FilterSenior Staff Software Engineer
I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)
- A very good place for learning new things since a lot of freedom in provided to do work in your own way
- Compensation is competitive.
- Culture is very healthy and supporting for employees.
- Many people stay here for long time and have really good knowledge / expertise of their domain.
- Flexibility in work, office timings and work styles.
- No Clear Career path for Technical or management verticals
- Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects.
- A lot of cross functional politics is driving projects to be failure or un-successful.
- No Work from home option
- Though you may have high expectations of this company due to high quality products like PS3 etc, there is little inspiring inside when you work with people. In relation with other companies I have worked in past (Cisco, GE Healthcare, Symantec)
- At heart of this company its still stone aged in terms of technologies used inside (e.g. Lotus Notes - I hate it - trust me you will. , very mediocre intranet, no internal chat or IM, )
- No co-operation from sister concerns like SNE and others. A lot of politics in terms of who own the project/data rather then making a impact for benefit of greater Sony.
Advice to Management
- Need a drive to Speed up the innovation.
- Encourage cross functional coordination and efficiencies.
- Establish a synergy with sister concerns like SNE and many others otherwise it will be too late.
I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)
Creative, highly motivated environment. A dream job for an engineer. Japanese company loyal to employees. Good at life work balance.
Sinking industry. Sinking company. Short-sighted and inept management. Terrible at keeping talent. Disfunctinal teams all across departments. In spite of much effort, lots of silos across the organization.
Advice to Management
Invest in training mid and senior level managers. Establish process, expectations and accountabilities. Foster collaboration acroos teams/disciplines/geographies. Invest in training software engineers.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?