Sony PlayStation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle (in 17 reviews)

• senior management is incentivized to prioritize department performance over overall business performance (in 24 reviews)

"Just Don't Stay Too Long"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous brand - the prestige of working for PlayStation (let alone Sony) will follow you and can absolutely be leveraged to further your career; its a good call to come here for a relatively short period of your career (the earlier the better).

Some quality people - many of those that I would consider amongst my best friends came from my experience working here.

Benefits are solid - comprehensive, relatively cheap, and plentiful (incl. soft benefits like on-site gym, etc).

Annual bonuses - they are a generous percentage (when things go well; they don't make up for poor salaries though).

Genuinely fun work - if you're the type of person that can't appreciate the product you work on, then I don't know what to tell you (con: there are actually people that are like that at PS).

International exposure - once you've achieved a certain status (senior manager and above).

Location is good - in that it's equidistant from everywhere/everyone and thus at least an equally miserable commute regardless of your point of origin.

Cons

Politics - absolutely crippling. I feel like I could survive the current geo-political theater given some of my experiences at PS. Nearly everyone at a Director level and above is a careerist; many of whom have risen through attrition and can be given the benefit of the doubt due to inexperience elsewhere. Tactically, it's a situation where they will at best play well with those that are useful to them. In other cases they are literally holding the company hostage in exchange for their own personal advancement. In some remote cases, the behavior belies something even darker and more manipulative, where it can be outright creepy to be in their presence. This company could be on top of the world if it wasn't for the culture...

Pay - it's absolutely terrible. Poverty levels for many people (esp. in the Bay). Then again, there are plenty of people that have been there for 20 years, haven't done anything meaningful for 15, and makes ~ $350k w/bonus and has enough perks (such as travel) to pad out any possible lack of luxury in their life...

HR - thankfully, they fired a lot of HR people that really deserved it about 2+ years back, but its a long road to recovery, and the damage is probably already done...

Technology - they used IBM Lotus Notes until like 2013/2014. I once had to follow 17 steps to print out a single expense report through their legacy Oracle system. We live in Silicon Valley - is this a joke?

Culture - rewards underperformance and sycophantic behavior. There is a negative pull to PS and people quickly learn helplessness and move to a point of complacency; this is widespread enough that I'd describe long-term tenure as a potentially career-limiting move due to the sheet virality of the culture and the fact that what flies here would never be tolerated at any other tech company in the Valley.

Advice to Management

I used to manage a pretty sizable team here. My advice: Embrace anarchy - walk away for a few weeks and then behold the rebound of your business when you return. After you do that, learn you lesson and don't meddle. You actually have the opportunity inherent in your category and brand to do even more amazing things - what you've achieved is almost a fluke or statistical probability. Look at World Wide Studios for inspiration. Flat orgs that reward creativity and keep the politics to a minimum is key to your future success.

"Negative, stressful, unorganized environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Pros

The food, coffee, and special events.

Cons

Senior management is negative and puts others down as if it's a game. This demeaning attitude is also reflected in people who work closely with management. You're constantly criticized by others and never given support/encouragement. This was a regular complaint I heard from peers. You would constantly hear employees in Procurement and Project Management complaining about how stressed they were. The managers are incompetent and promoted without any experience in their field, with bunk degrees (DeVry, Phoenix, etc.). They also hire family members without experience in their field. This makes it difficult for anyone with actual qualifications to work effectively and make improvements. Many employees are incompetent and don't reply to emails or phone calls.

Advice to Management

Be supportive and encouraging. Drop the negative, demeaning attitudes. Hire competent, educated, experienced professionals.

3. "It was an amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

- Surrounded by approachable people willing to help you learn anything
    - Integrated into a working development team
    - Being proactive is welcomed and rewarded
    - Generate a ton of great references, and if you standout, they remember when it comes hiring time
    - PlayStation culture is great if you are into video games and stuff

Cons

- Maybe not the most likely internship to land you a permanent job, but they're pretty clear about that upfront (I still ended up with a contract job and eventually a permanent job)

Advice to Management

If interns impress but don't fill a need on the team long-term, consider actively recommending them to other partner studios.

"It's all a ploy for cheap labor"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Having PlayStation on your resume is cool, telling your friends about it is cool, and the free swag is cool.

Cons

Don't expect to be valued as an actual part of your team. I was often left with no projects and when I asked for more, my peers and manager would tell me they were busy and I couldn't help them. There was a lot of politics even from an intern level. Although the dress code is laid back, the culture in general is not. I saw many team members staying late to meet deadlines and could feel the stress in the air. Sony will tear you apart and does not value their employees. It also sucks because they offer a lot of contract roles and you never know what your status may be with that. Very little information was offered to me in my performance review and I was never told how I could improve or what could have gone better.

Advice to Management

Learn how to actually support your employees and develop people. Interns should be valued and considered for employment at the conclusion of the internship. Don't just take them for 12 weeks and dump them on the curb.

"Good company, better people"

Former Employee - Production in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not a lot of top-down management pressure
    A lot of flexibility in how you get your job done
    Good pay
    Great benefits
    Generally a good team culture

Cons

Big company, so politics abound
    Hard to ferret out what's really going on unless you're part of the "favored" group of individuals that knows all the secrets

Advice to Management

Use less buzz words and less "management techniques", just treat everyone like the people that they are, and respect their passion for what they come to work everyday to accomplish. Referring to a group of managers as "Leadership" every time a difficult topic comes up doesn't make the topic more palatable, it just sounds corporate and impersonal. It also presumes those individuals in management are actual leaders.

6. "A Solid Place to Work"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxing, fun atmosphere, with knowledgeable and professional co-workers. Amenities at work are good, and compensation is fair, if not good. The goals we worked toward were worthwhile.

Cons

The company doesn't do much to spread the benefits of working for them around. HQ got most of the attention when it came to amenities. Where I worked, on the operations side, there was not a lot of upward mobility. Most employees in my department were hired as contractors, and there seemed to be little consideration for them in the greater corporate plan.

"Fun For a While"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Super fun and great people
    - Strong team dynamic on some teams
    - Easy to get the ear of upper mgmt if you know the right people
    - Lets of challenges and areas to lead improvements across all functions
    - Relatively easy to look like a strong employee if you have basic stills (communication, documentation, follow-thru)

Cons

- Management is scattered and unclear on strategy and that shows at all levels (a lot of "do it because I said so" type management)
    - Company is complacient on current strong product lead creating lots of egos leading vs trying to look forward
    - Poor employee development, lots of people that have been there for years in the same type of role who are good but cannot be great because there is no movement or real direction on how to improve
    - Always saying to think "global" but no actual global execution or support from mgmt

Advice to Management

- Refocus on a clear strategic intent for the company
    - Promote based on skill level not length of time at company
    - Throwing employee parties is a short term fix for the lack of excitement employees feel, focus on empowerment instead

8. "Amazing intern program!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Pros

- I've interned for three other companies, and the PlayStation one was by far the best
    - Intern and company events are very fun
    - Learning new technologies outside of class with smart people
    - Amazing perks
    - Treated as a full time employee
    - Growing company with lots of opportunities

Cons

- This year's response times to possible full time conversion were slower but was mainly due to the merge
    - Communication with students who were graduating in the immediate future while they wait for a response would have been appreciated

Advice to Management

- Employees here are very passionate and want to contribute to the company more than just writing code.
    - Keep up the great work!

9. "Pretty super place to work for me"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong code of ethics from the top-down. Some people may feel restricted by that but I really appreciate and encourage it. Lots of good management who are genuinely passionate about the business, have input in setting their own inspired goals, and are not just trying to meet quotas handed to them from above. Headquarters was recently moved to USA, making one of the cons that almost everyone mentions here a little less con-ish.

Cons

Working with the parent company in Japan can be frustrating (but maybe less-so moving forward). It's an older company with an established management hierarchy, so don't expect to join on the ground floor and then be able to move up the ladder quickly. The food court in the Foster City isn't especially good or cheap.

Advice to Management

I'm happy enough with Playstation management and the big moves they made this year, and am excited to see how those play out over the next year or two. Would be nice if management could pull some strings and get a better chef for the FC campus food court -- in particular I miss the days when we brought in outside caterers for summer/winter parties. The food was almost always better (which is telling, since those weren't all that great either). No other real advice at this time.

10. "Intern Life at Sony"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

Pros

Awesome Company. Lots of talented people working there. Lots of Perk.
    Managers are nice.
    They take interns to the awesome E3 event.

Cons

Management was pretty slow making intern to full-time decision.