KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

SoundCloud

Is this your company?

SoundCloud

Add a Review

SoundCloud Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 16, 2019

Found 4 of over 116 reviews

4.1
SoundCloud CEO Mike Weissman (no image)
Mike Weissman
Pros
  • "Very good work-life balance - for engineers working over-hours or on weekends almost never happens and would be considered as a negative sign(in 8 reviews)

• "Open culture, cool tech stack, Friday demos, beers on Fridays, free lunch twice a week, great work culture, easy to show off your skills(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Too many unexperienced people working in middle/upper management(in 4 reviews)

• "Career growth hugely depends on teams and manager you have rather than your talent(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good original idea, unable to execute to stay current and viable

Jan 16, 2019 - Engineer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative work environment. Lot's of highly skilled people who are happy to share and learn together.

Cons

Terrible track record with middle and upper management. High percentage of people in positions of power were first-timers. Very real world experience or maturity in the leadership; resulting in competition within the company rather than externally. Lot's of posturing and land-grabbing.

Continue reading
      5 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Some will have have an excellent experience, some will not.

Mar 31, 2014 -  in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are young, smart and fun. Socialising is fantastic, especially if you're particularly in-tune with the Berlin music scene. The product is also very high profile and well-loved in some circles.

Cons

The company suffers from transitionary challenges - most specifically, the conflict between the original startup family "inner circle", and more recent recruits; those who were on-board in the early days have carte blanche, whereas those hired since are treated with suspicion. This doesn't benefit anyone. Upper management may feel the need to dabble in the work of those lower down the "food-chain", yet doesn't make time to actually get to know the position that workers are actually in. Management may also overestimate their ability to attract talent, and as such does not care as much as it should about nurturing and retaining talent. There may also be a unhealthy attitude to working hours - not length, ironically, but the *later* the better. Arriving in the morning and hoping to be home for dinner is not a good idea. Much better to arrive after lunch and leave before midnight - this will win you favour with upper management...

17 people found this review helpful

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Engineering and Product challenges, but also Organisational challenges

Feb 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can honestly say that SoundCloud has been my best job so far. I've grown immensely as an individual and also grown in my career. I've learned many things that will serve me very well in my current role and future roles as well. I've also made some very good friends, and developed a very strong connection to the company and product.

Cons

Unfortunately SoundCloud is up against some giants in the same industry - both competitors and suppliers who have to be worked with. It is expensive to run this kind of business and even with the amount of funding that has come in, we could not go wild with hiring. So we had to do a lot with very minimal people to get it done - but still, we accomplished a lot. It does take its toll on you though (not so much in terms of late nights, weekends etc - but it is hard to get your head out of work mode). Upper management also was not as present as it could have been and there were some missteps around some reorganisations and some bad eggs in management unfortunately caused a bit of destruction (they are gone now). I hope that they can correct these issues as it really can be a great place to work and has a lot of passionate individuals.

Continue reading
      2 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee

Most chaotic company I ever worked for.

Nov 14, 2015 -  in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Super flexible working hours, free lunches twice a week, snacks, drinks

Cons

A cool company from outside, a nightmare to work for in the inside: - Too many unexperienced people working in middle/upper management. - Too many company politics. - Reactive approach instead of following a business strategy. - No real motivation to be there, everybody complains about the company and is looking for a new job at the moment. No cool vibe, lots of negativity around, no sense of community. - Only people friends with the upper management get promoted. - Very male-macho dominated company: be a man, talk a lot, sale yourself, and then you can get appreciated and promoted. Experience or skills are not valued.

18 people found this review helpful