Sony PlayStation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation President and Global CEO Andrew House
Andrew House

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle (in 17 reviews)

• senior management is incentivized to prioritize department performance over overall business performance (in 24 reviews)

1. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Contractor - Desktop Support Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Desktop Support Administrator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-The people are fun to work with
    -Always a busy day which makes time go by faster

Cons

-A lot of process not in place
    -Contract to fulltime conversion takes too long in I.T. department

2. "Great People, Low Pay"

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

Great people and products at PlayStation.

Cons

Non-competitive wages at the IC level.

3. "Not Competitive"

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

nice people , some good benefits

Cons

no set path to promotions. some people get promoted after only a year of half way doing the job while others get no promotion for years of going above and beyond.

"Pros and Cons"

Former Contractor - QA Tester in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Tester in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are really great. You'll bond with 95% of your coworkers. You will have the weirdest inside jokes, and have a lot of fun if you have a passion for games. It's generally a 9-5 m-f job, which is nice. Most of the people are really fun.

Cons

Testing is only by contract, which means you will have a fair amount of no work between projects. Also, for every 18 months you work, you will be forced to take off three consecutive months. Upper management pretty much constantly craps on testers and over the time I was there, most of the perks were taken away. You will be expected to work overtime, and if you can't or don't want to, chances of getting called for another project are slim. There is next to no upward movement for testers. If you're a woman, expect a ton of sexism/everyone talking about sexy anime characters and what they'd like to do to their waifus. Nothing will be done when you mention that to upper management. Pay is awful.

Advice to Management

Help testers find ways into better positions. Open up communication with them. Stopping making them feel like they're a disposable worker.

"Great company to work but takes time to make decisions"

Current Employee - BI Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - BI Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture
    perks (free giveaways, bonus, insurance)

Cons

Slow moving
    No stock plans
    Not like bay area culture

6. "Overworked..."

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

Great experience for your career, full immersion into big projects.

Cons

Verbally abusive Supervisor, 93+ hours a week on crunch time (which happens for a couple months on EVERY big game)

Advice to Management

Plan your game development cycles better. You've been doing this long enough to not have to grind your employees to the ground. Especially the poor sound guys.

"Enjoyable at times yet taxing almost always"

Current Employee - PlayStation Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - PlayStation Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I get to work with a product I've grown up with and love.
    - I get to work with some of the coolest people I've ever gotten to know.
    - The team you get really starts to become family after a while.

Cons

- Favoritism is a huge issue here and the only ones promoted are those on the inside, not the qualified.
    - Management doesn't really disclose things that are pertinent to our job ahead of when we'll need the information.
       - We're often left blindsided by some of the issues that happen and our stats are used against us even if it's a new issue that we don't know how to resolve.
    - The turnover rate here is pretty high and good agents leave due to management's lack of transparency/flexibility or other stupid reasons.

Advice to Management

Do something to reward the agents that are still here and are also giving this place their all.

"Fun environment but some changes are needed."

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic team, fun environment, great location for commuting. I enjoy my job, which is fun and challenging. I love my Sony family.

Cons

Increased responsibilities (doing the work of two people) without compensation or promotion. Lack of clear guidance, direction, and leadership from management, coupled with constant re-organization has lead to staffing confusion, and multi-boss syndrome.

"They care for customers, not so sure about employees"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on with gaming consoles and games. The company strives hard to keep customers/gamers happy by keeping content fresh and introducing new technologies. Lots of talented and passionate employees work here. The "cool" factor about working at a gaming company, your family & friends flock towards you at parties/gatherings.

Cons

The gaming community as a whole are very spoiled customers compared to other industries. They get to whine and complain about the smallest details about games and consoles that will cause the Nintendos/Microsofts/Sonys to have knee-jerking reactions to their strategies and decisions. This often comes at a price of causing stress to employees in forms of constant team restructuring, projects being in constant flux, management changing directions, layoffs and OFFICE POLITICS. If you can't handle being thrown under the bus or not being sure whether people are talking $h!t behind your back, don't work here or at any gaming company!

Advice to Management

Re-consider the company's focus being only to satisfy the customers. Think twice about how your decisions impact the employees who work so hard to deliver work that they're also passionate about.

"Leadership is incredible and Management is terrible"

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

The leadership is fantastic. You will be hard pressed to find more visionary, likable and intelligent leader in your department. They have a clear vision of the future of the company, the possibilities and it's incredibly contagious. They will give you a lot of vigor to fulfill their dreams so that the customer is well taken care of. They're also not afraid of taking their own risks and trying new things (as long as it meets their superiors agenda). As much as they will deny it at PlayStation, a love of gaming is near required. Which is a pro if you have a affinity for games. A con if you are not.

Cons

Management is incredibly powerful and they keep that power for themselves. The simple fact is that you were hired for a job, and for that job only. While some companies hire for creativity, intellectuality, boldness. You are at PlayStation to fill your cog in the machine. Giving me the feeling of being a Temp / Contractor more than a Full Time Employee. For example, exploring other aspects of PlayStation (let alone Sony) is near impossible due to the dozens of security, management protocols and other walled garden approaches that the company has taken in order to enforce this. However, the leadership within PlayStation or those who have their ears, will enjoy pushing the boundaries of entertainment while taking advantage of PlayStations bright and friendly workforce.

In summary, if you're looking for a company ready to invest their dime in you to take risks or explore in any facet of the word without being in a position of power, then you best look elsewhere.