Sony PlayStation Reviews in Foster City, CA | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation Foster City Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Foster City, CA

Pros
  • Team-oriented work and great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Amazing staff and very positive/professional work environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • there is a great work/life balance but sometimes there are days when you take your work home with you on weeknights or weekends (in 14 reviews)

• senior management is incentivized to prioritize department performance over overall business performance (in 21 reviews)

1. "Good people to work with but a bit disorganized"

Former Employee - Counsel in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Counsel in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere and good work life balance

Cons

Very separate departments that do not sure information. Rigid chains of command

Advice to Management

Create better teams without all the top down management

2. "At Sony Format QA, the atomosphere of the work place is very friendly and relaxing."

Former Employee - QA Professional in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Professional in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most permanent QA testers stick around for a long time and no one quits volunteerly.

Cons

There are some child-ish customs and regulations set by the management at FQA department (set by the supervisor).

Advice to Management

Some of the Sr. testers sit by the corner can surf the net all day without being noticed. They should be taking more leadership in the department and put more efforts into what they do.

3. "Staff Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance; 4 weeks vacation;

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited; Senior mgmt communications could be better

"Sad and spiteful state of management"

Former Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initial impression of 'Sony' name on resume still good. A good learning experience on what type of company to not work for again.

Cons

Management out for what is in it for themselves only. No company loyalty. People who stay around are lifers, seeking static environment, no ambition, not about work or progress, just self preservation. Extremely risk adverse, not open to changes or new ideas. Management allowed to be spiteful, vindictive. Unprofessional behavior tolerated.

Advice to Management

Show concern and dedication to the company, walk the talk. Be open to change and new recommendations. Treat staff with respect.

6. "Good people, lots of politics"

Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people to work with, nice location, decent perks.

Cons

If your VP is connected well, your group will do well. Pick the wrong horse and your department will get absorbed into a different one. That's not unique to this place. Future outlook is murky. Vita needs to do better. Everything is riding on ps4. If it doesn't do well, it will be the end.

Advice to Management

The new building is nice, but more investment in rewarding hard workers is the key.

7. "Used to be the greatest place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative, highly motivated environment. A dream job for an engineer. Japanese company loyal to employees. Good at life work balance.

Cons

Sinking industry. Sinking company. Short-sighted and inept management. Terrible at keeping talent. Disfunctinal teams all across departments. In spite of much effort, lots of silos across the organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in training mid and senior level managers. Establish process, expectations and accountabilities. Foster collaboration acroos teams/disciplines/geographies. Invest in training software engineers.

"It was pleasant internship"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance was good. Interaction within a group was good. You could talk and discuss work with your manager at any time.

Cons

Interaction among groups are a little less. They did not hold a group gathering for interns where interns from other department could meet at one place.

"Fun Industry but Very Poor Executive Management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, friendly co-workers, fun industry. I loved work here at PlayStation, mostly because of the industry. I learned a lot of what NOT to do!

Cons

Executive Mgmt is clueless. PS Move, 3D and PS Vita are all failures. PS Mobile will be the next failure. I don't have a lot of confidence that Orbis will sell well as I don't see it selling to the casual audience. They simply don't need it. The company is quickly losing support of their 3rd Party Publishers.

Advice to Management

Improve marketing and focus on your core gamer. Repair the relationship with 3rd Party Publishers. Stop investing in low margin areas where you can't compete, like casual games. Focus on the core gamer. That is your market!

"So much red tape I'm drowning"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. Slowly building up collaboration and trying to build up proper infrastructure.

Cons

Corporate IT Policies block production progress at every turn. There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments. No one knows what anyone is working on, and not just in secret projects but in building up infrastructure. We need to be working on coming together and bridging the gap between IT and other departments. They either need to give up our own environment to properly manage or to learn to work closely together. They believe obscurity is security. All this does is put a black cloud of paranoia over all departments and causes major administrative overhead and time wasting.

Advice to Management

Please work toward getting specialized departments like R&D their own infrastructure so that we can properly manage our highly specialized user setups ourselves. We have a very talented and diverse team and need to at some point need to learn to trust our employees.

I hope someday that we can have a fine line between corporate IT and Production work system administration.

Ultimately there are too many large egos in IT and far too much Red Tape. Some of this may be due to cultural differences between the Americas and Japan, however certainly not to the extent that we experience and fight for everyday. We must work as a team or we will fall apart. Duplication of efforts, lack of knowledge and communication impacts planning in certain departments, and ultimately we end up with a less secure environment as we are not working together and utilizing all our talents.

Point being, "Learn to trust your department admins and give them the control they need to build up proper and secure infrastructure."...You might even learn something.

11. "Great Brand and the company is changing for the better..."

Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PlayStation looks like it has it's Mojo back...

Cons

Offices are currently old and cramped but we move to new offices in 2013! Good news!