Sounds True Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Tami Simon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Welcoming, imcomparable work atmosphere and Great teams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I knew right away there was a reason so many employees have been with Sounds True for so long. Not sure there is another workplace like it that fosters individuality, learning, expression, and fun. Comfortable place to work with no strict dress code, dogs and cats in people's office, frequent opportunities to stay healthy in and around the office. People are welcoming, inclusive, and easy to work and collaborate with. Not sure I can find any other place like it!

Cons

Going through a growth phase right now, so there is a bit of disorganization, crowding, etc. However, I am expecting this to settle and even out over the course of the next few years. Also, depending on your team, difficult to work out of office.

Advice to Management

Keep working through the growth period and perhaps consider some Work at a Distance options to help with the space limitations.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Sounds True full-time

Pros

Great company, good benefits, awesome people

Cons

unstructured, high turnover, lots of drama and ego's

"Limited vision & slow progress"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sounds True full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some bright and talented people

Cons

The inability to grow and adapt to with modern web standards made it impossible to evolve the digital marketing.

Advice to Management

Many of your employees understand the digital landscape, don't stop them from helping you grow.

4. "Mission Driven Company"

I worked at Sounds True full-time

Pros

I loved working for Sounds True because the other employees are amazing.

Cons

Boulder County is too expensive to live in on a Sounds True salary.

"It's All in the Name"

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a number of truly spiritual-minded employees, though they are mostly not in upper management positions, and are not valued for their dedication to the company mission, or its ideals.

Cons

If you compare this company to any widget-selling enterprise, it fairs pretty well. The dilemma arises when you expect it to be better, to do things differently, to actually practice what it preaches (or rather, what it sells in its teachings). With that method of measurement, it falls miserably short.

Does it consistently promote from within? Does it pay a fairer wage in these extremely economically challenging times? Does it truly promote a healthy work/life balance? Does it cultivate equality and respect for every individual, or is it run top down? Does it operate with integrity, or does it engage in questionable business practices, such as interviewing company employees with no intention of promoting them? Does it make significant charitable contributions to the less fortunate?

Advice to Management

You (and all employees) should ask yourselves this question:

If the owner could not profit from these teachings, what would her interest level in them be? Before you dismiss the idea of even asking this question as spiritual sacrilege, consider this: What was the owner’s initial relationship with these teachings? (Compare that with your own.) Was it to help her in her deep, long, difficult search to find the truth and awaken, or was it to make money?

Once you answer this question honestly, your whole perception of the company comes crashing down like a house of marked cards. Then you are left with coming to terms with this reality, and your actual role in the company's mission to disseminate wisdom, which may include more honesty and transparency with the owner and the employees.

Now that Sounds True.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sounds True full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of Sounds True is the best I've ever experienced in the workplace. The employees are passionate about their work, and everyone is free to be true to who they are (no dress code, dogs at work, telecommuting, etc.). You also walk away from the work experience a better person than when you arrived.

Cons

There are very few cons to working at Sounds True. I suppose if you don't believe in Sounds True's mission, you probably won't feel at home there. The pay scale is also somewhat weak in comparison to cost of living in the surrounding area, but the perks and sense of true value and appreciation you receive far make up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Working at Sounds True was one of the best experiences of my career thus far.

"We are lucky to get to work at Sounds True"

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, this is by far the best place I've worked for in my 16 year career. I have my dream job at my dream company. I honestly don't think I could find this anywhere else. The folks who lead and manage departments are adults who discuss all points of view when they disagree to come to an agreement, teams are collaborative and folks work hard then play hard too. This is the first place I've ever worked where work-life balance is a reality!

Some top reasons why Sounds True is an amazing place:
    - Open-minded friendly work environment - most people walk with their heads up and smiling (or laughing with others)
    - Company morale is the highest I've witnessed (and was a central focus point of the leadership team to continuously improve)
    - The company is growing rapidly (doing the right things) and has an awesome profit sharing plan for all employees (Tami Simon is extremely generous)
    - Managers are hiring the right skill set for each position and protecting the unique culture by adding people that fit well with existing employees
    - Everyone takes Sounds True's mission seriously and feels genuinely happy and excited to help the world in whatever ways possible
    - I've commonly heard people say they feel they can be their true selves at Sounds True, and many people are excited to come to work (instead of dreading it like a lot of companies I've worked for in the past)
    - There are many opportunities for personal growth during work hours where I can apply Sounds True product teachings to my daily work life
    - Dogs, access to Sounds True full digital library, minutes of silence before meetings, author presentations for employees, etc;

Cons

There had been high turnover in 2015 (but it is the same turnover rate as other companies in the Front Range Colorado area). 2016 seems to be a growing year for Sounds True (hiring more people for new positions at the company). Overall, most people seem happy to be at Sounds True and it feels like we have a great team of people (and we are hiring good fits for new positions opening up)!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - I feel extremely lucky to get to work here

"Company is improving, but not perfect"

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Generous dog policy. As long as your dog doesn't bite or crap everywhere, it'll be allowed to come to work.
    - Nice coworkers and fairly non-competitive. You are very unlikely to get fired over politics or anything like that.
    - Everyone is very respecting of literally any beliefs. You could be wiccan, athiest, buddhist, christian, whatever. Nobody will so much as bat an eye.
    - Pretty good place for somebody new into the workforce. There's a lot of learning to be done, and this benefits people who are fairly new to the job market.
    - If you like the published material, you'll get an unlimited supply of it. If you don't care about it, none of it is forced on anybody.
    - Company is pretty good about allowing a beer at lunch... just not every day.
    - Company encourages everyone to take care of themselves and go on regular walks.
    - The owner is genuinely trying to improve things.
    - The benefits package isn't perfect, but is pretty good. It's a bit on the pricey side for families, but given medical costs it's understandable.
    - On good years, the company does a pretty decent profit share.
    - The IT team is incredibly nice and help out with everything you ask from them!

Cons

- Your quality of life will depend on who your manager is. This is true of all jobs, but don't expect some hippie paradise.
    - There is limited room for growth once you hit mid-level jobs. This is partially due to being a fairly small company, but top tier talent does regularly leave for new jobs.
    - Shared spaces aren't respected by all employees. There are issues with the kitchen and bathrooms in particular. Expect messes.
    - On a similar note, the building and grounds can also be sorta ratty. There are also bats in the attic.
    - Pay is on the lower side. This seems to be improving, but it is worth noting for some of the positions.
    - The review process is truly eye-rolling. Instead of a performance review, you will sit with a group and tell them all what you appreciate about them and what you think they could improve on. If you enjoy watching people gush over how much they like their coworkers instead of finding out how to do your job, you'll probably actually enjoy this process.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to treat employees fairly. This includes helping people plan out their careers over time. This will help you retain quality employees.

"Great people on the software dev team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sounds True full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great software team manager, she was really approachable and attentive, great at managing software engineers. Collaborative atmosphere, awesome work/life balance. Really nice group of people to work with on the development team. Good place to start if you're fresh out of school or new to Agile/Scrum. Bring dogs to work.

Cons

Interior of building is kind of shabby, furniture is old and needs replacing, carpet needs to be replaced in carpeted areas.

Advice to Management

Invest in new carpet and furniture.

"IT Developer"

Former Employee - IT Developer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Louisville, CO

Pros

The company is honestly trying to be a compassionate workplace that provides something that makes the world a better place.

Cons

At the time I worked there it seemed that IT was separated from of the rest of the company. It was a period of transition that was not complete when I left.

Advice to Management

At some level employees need a better translation of the altruistic vision into operational direction. Not everyone is able to work effectively without specific guidance.