Sound Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Gloria G. Fletcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Seattle Weekly is an iconic brand - great people, who take pride in their work and SW's reflection of the Seattle community (in 3 reviews)

• Can stay close to home to pursue journalism (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, ever-present deadlines, lack of appreciation from higher ups (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management looking over your shoulder (in 3 reviews)

1. "East side is changing for the better"

Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The East side group is changing for the better as we are under new leadership and fresh outlooks. On both the editorial and sales front, relevant integrations are being made and slowly but surely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Some folks may be reluctant to change or become relevant. The environment feels mid 2000s and needs an update. Has been a rotating door for awhile now, not enough incentive from higher up to make a career here.

Advice to Management

Invest in quality software and machines. We live in the tech capital of the country and we are using archaic systems that need to be over hauled. Also invest in employees. The benefits are mildly standard for 10 years ago.

2. "Sales REP"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I currently work at Sound Publishing and in my time here , the company continues to improve!

In July 2017 we got a new Publisher and he has made a lot of positive changes. The management team and staff members are all friendly and helpful making each employee feel welcome.

This position requires you to be self motivated. Being able to multi task as well as cope with constant change is a must.

The favorite part of my job is getting out and talking to all of the local business owners! So if you like to be a part of a community this can be a super fun job!

Our new Publisher has been helping the team amp up sales by providing us with more digital and social media packages to sell across the board. AS well as making our weekly team meetings more about giving us the tools we need to be successful and holding each person accountable.

Cons

Cons: Working in the media industry is rewarding however the pay scales are lower than other industry standards. Sales goals are not always easy to hit.

Advice to Management

A bit more consistency in planning ahead.

3. "New leadership and vision!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for two publishing companies over the last 11 years and recently joined the Sound team. After five months, I feel incredibly welcome and honored to lead the team! The staff that still remain, across all departments, are some of the hardest working and dedicated journalists, sales execs and circulators I have ever worked with.

Cons

Unfortunately, it takes passion to work in journalism knowing the wages will typically be on the lower end. With new management comes new pay structures and better measurement opportunities for staff to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the company to improve on a daily basis and keep holding staff accountable for measurable performance.

4. "It starts off okay"

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will find most the worker bees to be friendly and helpful. Editors and reporters , creative teams and sales teams are all dedicated and passionate about working on community papers.

Cons

Management is a train wreck: multiple unprofessional management styles as well as a lack of concern for staff . Tools are outdated, goals are unrealistic , office morale has been on a downward spiral incline . Compensation is pathetic. Turnover is high in most positions.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on being penny wise and pound foolish, encourage teams to be teams and stop promoting hostile environments. A revolving door of constant new staff is not beneficial for Sound Publishing or the Sound Publishing clients.

5. "It started great"

I worked at Sound Publishing full-time

Pros

lower level employees perform admirably. You hone your skills for your given profession.

Cons

Upper management seems more concerned with saving money than maintaining a happy workforce. Cost-cutting, low wages, and downsizing have put certain papers in real danger of failure. A lack of open communication from the top down leaves employees feeling frustrated and like they don't matter

Advice to Management

Please, pay attention to your employees, ask for feedback, and actually try to make things better. Also, pay your employees what they are worth.

6. "You will starve"

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

I worked at Sound Publishing full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to excel and shape your beat.

Cons

Pay is ridiculously low. With 20+ years of reporting experience, I was pulling down $11/hour. After six months of proving my worth, I asked my editor for a raise. After three weeks of negotiating withe the publisher, she came back and said she could give me $11.25/hour. She said she had tried for $11.30/hour but the publisher wouldn't budge. I quit soon thereafter.

Advice to Management

You'll get what you pay for in terms of reporting talent.

7. "Happy with mediocrity"

Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers sincerely want to do good work.

Cons

Very cheap. Few raises, tiny raises. Hire 'em young an cheap.

Advice to Management

Get out of your echo chamber.

8. "Wasted Potential"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented individuals work there. Opportunities to learn something new daily from those people is priceless.

Cons

Divide and conquer management style tends to hamper in depth collaboration and teamwork is practically discouraged.

Advice to Management

Try appreciating the unique individuals who work hard to create quality.

9. "Great Career Starting Point"

Former Employee - Creative Artist in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Creative Artist in Everett, WA

I worked at Sound Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management, co-workers, resources, atmosphere/environment, flexibility

Cons

Pay, growth, Canadian holidays, old building, slow servers

Advice to Management

This job was an amazing opportunity as my first graphic design position out of college. I gained a great amount of knowledge of the print and design industry during my time here. My direct manager, Kyra Sweatt is an amazing boss, she's super understanding and supports her employees 100% of the time and is really easy to go to for advice. That being said, there is a high turnover problem. My two cents on the issue comes down to expensive benefits and low pay. They're not going to be able to keep valuable artists on board if they don't start paying a higher wage. They're not seeing the level of designer that they need as a long term employee simply because those people can go elsewhere and make easily almost double the salary that Sound pays out.

10. "Reporter"

I have been working at Sound Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great colleagues, always learning something

Cons

Very low pay, ever-present deadlines, lack of appreciation from higher ups.

Advice to Management

Be more generous with your employees; care about news, not just ad revenue