Sorenson Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and work-from-home opportunities (in 11 reviews)

• Helping the deaf and hard of hearing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management does not have enough management training; a culture of gossip, nepotism and favoritism at play (for hours, holiday work and raises) (in 5 reviews)

• NO BENEFITS, nowhere to move up, no raises (in 5 reviews)

"One of the best companies I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sorenson Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from various jobs in D.C. at Gallaudet University I was pleasantly surprised how Deaf-freindly this company is here in Utah where I now work. This company is one of the best examples I've seen where Deaf and hearing are truly working together, the hearing folks try hard to learn our language and understand our culture, not because they have to but because they really like working with us. No, this company isn't always perfect. Some people feel stuck or limited, there's always that type of employee in any company. I don't feel that way, I think Sorenson has really high expectations from their employees and this is more of a good thing than a bad thing. We are pushed to our highest potential. I feel like I can take on any job and roles if I ever decide to leave and thats saying a lot being Deaf myself. Thank you Sorenson!

Cons

I wish more Deaf would not be afraid to move to Utah or be willing to give Sorenson a shot in other states, we could use more #DeafTalent here!

Advice to Management

Sometimes this company gets a bad image (in the community) based on a few manager's poor decisions. My advice would be to communicate with your team before making big decisions. They have good ideas, often times ideas that you never considered.

"Satisfying work and casual atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taylorsville, UT

Pros

Open to hire and accommodate people with all types of disabilities.
    Always new projects to work on and good project management.
    Contribute to deaf and hard of hearing community

Cons

Slow to adopt modern software technologies.
    Relies on govt for revenue.
    No healthy workplace initiatives (ergonomics,exercise,friendly competitions ,etc.)

Advice to Management

Hire a UX designer to work with devs.

"ASL Interpreting - Perfect for the Right Person"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Lacey, WA

I worked at Sorenson Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours you can "bid" on, lots of training opportunities and feedback, professional development, encouragement to advance skills and upward mobility within company, perfect for students and parents, ergo compliant and screening, great pay especially for holidays and evening shifts.

Cons

Hours not always available during specific schedules needed, physical challenges of sitting at a desk in a cubicle, cubicle environment, strict security measures that are sometimes inconvenient, some technical ability helpful, working under pressure or time limitations, can be emotionally draining connecting with lots of different people in one shift, various language modalities and specific disabilities may prove challenging, technical issues with equipment and clients.

Advice to Management

Management currently takes all steps to resolve the "cons" that are within their control -- some are regulated by FCC and thus unable to be addressed by the employer.

"Not Bad, but Definitely Not Good!"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sorenson Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and work-from-home opportunities. I liked most of my co-workers and even management on a personal level. They provide tons of snacks and keep the breakroom full. The benefits were decent, also.

Cons

Horrible company culture and no professionalism or accountability for team members. Management doesn't manage their employees and sits by to try to figure out creative ways to get people to do their jobs. Pay was slightly below the market.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hold people accountable or it will continue to corrode the workplace. Bottom line.

5. "Great Company!!!"

Current Employee - Video Relay Interpreter in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Video Relay Interpreter in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Sorenson Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is responsive and supportive. Sorenson is truly a one of a kind company! Upper management listens to the Interpreters and it shows. Working with a bunch of other Interpreters is so nice.

Cons

This is really hard work, both emotionally and physically! You have to protect yourself from injury and make sure you have some kind of outside hobby that has nothing to do with sign language, so you don't get burned out! Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!!!!

Advice to Management

Management is really there for the Video Interpreters and is shows. Continue to be aware of their needs and give them lots of compliments, we need it, it helps a lot! Tell your VI's how important they are to the company. We, video Interpreters, are the face of Sorenson, if we don't have job satisfaction then the customer suffers, and than impacts our fantastic company!

6. "Friendly Boss, Few opportunities for career advancement"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sorenson Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility for part-time employees was awesome.
    401 K matching program
    Occasional company dinner or event.
    I liked my supervisor and boss, they were both chill.
    A couple standing desks were available to use.

Cons

Expectations from management on meeting metrics and solving customer's issues are unrealistic.
    No health benefits
    No Vacation or paid sick leave
    Few if any opportunities for career advancement as this is a remote office and not HQ in SLC.
    I wish everyone had a sit/stand desk.

Advice to Management

Avoid overmanaging and mixed messages from different layers of management. Allow your employees the time they need to resolve a customer's issue in one go instead of forcing them to play hot potato due to unrealistic time quotas.

Keep that friendly and up-beat can-do attitude :).

"Scary place to work!"

Former Employee - American Sign Language Interpreter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - American Sign Language Interpreter in Columbus, OH

I worked at Sorenson Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work if you like to play mind games, and be lovingly micro-managed! Also, they have really nice customers!

Cons

Working there will destroy brain cells and shorten your life. But what an adventure while it lasts!

Advice to Management

It's an amazing experience to take your brain out of your behind, and put it in that big hole in your head! Then go to Oz, and ask the wizard if he has a heart in his black bag for you!

8. "NOC Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - NOC Systems Engineer in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - NOC Systems Engineer in Murray, UT

I worked at Sorenson Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company was great to work for, people were helpful and available to help train you.
    Made you feel welcome. Interview was a bit challenging, but fair.
    Good benefits package. Military friendly.

Cons

None. Would go back to work for them again.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

9. "Technical Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Henrietta, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Henrietta, NY

I have been working at Sorenson Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in a full deaf office was pretty awesome to work with.

Cons

Difficult customers and a lot of people just don't care about the quality of their work.

Advice to Management

Management could reduce their micromanagement and unnecessary overhead to resolve customer's issues and passing on common issues to engineering and QA.

"Impossible work environment"

Former Employee - VRS Interpreter in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - VRS Interpreter in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sorenson Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, comfy office environment.

Cons

It seems that call time is valued over interpreting quality. I never felt that we had enough break time, and I would leave work exhausted.

Advice to Management

Get more training. I never felt like my managers really knew what they were doing.