Sony Online Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley
John Smedley

Pros
  • Lots of great people and artists at the company (in 9 reviews)

• Prior to the layoffs there was not much crunch time and work/life balance was well rounded (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Incredibly over-extended use of crunch time showed massive oversights by managers in assessing scope, staff and scheduling time and time again (in 4 reviews)

1. "The EQ2 team is great to work with"

Former Employee - EverQuest II Game QA in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - EverQuest II Game QA in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere
    Great people
    Quality games
    The contract company they use offers great benefits

Cons

Better planning could lead to less OT
    Some money issues causing cuts in some of the QOL things like breakfast and OT dinners

Advice to Management

Better planning and time gained from pushing back deadlines should be used for polish rather than cramming in more features.

2. "Great People, Great Games"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are creative and excellent to work with. I loved my time there and would work there again if I were not in the wrong city. I felt that I was able to move up the ladder at SOE. Passion and drive are not frowned upon (at least not by the people I worked with). The upcoming games look excellent and I think only the sky is the limit for the company.

Cons

Sometimes the overall strategy can take a 2nd place to last minute ideas and changes that should be given more time to percolate. They have made some awful mistakes int he past, but I honestly believe they have learned from them and are on a better footing for the future than they were in the past.

3. "Customer Support Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, excellent review system during first 3 months

Cons

Got laid off, but kind of the nature of the beast working as a contractor.

Advice to Management

Have more people like Jeff Bard

5. "3d Artist"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my 8 and a half years of employment with Sony Online Entertainment. I worked on a highly profitable game with the company and saw the company grow to over 700 people and multiple studios throughout the world. I worked with many talented people who became good friends of mine while I was there. Great pay, bonuses and royalties during my time there. Best job that I ever had.

Cons

The company is no longer around as it was when I worked there.

"Tremendous opportunity mixed in with some occasional old ideas."

Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decentralized organizational structure and a startup mentality culture means that employees with initiative and tenacity can easily create opportunities to benefit themselves as well as the company. Has the potential to change the face of the video game industry in the next five years.

Cons

Can be needlessly bureaucratic. Sink or swim environment isn't for everyone. Legacy systems and lack of mature processes mean that economies of scale are hard to come by and business innovations are often stillborn. Must mature or stagnate.

Advice to Management

Clean up the free riders and the dead wood. Hire a executives from successful service organizations to manage the nuts and bolts of the business. Partner them with the visionary CEO and creative leaders on the game development teams to create strategy, refine market opportunities and business deliverables and develop robust business models. Communicate goals and expectations clearly throughout the organization so everyone understands how their job contributes to the bottom line (either as a cost or a profit).

7. "Programmer at Sony Online Entertainment in Austin, TX"

Former Employee - Programmer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Austin, TX

Pros

Very well managed development team, family friendly, and a good work-life balance.

Cons

I was paid a very low salary even after turning down initial offer and negotiating for a few thousand more. Also my annual raise and bonus were tiny even though I received a great review.

Advice to Management

Great management that knows how to run a game company.

8. "Lacks Direction"

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Work with great designers in a casual environment. Also, you can't beat working on games. Company wide play tests etc.

Cons

Lacks an overarching strategy. Teams are pulled in a million different directions with little explanation. Also, can at times be a political mine field mixed with a little nepotism.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and go.

9. "A great place to be for those looking for work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Executives who are passionate about gaming
    - Humanistic work environment
    - Great location

Cons

- Red tape, as with any large corporation
    - Slow to innovate

"Sony treats its employees really well, but something seems to hold back the company from making big hits."

Former Employee - Senior Environment Artist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Environment Artist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are all really good at Sony. The work environments are relaxed and they generally treat their artists with a lot of respect. They send the whole company to movies every once in a while and have random fun employee events. They supply good food when there are mandatory crunch hours.

Cons

There are mandatory late/weekend hours sometimes, but that's the case with pretty much any game company. They typically reward well for this though, with nice bonuses & supplying dinner or random treats. There's a bit of a bureaucracy and hierarchy there where sometimes respecting hierarchy and order is more important than pointing out problems and solving them - especially if they are big and outside your specific department. So there's a lot of "yes man" mentality where you're just better off if you have problems - mostly keeping them to yourself unless it's something you can actually make a difference with yourself, directly.

Advice to Management

There's something about the structure there that makes lower level employees not want to give honest opinions about the current state of the game. So people will sometimes chatter to themselves about big problems that need to be solved and addressed, but for some reason they don't want to be the ones to point them out. It's a big studio where the fat is trimmed from time to time - and no one wants to be the fat. So no one wants to point out the problems because they don't want to offend anyone that might have a say in whether or not they are "trimmed." I don't mean to be too harsh though - that's just probably a big part of why the recent games havent been as big of hits as they could have been. Aside from that, management treats the employees very well and a lot of people have worked a long time there as a result.

11. "A Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Multimedia Artist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Artist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great place to work with managers who understand the family to work balance needs of employees. Plus they make video games!

Cons

In my time there they had 3 layoffs. I was caught in the third one in 2011. I don't think there has been one since then.