Sony Online Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley
John Smedley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of great people and artists at the company (in 9 reviews)

• Typically the hours don't crunch very much and the day-to-day work/life balance is even (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, upper management can seem out of touch, scheduling can be a mess (in 7 reviews)

1. "A creative and exciting place to work without being micro managed."

Current Contractor - Security in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Security in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Creativity, opionions, and just being yourself is encouraged. Feel like writing an idea on one of the white walls or the white boards all over the building feel free to. Its a very laid back and stress free environment.

Cons

They like to do what I call, "Test drive before they buy" so they like to contract you out first before deciding if they want to bring you on full-time or not.

Advice to Management

I am very happy with management and the communication they have with their employee's.

2. "Lacks Direction"

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Work with great designers in a casual environment. Also, you can't beat working on games. Company wide play tests etc.

Cons

Lacks an overarching strategy. Teams are pulled in a million different directions with little explanation. Also, can at times be a political mine field mixed with a little nepotism.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and go.

3. "A great place to be for those looking for work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Executives who are passionate about gaming
    - Humanistic work environment
    - Great location

Cons

- Red tape, as with any large corporation
    - Slow to innovate

4. "Working hard to ship award winning games and satisfy our dedicated fans"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, great co-workers, great games, and great fans.

Cons

Some times crunch is excessive.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the work life balance and long term goals.

"Awesome culture, but at a cost"

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back. Dress-code, environment, work hours, etc.

Cons

Struggling company, light on salaries, bonuses, raises, company events, etc.

6. "Overall, a great experience."

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The bottom line for upper management is to make good games, retain people over the long haul and provide them with a good way to make a living. They try to make it a fun place to work, and encourage life balance. Yes, making money is important to them, but money is a means to an end. They are loyal to employees as much as practicality will allow. They don't lay people off unless they have to.

Cons

The company has been struggling over the last few years. The games are often too confusing and complex for the general public. The last couple of games were very expensive and did not do as well as expected. They haven't found a way to make a good profit under the new free-to-play business model. Company morale is currently low.

7. "worked on the web design team"

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

really great benefits, medical etc. that also included things such as free life drawing classes for artists. Really fun projects and titles to work with. Got to work with other talented artists and devs. The web design management team at the time was supportive and not political at all. I'm not sure that I can say that about other departments.

Cons

the design team needed more power to run their department and sometimes marketing would be allowed to run design projects badly. On my way out though it looked like this was less and less the case.

They were a little slow to embrace changing web technology and we would still get hampered by having to do things like make sure all projects worked in IE6 and this was in 2008.

They definitely need to trim their losing titles and get some better products out.

Definitely bureaucratic at times.

Advice to Management

don't let bad management stay too long. All in all though great people, great work, great resources and a talented team. I did see some promising titles just sink after a lot of hard work.

8. "Great company to work with a little bit disorganized on the payments."

Current Contractor - 3D Artist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - 3D Artist I in San Diego, CA

Pros

You get to work on cool projects. They were very willing to accommodate my needs to work from home. Art team was really nice and helpful.

Cons

I am working as contractor for them. I don't know if that is the reason but my payments are almost always late and I have to keep reminding the accounting department to pay me.

Advice to Management

The only advice for me would be to keep an eye out on their accounting department.

"Good People, Long Hours, Decent Work"

Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are very passionate, close-knit groups, and generally willing to share information within the company if asked.

Cons

Long hours, upper management can seem out of touch, scheduling can be a mess.

Advice to Management

Try to avoid last-minute scheduling that results in calling people in only to find they can't do their job because they're waiting on other teams that aren't coming in that day.

10. "Easy job but it is boring"

Pros

The job is pretty easy to do and most of time you can just search on the internet for whatever you want

Cons

could be very long hours