Sotheby's Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sotheby's President and Chief Executive Officer Tad Smith
Tad Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The opportunity to learn about every aspect of art business and meet with big people in the art world (in 9 reviews)

• fine art, fast paced work environment, and lovely surroundings; for the most part, talented and passionate coworkers and peers (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay but that's expected in the industry (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours, unrealistic requirements, some staff less civilised than others (in 11 reviews)

1. "Amazing company"

I worked at Sotheby's part-time

Pros

high profile clients, great work environment

Cons

competitive, you eat what you kill

2. "Foster Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sotheby's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provide mass communication skills as an intern.

Cons

Working hours are crazy, and late night work everyday.

Advice to Management

more respect for the employee's private hours

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sotheby's (More than a year)

Pros

Seems like a sophisticated place to work based on the brand / name.

Cons

The culture is competitive and backstabby, no matter which department you are in. Managers do not have training, are competitive with their own employees. They do not set their employees up to succeed, Values are absent and / or not exercised.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. HR should building incentives to help employees, not just protect the institution. Define your core values.

"Sotheby's: Making rich people richer since 1744"

Former Employee - Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Sotheby's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, nice office, name recognition on resume. I worked with a great team, for the most part, who are all very dedicated to their work.

Cons

Antiquated systems, poor advancement prospects regardless of department, nepotism at all levels, work-life balance is nonexistent, poor job design, terrible organizational culture (built on entitlement and bullying), very high turnover rate for non-officer level employees

Advice to Management

Invest in culture building and IT systems. You can't sustain a business solely on the idea of making money and expect employees to stick around for the long term.

5. "Great people, strange culture"

Current Employee - Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sotheby's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

haughty, pretentious attitude and nepotism, over reliance on manual input systems for archival work, which is not efficient

"Unfamiliar upper management and no training priority"

I worked at Sotheby's full-time

Pros

Amazing exposure to Clients and beautiful art worldwide.

Cons

Managers are so pressed and stressed out that they cannot effectively communicate to their respective team(s). They expect you to know everything and nothing all at once. Unrealistic!

Advice to Management

Learn to delegate and check in on your team(s) more.

"HR"

I worked at Sotheby's full-time

Pros

Interesting and challenging work; surrounded by beautiful objects

Cons

Management is ineffective. Bullies

"Floater Program - Unparalleled Learning Experience"

I have been working at Sotheby's full-time

Pros

Upon graduating from college, I interviewed for and was subsequently hired to join the floater program. This is a unique and exciting opportunity at Sotheby's that allows you to learn about the company and eventually find the department that matches your interests and skill set to the company's needs. In my positive experience as a floater, the first few months allowed me to interact with interesting and eclectic clients as well as learn from highly intelligent and passionate specialists who I am fortunate to call my colleagues. Everyone's timeframe as a floater varies, which goes to say the rate of progression is highly attributed to your dedication and motivation. Sotheby’s provides you with a plethora of resources to utilize, including a very knowledgeable and experienced HR department comprised of individuals who are absolutely happy to help guide you. The instance that most stands out to me is when I expressed my initial concern about the ambiguous nature of the floater program to the hiring manager, who was extremely responsive and personally called me while I was traveling out of the country to offer her insightful and assuring advice. Since then, I’ve found my experience in rising from a floater to securing a full-time position to be nothing but extremely pleasant. After a few months of diligent work and learning the company values, I was successfully hired to fill an assistant position that I believed would allow me to continue growing and learning, and also strategically place me in the correct direction towards my desired career path. In addition to the unbelievably notable artwork that rotates through our galleries, what initially drew me and ultimately happily keeps me here is the extensive and powerful network, both internal and external. Unsurprisingly, the company’s reputation and ability to continually evolve to stay on top of the market is unparalleled, attracting only the best, and therefore lending to an absolutely thrilling time to be a part of the Sotheby’s team.

Cons

I would say the two biggest cons of starting as a floater are the lack of formal training and the opacity of the company hierarchy. Due to the nature of the more qualitative work, you are tested by your ability to learn quickly on the job, as well as execute in a professional manner. This can seem daunting at first, but I quickly found that my colleagues are wonderful in regards to always being available to answer any questions.

9. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at Sotheby's full-time

Pros

Great opportunities - I started as a temp and within a couple months I was able to get a full time position, everyone was really supportive and the temp position really helped me learn about the people and how the company worked before jumping into a full time position
    Great colleagues - everyone wants to be here and is always really willing to help out
    Great environment - past paced environment but very positive and exciting especially during sale season

Cons

There were several interviews required in the interview process

10. "Administrator"

I worked at Sotheby's full-time

Pros

Inspiring atmosphere, interesting people, fast-paced

Cons

Department heads can be demanding