Sony PlayStation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Team-oriented work and great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Amazing staff and very positive/professional work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • there is a great work/life balance but sometimes there are days when you take your work home with you on weeknights or weekends (in 14 reviews)

• senior management is incentivized to prioritize department performance over overall business performance (in 23 reviews)

"They care for customers, not so sure about employees"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on with gaming consoles and games. The company strives hard to keep customers/gamers happy by keeping content fresh and introducing new technologies. Lots of talented and passionate employees work here. The "cool" factor about working at a gaming company, your family & friends flock towards you at parties/gatherings.

Cons

The gaming community as a whole are very spoiled customers compared to other industries. They get to whine and complain about the smallest details about games and consoles that will cause the Nintendos/Microsofts/Sonys to have knee-jerking reactions to their strategies and decisions. This often comes at a price of causing stress to employees in forms of constant team restructuring, projects being in constant flux, management changing directions, layoffs and OFFICE POLITICS. If you can't handle being thrown under the bus or not being sure whether people are talking $h!t behind your back, don't work here or at any gaming company!

Advice to Management

Re-consider the company's focus being only to satisfy the customers. Think twice about how your decisions impact the employees who work so hard to deliver work that they're also passionate about.

"Retail Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work culture is astounding. Upper management actually cares for their employees (if their employees care of themselves to begin with).

Cons

The desire to know details that are happening behind the scenes in different departments can be maddening at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. For the most part, people are very satisfied with the work-life balance. Problems are addressed quickly.

3. "Good employer, nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work culture, fun place, good perks.

Cons

Not many opportunities to grow.

5. "Solution Architect"

Former Employee - SAP Solution Architect in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - SAP Solution Architect in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, challenging work

Cons

No cons i can think of

6. "Staff Hardware Engineer R & D"

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the best company I've worked for in the last 20 years.

Cons

Things move a bit slow for my liking.

"Just Don't Stay Too Long"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous brand - the prestige of working for PlayStation (let alone Sony) will follow you and can absolutely be leveraged to further your career; its a good call to come here for a relatively short period of your career (the earlier the better).

Some quality people - many of those that I would consider amongst my best friends came from my experience working here.

Benefits are solid - comprehensive, relatively cheap, and plentiful (incl. soft benefits like on-site gym, etc).

Annual bonuses - they are a generous percentage (when things go well; they don't make up for poor salaries though).

Genuinely fun work - if you're the type of person that can't appreciate the product you work on, then I don't know what to tell you (con: there are actually people that are like that at PS).

International exposure - once you've achieved a certain status (senior manager and above).

Location is good - in that it's equidistant from everywhere/everyone and thus at least an equally miserable commute regardless of your point of origin.

Cons

Politics - absolutely crippling. I feel like I could survive the current geo-political theater given some of my experiences at PS. Nearly everyone at a Director level and above is a careerist; many of whom have risen through attrition and can be given the benefit of the doubt due to inexperience elsewhere. Tactically, it's a situation where they will at best play well with those that are useful to them. In other cases they are literally holding the company hostage in exchange for their own personal advancement. In some remote cases, the behavior belies something even darker and more manipulative, where it can be outright creepy to be in their presence. This company could be on top of the world if it wasn't for the culture...

Pay - it's absolutely terrible. Poverty levels for many people (esp. in the Bay). Then again, there are plenty of people that have been there for 20 years, haven't done anything meaningful for 15, and makes ~ $350k w/bonus and has enough perks (such as travel) to pad out any possible lack of luxury in their life...

HR - thankfully, they fired a lot of HR people that really deserved it about 2+ years back, but its a long road to recovery, and the damage is probably already done...

Technology - they used IBM Lotus Notes until like 2013/2014. I once had to follow 17 steps to print out a single expense report through their legacy Oracle system. We live in Silicon Valley - is this a joke?

Culture - rewards underperformance and sycophantic behavior. There is a negative pull to PS and people quickly learn helplessness and move to a point of complacency; this is widespread enough that I'd describe long-term tenure as a potentially career-limiting move due to the sheet virality of the culture and the fact that what flies here would never be tolerated at any other tech company in the Valley.

Advice to Management

I used to manage a pretty sizable team here. My advice: Embrace anarchy - walk away for a few weeks and then behold the rebound of your business when you return. After you do that, learn you lesson and don't meddle. You actually have the opportunity inherent in your category and brand to do even more amazing things - what you've achieved is almost a fluke or statistical probability. Look at World Wide Studios for inspiration. Flat orgs that reward creativity and keep the politics to a minimum is key to your future success.

"Negative, stressful, unorganized environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Pros

The food, coffee, and special events.

Cons

Senior management is negative and puts others down as if it's a game. This demeaning attitude is also reflected in people who work closely with management. You're constantly criticized by others and never given support/encouragement. This was a regular complaint I heard from peers. You would constantly hear employees in Procurement and Project Management complaining about how stressed they were. The managers are incompetent and promoted without any experience in their field, with bunk degrees (DeVry, Phoenix, etc.). They also hire family members without experience in their field. This makes it difficult for anyone with actual qualifications to work effectively and make improvements. Many employees are incompetent and don't reply to emails or phone calls.

Advice to Management

Be supportive and encouraging. Drop the negative, demeaning attitudes. Hire competent, educated, experienced professionals.

9. "It was an amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

- Surrounded by approachable people willing to help you learn anything
    - Integrated into a working development team
    - Being proactive is welcomed and rewarded
    - Generate a ton of great references, and if you standout, they remember when it comes hiring time
    - PlayStation culture is great if you are into video games and stuff

Cons

- Maybe not the most likely internship to land you a permanent job, but they're pretty clear about that upfront (I still ended up with a contract job and eventually a permanent job)

Advice to Management

If interns impress but don't fill a need on the team long-term, consider actively recommending them to other partner studios.

"It's all a ploy for cheap labor"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Having PlayStation on your resume is cool, telling your friends about it is cool, and the free swag is cool.

Cons

Don't expect to be valued as an actual part of your team. I was often left with no projects and when I asked for more, my peers and manager would tell me they were busy and I couldn't help them. There was a lot of politics even from an intern level. Although the dress code is laid back, the culture in general is not. I saw many team members staying late to meet deadlines and could feel the stress in the air. Sony will tear you apart and does not value their employees. It also sucks because they offer a lot of contract roles and you never know what your status may be with that. Very little information was offered to me in my performance review and I was never told how I could improve or what could have gone better.

Advice to Management

Learn how to actually support your employees and develop people. Interns should be valued and considered for employment at the conclusion of the internship. Don't just take them for 12 weeks and dump them on the curb.

11. "Good company, better people"

Former Employee - Production in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not a lot of top-down management pressure
    A lot of flexibility in how you get your job done
    Good pay
    Great benefits
    Generally a good team culture

Cons

Big company, so politics abound
    Hard to ferret out what's really going on unless you're part of the "favored" group of individuals that knows all the secrets

Advice to Management

Use less buzz words and less "management techniques", just treat everyone like the people that they are, and respect their passion for what they come to work everyday to accomplish. Referring to a group of managers as "Leadership" every time a difficult topic comes up doesn't make the topic more palatable, it just sounds corporate and impersonal. It also presumes those individuals in management are actual leaders.