Sonos Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Feb 6, 2018

4.3
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence
Pros
  • "A great product and service, a very caring culture, quick to react to changing trends and world events(in 34 reviews)

• "Flexible hours as long as you can deliver, work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on(in 10 reviews)

• "Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work, awesome culture and excellent product-focus!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing, it really is experience-first for product development but also for employees. Recruitment was fun and accommodating, and the office culture is A1.

Cons

As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products, many challenging problems to work on. Awesome brand reputation. There is still a bit of a startup feel with a good work-life balance.

Cons

Rapidly growing company comes with some growing pains. If you don't have an appetite for a constantly changing environment, this place may not be right for you. As the company gets bigger, it can he harder to get things done.

Continue reading

3. "Great place to work with some minor issues"

I worked at Sonos full-time

Pros

Great company culture and great products.

Cons

With the growing organization came growing pains in terms of corporate structure.

Continue reading
  4. "Great place for new challenges"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product. Very fun to work on. Lots of opportunity to learn new things and take on new challenges. Easy to have a large impact on the company and product.

Cons

The growing pains of transitioning from start up to large company can be tough

5. "Heading in the right direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, cool product, and replaced work environment.

Cons

Young company with growing pains.

"Great people, dealing with growing pains"

4.0

I have been working at Sonos full-time

Pros

Inspiring commitment to values and mission: this is the glue that holds the company together The people: smart, open to new ideas, transparent

Cons

Growing pains, as the company continues to seek that right balance between start-up type grittiness and flexibility, and the maturity needed to run a large business.

Continue reading

"Great place to call home"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment with a company that treats their employees wonderfully. I have never worked somewhere where I was valued for "being myself".

Cons

Company is going through some growing pains as they scale larger.

Continue reading

"Unique company, great people"

in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos for more than a year

Pros

Everyone who works at Sonos believes in the mission of delivering the ultimate home music experience so I work with people who are really into what we're doing, not afraid to express themselves, to dissent and fight for what they think is right all with the same shared purpose in mind. And people are crazy about music which is awesome. I've never worked anywhere like it. There isn't that internal competition I've seen other places, I really feel like we're a band all moving forward together. The work is also interesting, challenging, love the chance to focus on fewer things and do them really well.

Cons

Experiencing some growing pains and in need of systems and other solutions to scale as the company grows. Working there requires your heart and soul to be IN the company (could be a pro as well) but it's demanding physically and emotionally.

Continue reading

"Getting in their own way"

2.0

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with smart people who as passionate about music. Competitive employee health benefits.

Cons

Management turns a blind eye to internal issues, tenured managers who don't live the company values, no 401K matching, growing pains, company gets in its own way of success, hire good individual contributors who shouldn't be managing teams, and constant reminders of how the employees aren't meeting the unattainable standards that the company has set for the fiscal year.

"The next couple of years will be critical"

2.0

I have been working at Sonos

Pros

The people are nice and if you are in an entry level job, the atmosphere is great. The speakers themselves are a great product and you can be proud of them. As a benefit you get discounts on the products. There is a very strong vision for the speakers themselves and the management will stop a product release until it is of a very high standard. This is a company you will either love or hate. If you are used to working in a structured company and executing on a strategy, this probably won't be the place for you. If you have a lot of energy and patience and can tolerate the churn and noise and just do stuff, then you will probably enjoy Sonos.

Cons

There are way too many people with opinions on how to do things, but not enough people to execute these. Everybody and their dog will have an opinion on your work and they usually won't tell you to your face. Either that or they will expect to have sign off on what you do. This problem is made worse by the time zones. I have seen things which normally take a short time in other companies get bogged down by every man and his dog wanting input. The result is usually a failed project which wastes time, costs a lot of money, leaves a lot of technical debt to clean up (which nobody does). The company is moving from being a start up to a mature company and is going through considerable growing pains in the change. They have hired very talented people, but there is a bit of conflict between the people who have been there for a long time and new people. The company is aware it needs to change, but really struggles at allowing people to make those changes. Again, the time zones make this even worse. If you want to make real change you have to be prepared to work with 3 different time zones (and counting) and the long hours that entails. In my experience, there is a lack of trust in middle/upper management and a general feeling of job instability as a result.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews