SoulCycle Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

2.5
SoulCycle CEO Melanie Whelan
Melanie Whelan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The free classes are great along with the people (in 69 reviews)

• Being able to ride for free was a huge bonus while working part time (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The term Work/life balance is thrown around A LOT (in 13 reviews)

• None that I can think of for a part time job (in 15 reviews)

1. "great company to work for"

I have been working at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, work isn't very challenging, get to ride for free, discount on retail, good shift length, creative work environment, listens to employees, potential to grow within company

Cons

can have very early morning shifts

"Hischool bullies to the extreme!"

Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SoulCycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free classes, amazing instructors, and fun events

Cons

mistreatment
    Full of drama!
    You heard right- soul cycle will bully you out if you don't classify as "fun" enough. Never in my life has someone treated me like this. If you have a brain and don't act like a 14-year-old child at work this probably isn't a good fit.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and PRACTICE what you preach. We are all equal and full of love and no one deserves to be treated the way you have treated other managers who are smart, nice, fun and friendly but don't dance around in Tootoo's 12 times a day. Stop promoting dramatic passive aggressive insecure fake stupid people, what are you doing Soulcycle???

"Cliquey and Quick to Judge"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SoulCycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at SoulCycle there were a ton of pros! We got free classes, free classes for friends, free water, a bomb discount on clothes.... I'll write what then happened in the cons...

Cons

Then they limited our free classes, changed to only bringing 1 person, we couldn't even BUY classes when regular customers could (meaning if it was an awesome waitlisted class, forget it. we couldn't get in if we WANTED TO PAY! insanity!)
    They also started toying around with the clothing discount, changing the time frames for when we could buy at a discount (again meaning we wouldn't be able to buy things since it would sell out). Also they took away the 1 water a day, womp womp.
    Pay for the Bay Area for managers is a joke. You can't live there and work as a manager full time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. Do not have manager team meetings in the guise of confidentiality and support and then turn around and fire the one manager who is actually looking/asking/begging for support and trying to create a meaningful conversation about the future of the company.
    I was disappointed to leave SoulCycle, but happy I did because after they had an all-hands on phone call with the ENTIRE company ensuring us they were not going public, 2 months later without word or notice, they did. Completely blindsiding staff and forever changing the company.

4. "young and fun company"

Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SoulCycle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had awesome perks of taking classes, getting to know instructors and riders, fun and young staff, and a fun vibrant environment.

Cons

I felt that for the amount of effort I put into my hours and work I should have been compensated more. I also believe there should be commission based sales on the clothing.

Advice to Management

great job keeping a happy and positive environment. It shows among staff and guests can always rely on a good time here.

5. "review at soulcycle"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

amazing people, free classes, smells good

Cons

low pay, ugly yellow tshirts

"Amazing people, amazing community!"

I have been working at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The incredible people who make the job awesome! The riders are lovely people and it's rare to find a job you can't get enough of. I literally hang out at my job after hours. You learn a ton about the bikes and get to be a part of the greatest start up in the fitness world.

Cons

If you aren't a morning person, maybe this isn't the best job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep on being awesome!! You inspire the front desk with your work ethics and on top of that, are super fun!

"A SoulCycle culture fit!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SoulCycle is a quickly growing company, believes and trusts its employees, and the culture is bar none the most incredible to be apart of! SoulCycle's core is about creating a community and I have had the opportunity to do this as an employee at Soul. I have made lifelong friends via fellow managers, instructors, staff, employees, and even riders.
    There is no cookie cutter type of manager, which enables different personalities and management styles to drive the business.
    The reputation of the workout speaks for itself and I can only echo that magic is created in that room!

Cons

Working at SoulCycle requires a lifestyle adjustment, as it is a company that is open 365 days a year throughout different timezones. This isn't for everyone, but if you can adapt, the benefits outweigh the 5AM alarm clocks or the Saturday holidays in studio.

"It matters more whose clique you are in than how well you do your job."

I have been working at SoulCycle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Taking class. The workout is no joke; it changes you and is very spiritually freeing. Being a part of a fitness enterprise. Some of the people within the company are awesome. Mo, the retail manager, was funny, kind, and treated me like a person.

Cons

Cliques. It's not a fair job; you get bad shifts if the managers don't like you or think you are cool. Very fake environment. Nepotism. They never schedule me at front desk and then when they need me and I have an issue, rather than working to help me do better, they simply cattily ask you to do it right be next time. Managers pretend it's all about finding the yes and helping others, yet I have felt every shift I have worked that I am not appreciated or given responsibilities. There is one girl at my location which is the most recent studio, who is treated like a princess while I do menial tasks. I was adored at my last job, and here am treated like street scum.

Advice to Management

Be equally kind to all your employees because nepotism creates hostility between them. Just be nice and say hi to your staff when they come to work and PLEASE keep track of who ALWAYS gets front desk and who is always slated to awful duties like floating or cleaning on hands and knees. Awesome work out, some of the instructors are real, but on the whole it's seems job duties are based onl whose more popular.

SoulCycle Response

Jul 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you’re feeling- we are here to listen and help.

SoulCycle was built on a culture of community and kindness to others, and we strive to bring that... More

"Front Desk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You can take free classes!
    You get lots of gifts from riders! (Food & gift cards)
    You get to wear comfortable yoga pants and sneakers to work !

Cons

There is SO MUCH gossip!
    Your hours are okay.....
    Riders tend to bring you a lot of unhealthy treats, so don't be mad if you lose your figure