on" (in 10 reviews)

• "As many other have said middle management can be a issue" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, many challenging problems to work on. Awesome brand reputation. There is still a bit of a startup feel with a good work-life balance.

Cons

Rapidly growing company comes with some growing pains. If you don't have an appetite for a constantly changing environment, this place may not be right for you. As the company gets bigger, it can he harder to get things done.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to preserve the right balance between exiting startup culture and sustainable growth environment.

2. "Incredible amount of talent & passion"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Sonos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of very talented engineers. Everyone is incredibly passionate and into there work. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

hard to think of any

Advice to Management

- continue focusing on product development
    - lots of competitors

3. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior DSP Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior DSP Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is very satisfying. Everyone is extremely intelligent which makes for high performing teams. The ability to work from home when needed enables you to get the job done while having a life outside of work. Great communication from senior leadership on the company's path.

Cons

Confusing compensation strategy and no 401k match.

Advice to Management

Keep enabling your employees to innovate.

"Decent place to work, management needs a new vision"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that, sometimes, push the edge. Customers love the products which is always a great feeling.

Cons

Management is in the Microsoft mold. It's very much a club. If you are in the club, the sky's the limit, else you are stuck.

5. "Amazing company with room to grow"

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sonos has a lot to offer. The people here are passionate, driven and they care about each other. Individuals are included in decisions regardless of their level of seniority and there are always opportunities to jump into projects if you're interested in learning more about a certain area of the business or your function. We care about music and you can feel that influence all through out the company (we have music constantly playing in the office). Leadership is quite transparent in general and there has been a major positive transition to focusing on high-performing teams recently.

Cons

Sonos is growing and now competing with some of the biggest brands in the world. We have had to evolve and grow and that has been difficult and messy. Everything is up-in-the-air and privy to change. With that, it can feel a bit uncomfortable. Sonos can also improve in providing individuals with opportunities for career growth. There has been a lot of thought about that topic and there will hopefully soon be positive changes, but at this point, there haven't been any concrete actions taken.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the culture and what makes Sonos special. There are a lot of passionate, driven and eager people who love our mission and desire to pursue it. As we grow, make sure that we keep the culture that employees love at Sonos central -- the music, the events and relationships!

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Sonos for 4 years. We have a great culture. Our environment is collaborative and I get to work with passionate, kind and extremely smart colleagues. Great management and awesome products!

Cons

There are a lot more pros to working at Sonos than cons. There's a lot of interesting work to be done - stay laser focused!

Advice to Management

As we grow strive to preserve the culture - it's great!

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has good culture
    The Compensation is good too
    Colleagues are fun to work with

Cons

Need more clarity around career path and growth

"Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company had great vibes with special music events, hackweeks, etc. Lot of benefits from free music subscription to nice snacks. From technical pint of view, it’s pretty cool and lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Although there are other good benefits, they pay pretty low end in salary range. Growth options are slim - expect to see little or no wage change and promotion for atleast 3/4 years after you join. Very meager on wage changes, travel, etc. Going off for technical summits/events are cutdown due to cost issues. There are lot of oldies at Sonos who try to control things in the name of Sonos way and user experience.

Advice to Management

Provide more growth opportunities for people to grow. Let people go to conferences and represent Sonos - it also helps attracting talent. Stop oldies from using “Sonos way” to shut new ideas. Involve technical people early in discussions and not let management design solutions (they tend do that a lot).

"Everything but Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great CEO and company culture. Cool events and perks.

Cons

Finance in particular operates differently and has a different culture. Much more strict. Lots of overtime (no overtime pay). Very budget sensitive so we do not participate in many company perks. Not flexible in working remote unlike other depts.

Advice to Management

Look out for one another and listen to what someone says. Do not disregard someone or an idea off of something you think you know when you don't have the knowledge. Be transparent.

"Great place to work, awesome culture and excellent product-focus!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, it really is experience-first for product development but also for employees. Recruitment was fun and accommodating, and the office culture is A1.

Cons

As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on.

Advice to Management

Stay laser focused on our goals and competing in the growing smart speaker market