Sony PlayStation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sony PlayStation President and Global CEO Andrew House
Andrew House

Pros
  • Team-oriented work and great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Amazing staff and very positive/professional work environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • there is a great work/life balance but sometimes there are days when you take your work home with you on weeknights or weekends (in 14 reviews)

• senior management is incentivized to prioritize department performance over overall business performance (in 21 reviews)

"Would be an amazing place to work if it weren't for Internal Politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with! Perks/Events/Swag is always a plus. Benefits got revamped and have the most amazing Dental Insurance available.

Cons

Too much politics in play. It's a constant power struggle between former SCEA and SNEI - it affects overall morale among different dept and teams.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to realize that a new era of PlayStation has arrived - it is no longer SCEA and SNEI - it is now one company SIE. Change is inevitable, especially when it is to be a change for the better. Leadership needs to step up and accept change and not fall into this "this is how we do it, and there's no changing process" or "my way or no way" type of mentality - it only hurts the company and it turns away amazing talent.

2. "Culture is Different at Each Office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The San Francisco office definitely has a little more of a start-up feel (things are a little more agile), but with a strong financial backing. The politics are not bad, and everyone seems to work well with each other.

Cons

However, there are some bureaucracies you have to deal with because Sony is a very big company. Departments which service employess (such as IT help desk and HR) are not very friendly at the SF office.

3. "Enjoyable at times yet taxing almost always"

Current Employee - PlayStation Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - PlayStation Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I get to work with a product I've grown up with and love.
    - I get to work with some of the coolest people I've ever gotten to know.
    - The team you get really starts to become family after a while.

Cons

- Favoritism is a huge issue here and the only ones promoted are those on the inside, not the qualified.
    - Management doesn't really disclose things that are pertinent to our job ahead of when we'll need the information.
       - We're often left blindsided by some of the issues that happen and our stats are used against us even if it's a new issue that we don't know how to resolve.
    - The turnover rate here is pretty high and good agents leave due to management's lack of transparency/flexibility or other stupid reasons.

Advice to Management

Do something to reward the agents that are still here and are also giving this place their all.

5. "Great Culture Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encourages innovation and big thinking

Cons

Need to move more quickly

"Fun environment but some changes are needed."

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic team, fun environment, great location for commuting. I enjoy my job, which is fun and challenging. I love my Sony family.

Cons

Increased responsibilities (doing the work of two people) without compensation or promotion. Lack of clear guidance, direction, and leadership from management, coupled with constant re-organization has lead to staffing confusion, and multi-boss syndrome.

7. "Great company with good benefits and environment"

Former Employee - Research Director in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Research Director in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The products (both the hardware and the games) are top-notch and high quality. Corporate culture is fairly employee oriented, the parties are great and there is plenty of swags. In my case, my boss was one of the best employer to ever work for.

Cons

Compensation is in the mid-range, some decisions take a long time to achieve.

"They care for customers, not so sure about employees"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on with gaming consoles and games. The company strives hard to keep customers/gamers happy by keeping content fresh and introducing new technologies. Lots of talented and passionate employees work here. The "cool" factor about working at a gaming company, your family & friends flock towards you at parties/gatherings.

Cons

The gaming community as a whole are very spoiled customers compared to other industries. They get to whine and complain about the smallest details about games and consoles that will cause the Nintendos/Microsofts/Sonys to have knee-jerking reactions to their strategies and decisions. This often comes at a price of causing stress to employees in forms of constant team restructuring, projects being in constant flux, management changing directions, layoffs and OFFICE POLITICS. If you can't handle being thrown under the bus or not being sure whether people are talking $h!t behind your back, don't work here or at any gaming company!

Advice to Management

Re-consider the company's focus being only to satisfy the customers. Think twice about how your decisions impact the employees who work so hard to deliver work that they're also passionate about.

"Retail Marketing"

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work culture is astounding. Upper management actually cares for their employees (if their employees care of themselves to begin with).

Cons

The desire to know details that are happening behind the scenes in different departments can be maddening at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. For the most part, people are very satisfied with the work-life balance. Problems are addressed quickly.

"Leadership is incredible and Management is terrible"

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

The leadership is fantastic. You will be hard pressed to find more visionary, likable and intelligent leader in your department. They have a clear vision of the future of the company, the possibilities and it's incredibly contagious. They will give you a lot of vigor to fulfill their dreams so that the customer is well taken care of. They're also not afraid of taking their own risks and trying new things (as long as it meets their superiors agenda). As much as they will deny it at PlayStation, a love of gaming is near required. Which is a pro if you have a affinity for games. A con if you are not.

Cons

Management is incredibly powerful and they keep that power for themselves. The simple fact is that you were hired for a job, and for that job only. While some companies hire for creativity, intellectuality, boldness. You are at PlayStation to fill your cog in the machine. Giving me the feeling of being a Temp / Contractor more than a Full Time Employee. For example, exploring other aspects of PlayStation (let alone Sony) is near impossible due to the dozens of security, management protocols and other walled garden approaches that the company has taken in order to enforce this. However, the leadership within PlayStation or those who have their ears, will enjoy pushing the boundaries of entertainment while taking advantage of PlayStations bright and friendly workforce.

In summary, if you're looking for a company ready to invest their dime in you to take risks or explore in any facet of the word without being in a position of power, then you best look elsewhere.

11. "Good employer, nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work culture, fun place, good perks.

Cons

Not many opportunities to grow.