Sony Pictures Entertainment "hack" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Sony Pictures Entertainment Employee Reviews about "hack"

Updated Mar 23, 2018

3.8
Sony Pictures Entertainment Chairman and CEO, Sony Pictures Entertainment Tony Vinciquerra
Tony Vinciquerra
Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes hard to find the work-life balance, because often need to be overtime(in 20 reviews)

• "They never fully recovered from the hack in 2014(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "hack"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Intern"

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment

Pros

Employee Screenings M-W, Cheap salad bar

Cons

The computer system is slow to update after hack

Sony Pictures Entertainment2015-10-30
  2. "Disconnected from Main Campus"

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time

Pros

well known name in the industry, company name on your resume can open doors in television & film world

Cons

you feel very disconnected from the main campus in Culver City. On boarding is non-existent. They never fully recovered from the hack in 2014. Very old company so processes and programs are prehistoric.

Advice to Management

collaborate more with remote locations, have an introduction week where new hires go to you or you go to them. don't be afraid to invest in new technology. its worth it in the end.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2018-03-23
  3. "Sales Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment

Pros

Great place to work.

Cons

The hack didn't help my credit.

Advice to Management

I wish they encouraged more department interaction. Everyone is in their own silos.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2018-02-28
  4. "Friendly and comfortable, with paranoid leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly colleagues. - ‎Good compensation. - Reasonable working hours. Most people are gone by 4 and half-day Fridays aren't uncommon. - The lot is nice to walk around on, and I saw some cool sets and a couple celebrities. - ‎You can get tickets to movie screenigs and Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune tapings. - Froyo is available (for purchase) for 3/4 of the year. - Nice gym, free for employees. - ‎The lot is right next to downtown Culver City, which is a nice walk and has lots of good food options. - Managers are usually hands off, unless there's a deadline or a mandate from Sony Corporate Japan.

Cons

- Sony is a big company, and I often felt like a fly on an iceberg. It's hard to make any changes, or have an impact. I would sometimes spot a problem and offer a solution, only to be rejected or so bogged down with red tape that nothing could get accomplished. - Leadership is paranoid of another hack and this severely hinders the progress of projects and the implemetation of modern solutions that are normal at other companies. - Colleagues who had been there a long time were very used to the slow pace and inflexible leadership. It was accepted as the normal way of life at Sony. - ‎High turnover rate, many skilled employees move on to better opportunities. - ‎A lot of work is outsourced to India (even their internal desktop support). With the timezone difference and communication issues, projects can drag on and a lot of late night/early morning meetings are necessary. - ‎Mandates from Sony Corporate in Japan would force us to put aside all other work and focus on getting a "passing grade". This meant that many of the important projects we had got delayed even longer. - ‎The Wolfgang Puck commissary on the lot is not very good and it is very expensive. The coffee shops on the lot are also very expensive.

Advice to Management

Take feedback from employees and work hard to improve their quality of life to retain talent. Let go of some of the paranoia and take on more modern solutions to improve the speed at which things get done.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2017-11-15

"Good From Afar but Far from Good"

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time

Pros

Nice culture, strong feeling of family. Lots of creative, talented people who are fun to collaborate with. Most full-time people get to participate in the annual bonus plan, which is unusual.

Cons

SPE is a bit of a rudderless ship these days. The CEO has been here too long and should be replaced but Sony Corp in Japan refuses to cut him loose for some reason. The company has had a few years of poor performance and were we a publicly traded company, the CEO would never have been allowed to continue. Based on what we saw in the aftermath of the hack, he doesn't really want to be here anyway.

Advice to Management

Reinvigorate the management ranks by hiring a new CEO. Morale is exceedingly poor right now and our financial performance is at the lowest levels its been since I've been here. Instead of going up, earnings have slowly tapered off. Japan shouldn't accept these results and take control of the situation by hiring a more capable senior team to run the business, one that can deliver results. The Company needs a strategic vision and a plan for achieving it. We have yet to see anything of the kind.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2016-10-04

"Welcome to the dark ages..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

People get promoted here very quickly. There are many perks like onsite dental, free gym, electronics discounts, free employee movie screenings. People are generally very nice. Competitive health benefits and average 401k match.

Cons

They move at a snail's pace. Projects are extended and you need lots of signatures to get going on anything. Lots of stakeholders with no sense of urgency and they love to delay everything for no good business reason. Processes are not documented or got lost in the hack and never replaced. Extremely siloed environments and no chance to work on cross-functional teams. People still have desktops here! The employee handbook says "flexible work schedule and work from home" but it is not practiced. Companies have been allowing work from home and flexible hours for a decade and Sony is just behind the times. Welcome to the dark ages....

Advice to Management

All the research that comes out states the top two things employees want are flexible hours and working from home (more than on an ad-hoc basis). Get up to speed on the real employee wish list. Be more transparent about company financials. Hire people who have experience, not just an ivy league education. You do not need 30 Presidents and 250+ Vice Presidents.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2016-04-06

"Great people, lots of cost cutting"

Former Employee - Assistant in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people, interesting studio lot, good location, good salary, very nice employee perks and programs.

Cons

Not enough staff, heavy workload, lingering IT issues from the hack, management seems stuck in the past, poor theatrical film slate.

Advice to Management

Stop eliminating positions, especially financial roles. I know you think it saves you money, but in the long run, everyone else is becoming less productive. When one person has to do the job of three people, or has roles dropped on them that they are unsuited for (finance especially) I don't think you're really saving money. You're just creating an unproductive work environment.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2016-01-25

"Manager"

Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment

Pros

Cool lot and location. Culver City restaurants are great.

Cons

poor management, too political, lack of strategy, backstabbing, since the hack nobody trusts anyone

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the Presidents and start again

Sony Pictures Entertainment2016-01-31
  9. "Love it"

Current Employee - Vice President in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work on one of the the most historical studio lots in the world, doing a job I love. How can I complain.

Cons

Sony Pictures has had issues with the hack and will be tight financially this year

Advice to Management

Change is a good thing, but in our Motion Picture group, execs seem to be changing their minds so fast that it is causing chaos.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2015-12-17
  10. "Good, but slow"

Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

Pros

Good camaraderie, but rapidly losing relevance in an increasing digital world. Good location, good benefits, nice work life balance, good mentors.

Cons

The hack really set the company back, as does lack of franchises and TV distribution. Limited upward mobility, senior management stays forever.

Sony Pictures Entertainment2015-12-01