Sonos Employee Reviews about "middle management"

Updated Mar 16, 2019

4.3
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence
Pros
  • "A great product and service, a very caring culture, quick to react to changing trends and world events(in 34 reviews)

• "Flexible hours as long as you can deliver, work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on(in 10 reviews)

• "Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "middle management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great product, excellent people, stalled career growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First of all: I have great love for the people of Sonos and the products we make. I use them in my home daily and see the value in what we do each day. I personally love the culture at Sonos. It's fairly laid back, no expectation to work late or work weekends (although sometimes some of us do, just for yucks and because the weather in Boston sucks 5 months out of the year), just get your stuff done and go home. But people do work hard. Work from home is allowed, but like anywhere else, you will not be on the same footing as people coming into the office every day. Pay is great, I have a lot of freedom to explore new technologies and processes, and I have learned a tremendous amount. I have worked with some seriously whip-smart folks. It's also the first place in my life where I felt like it was OK to be me.

Cons

Too many people waiting to cash out on stock options who are kind of 'retired on the job' which can be incredibly frustrating to deal with. I blame Sonos for overpromising years ago on Stock options, but the level of overpromise pales in comparison to the start-up world, so it's not an abnormal situation. That being said, cash compensation is more than adequate. While I have learned a ton, I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm outgrowing my role, but there's not really a place for me to move up (or out, or sideways) to. Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing. I hate working in an open office, but that ship has sailed long ago. You might wonder why so many folks work from home, well, there's your answer. Lighting is abyssmal, and engineers who sit near natural light seem to have all the control over lighting. It would be great to have a lighting expert come in and make some scientific decisions instead of a battle of engineers choosing how dark to make it because of how hypersensitive their nervous systems can get. Employees should not battle for lighting. Noise is also a problem. Overhead maskers help, but there's no real enforcement of having meetings (or phone calls) not out in the open. How the heck am I supposed to debug a seriously hard systems problem when impromptu meetings happen in open air? Paying software engineers more will not make these environmental problems go away and (surprise!) not magically make them more effective engineers. Environment is important, especially for work which requires up to 10 hours a day (only before a big milestone) of deep, sustained concentration. All in all, these are petty concerns. At the end of the day Sonos has granted me a lot of tangible and intangible benefits, and I am truly grateful for that.

Continue reading

"Love CEO(s), values, product. Culture struggles in the middle."

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good product. Great company values. Lots of enjoyable people. CEO who inspires and motivates. Has been an amazing place to work in the past.

Cons

Middle management struggles. Slightly less competitive pay. Struggles to provide internal growth opportunities. At times, a difficult environment for women to thrive. Lack of effective/right tools and resources to do best job. Some teams have grown, over time, to form cliques. Has been a great place to work in the past, but experiencing issues that are driving great minds and hardworking people to want more/better and in turn leave.

"Not a Party"

I worked at Sonos full-time

Pros

There are worse employers out there. Sonos has been through many changes and had a RIF in March but I see they are back at it hiring again after yet another reorganization. Hopefully things work out well. It's a decent pay check, but don't expect much growth or guidance here. They are trying to get it together , but hopefully it is not too late from both the people perspective and the market opportunity. Flexible Tend to attract people who want to work in a fun culture People know the product and Brand

Cons

My impression while working there was that it was one of the most unfulfilling places I have been. As most people have already noted in other reviews the big issues were they were always changing direction, Upper and Middle management give unclear expectations, they talk a good talk but cant seem to walk to the walk. Morale has been down for a few years. People are trying to hold on so they can cash out on the stock that has not been liquidatable for awhile now. These are all points other have already hit on. My take on this is that you get is a Game of thrones situation with people stuck trying to hang on long enough to cash out their stock, which hopefully will happen if they can get it together. On the surface it looks like a cool place to work however when you dig deep there is alot of dysfunction going on. The executives never want to admit they made a bad hire so the bad directors can stay around for a very long time, in turn they probably hire the middle managers that don't care and are not getting good direction and it is eventually blamed on the individual contributor or team lead. High ego at the top in the past. Hopefully the new leadership team is not running the same plays. The offices in Seattle and Boston have much more of a city vibe because people have options. At the end of the day, it has been a bureaucratic, politically driven corporation. Hopefully this will change. I have seen them finally trying to make people a priority but I am sure things have prompted this. Hopefully they get ahead in the people department and the market opportunity as well. As with all teams it probably depends where you sit in the organization. They operate in silos so each dept has a bit of its own culture. You may end a lucky one, but you may not.

"Tough place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Lots of great people. There are some true gems hidden in this company. • Enthusiastic about music and the streaming music industry. • Endless potential • Great customer following • Hardware is top-notch, especially it's audio for the price point. • If you are a music buff, you'll have found your people here.

Cons

• Very hard to do your best work. It's a top heavy company. Isolated and centralized decision making behind closed doors stifles the companies best performers. • Tough environment - if you want to work for a company that is collaborative and fosters autonomy, this is not the place for you. It will tear you down before it builds you up. You'll spend more time selling the right thing to do, then being empower to do the right thing. • Can be a bit volatile, at times. In some cases, when projects or situations get tough, people get intense and angry - this tends to cultivate fear over togetherness. • The company moves very slow in product development. Resulting in very few releases and clunky software. Instead of fixing these things, it makes every excuse not to. • Meetings, meetings and more meetings - projects can drag on for a few years or even die on the vine because of lack of empowerment, poor middle management, and indecision. • The company still is leading the charge in many ways, but lack self-awareness and urgency. A very, very dangerous place for a consumer electronic / technology company to be this day in age. • Believes in 'hiring the right leaders'. While this is a great philosophy, they have a track record of hiring the wrong leaders or pausing all progress until they find that unicorn. This mindset doesn't believe in building and trusting its people or finding and building leaders from within. If/when they do happen to promote someone in that capacity, it is very rare. Many times they've promoted someone who has been at the company for a long time that doesn't have the capacity to lead people well. Dangerous, as one of the primary reasons people leave a company is due to poor management.

"Proceed with Caution"

I worked at Sonos full-time

Pros

Good discount on product Decent Bonus - if you make it Office spaces are nice physically - Boston Cool product, good people

Cons

As many other have said middle management can be a issue. It may be a flaw in the overall structure . I have Never have reviewed any manager. They do not let employees review the managers, so when people are mismanaged no one ever knows. People quietly disappear often. I have seen people uproot their life to move to one of the main locations then disappear a few months in. They should fix this. Not much upward growth. Its a big company that does not do well working across silos. Now they have a lot of competition so this will be a hindrance. Company is not as cool as you think it would be, don't believe the product branding crosses over into the work place. Not as diverse as you would think. No Raises and stock not able to liquidate stock. Leaders/Managers do not motivate, not a place where people are put first. Despite the nice office spaces it can still feel depressing because of the culture.They have a good idea of culture but coming from the top but somehow it gets lost in middle management.They have a good vision just need to execute better. No 401k match, as you get older this matters. Many younger people work here. Managers often set unclear changing expectations.

Continue reading

"The next two years will be the companies defining moments."

Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Sonos for more than a year

Pros

Good perks. Exciting industry. You build something that you can hold and show your friends.

Cons

Very disorganized. The company focuses too much on growing middle management and tries to act too much like a big company. A lot of technical debt.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews