Sonos Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 27, 2020

4.3
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence
Patrick Spence
Pros
  • "A great product and service, a very caring culture, quick to react to changing trends and world events(in 34 reviews)

• "Flexible hours as long as you can deliver, work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any growing company, there are some growing pains, but these are challenges/opportunities that we are excited to be facing head-on(in 10 reviews)

• "Then again, the mostly flat structure has made it so that nobody is backstabbing each other for middle management roles, which is a good thing(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun company, laid back environment, music 24/7"

Current Contractor - Live Chat Agent in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos for more than 3 years

Pros

-culture -work/life balance -flexibility -management -perks -great products that sell themselves

Cons

none besides the fact that I'm a seasonal employee and would like to be employed full-time

"Still having growing pains."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO leads with integrity and inspires bandmates. The products and product roadmap are visionary. Really smart colleagues who are committed to moving the company towards its goals. Great energy and enthusiasm in Customer Care and Product groups. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Your experience at Sonos will depend heavily on the VP, and their (in)ability to lead and to play politics. Some are competent leaders, other are not. Bullying is tolerated, and diversity is still sorely lacking across the organization. The diversity and inclusion officer never misses a photo-op, but has failed to implement noticeable change. HR continues to fail corporate-wide with aligning published culture with practiced, which is not too surprising given the elitist and ineffective leader. Managers are hamstrung by HR when wanting to promote their employees, resulting in turnover. Negotiate hard for your salary, as you may not receive a raise for a few years. Workplace can be noisy and disruptive. Breakout rooms are often used as offices by the same people who publicly endorse the open floor plan.

Continue reading

3. "Fantastic Learning Experience"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Sonos for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly friendly people Fantastic work/life balance Great mentorship Generally just a great environment

Cons

Development feels somewhat cumbersome Culture can sometimes feel a little bit slow

"Good place to grow"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good culture: transparent, collaborative, Golden rules and people are generally very down to earth, having a common goal to work towards. - Flexible hours as long as you can deliver, work life balance - Company encourages managers to help you build your growth plan.

Cons

- Location.... Santa Barbara is a sleepy, isolated town, lack of housing and rent is ridiculously high for what it has a offer. - Decision making can be slow due to the amount of stake holders involved (and everyone has a voice) - Still experiencing some growing pain, sorting out the best processes and practices to adapt the ever changing market

"A great place to grow and do what you love"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, great work-life balance, and great sense of innovation.

Cons

Nothing I can think of so far.

6. "Music makes life better"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work life balance. The products are fun and innovative to work on. Sonos believes that music makes lives better and in a way that belief is built into the culture of the work environment. Your managers care about you.

Cons

I really don't have any. This place has been fantastic to work for giving me more time with my family and allowing to excel and grow within my career.

7. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Creative in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

culture, work-life balance, music culture, creative culture

Cons

management can sometimes have the wrong ideas and strategies.

"Used to be great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great Maternity Leave - Awesome Product - You wear a lot of hats and are able to try things outside of your expertise (mostly because you have to due to lack of focus, prioritization from the company + lack of bodies/resources) - Good work life balance - Santa Barbara

Cons

- Lack of leadership across C and VP level - Top down and bully culture - Company preaches empowerment, but all real decisions are made by senior leaders - Pay (not competitive with the marketplace and cost of living) - True lack of HR support and employee development if below a director level - Fun, exciting start up culture has been decimated due to 2 layoffs over the course 3 years - Lean teams along with a lack of budget make it a difficult place to work - It's work to work here. You spend more time figuring out how to do your job then actually doing your job. - Quality of life at Sonos is dependent on what team or department you are in. - A lot of office politics, the most I have ever seen, especially in the marketing department. - Boys club. Extremely challenging place to be heard as a female.

Continue reading

"A place where you can love what you do for a living."

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products, fun people, strong values, progressive atmosphere and work/life balance. Competitive compensation and lots of opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

Can be slow to pivot at times, but people are willing to try new things, so I mostly see this as an opportunity to make progress.

10. "FP&A Manager"

4.0

I have been working at Sonos full-time

Pros

Strong work-life balance for employees

Cons

Silo'd organization leads to lack of transparency

Found 23 reviews