SourceMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 15, 2019

2.7
Gemma Postlethwaite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance and managers who care about their teams" (in 22 reviews)

• "Regular social gatherings such as pizza making, wine tasting, Hudson river cruisers by the statue of liberty, bowling, etc" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "It would be nice to have a good 401K match" (in 18 reviews)

• "The only cons are that there is annual no cost of living adjustments and the 401k match is small" (in 9 reviews)

1. "A great place to work if you are looking for change"

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The new CEO has taken the reigns and she will change the company for the better. Since meeting with her, I am bracing myself for the growth and modernistic approaches to come. She takes the time to listen to our needs/wants and is proactively cleaning up the company and taking it to a wonderful new direction. It makes things more exciting and I welcome the changes.

-The people are really friendly. Pretty down to earth

-We make the best with what we have

-bright, sunny office space with views of the Hudson.

Cons

-It's time for some modern upgrades to the office space (which are soon to come)

-Some of the employees are stuck to their ways and not open for change

Advice to Management

Welcome change that is for the good. Do not be closed minded to new ideas and new creativity. Keep listening to the employees and being proactive. We appreciate when that is done.

"Great Professionals, Questionable Leadership, Cart before the Horse..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance, Direct managers care about the team, Great Views, Brand reputations are strong, Potential for success on brand level remains.

Cons

Cart before the Horse seems to be the senior leaderships management style. Inter-Org Collaboration is labored instead of seamless. Lack of connection to the clients demands and what C-suite wants to do. Ability to deliver from C-suite never materializes.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you're going to "turn it around". Stop managing to expectations of the board and give real feedback. Get in the weeds with your editorial, marketing, and sales staff and shut up and learn while there. Let them work while you learn about the business from the market level and use your leadership to capitalize on their intelligence and hard work.

3. "A Good Place"

I worked at SourceMedia full-time

Pros

Strong editors, good work environment

Cons

Long commute and long hours

4. "Reporter"

I worked at SourceMedia full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

However, senior management did not quite have a sense of direction.

5. "Heading in a great direction"

Current Employee - Marketer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketer in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super smart team making great content that matters (Most powerful women in banking, rising stars, best places to work). Beloved brands in the industries we work in. Relaxed environment. New management with big ideas.

Cons

Some legacy points of view on the media business that need to change. Seems like most people are on board with the approach.

Advice to Management

Make the changes to needed to deliver on the strategy to engage customers, even at a cost to some revenue.

"RUN!"

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't say anything nice about this place.

Cons

Ineffective communication, low salary for non-management staff, no 401k match, no annual reviews or raises, no bonuses for sales support staff, high turnover, tone at the top is that the little people don't count.

7. "Opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a graphic designer, I learned a lot about the publishing industry. worked on fun projects. they also allowed me to learn and transition to web design which became useful once I was offered a new job,

Cons

Some long days with deadlines. Some people did not have good work ethics and wanted to be bossy.

Advice to Management

Pay a higher salary to people who work hard. Managers who look to think outside the box.

"Changes are underway but there still keeping the poison in charge"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The view of the city is amazing. The people are helpful and friendly to work with.

Cons

There are many challenges here.
    Specifically with Systems : No matter how much management tries to improve systems. The systems are not designed or developed correctly for the task at hand. Our subscription group has seen 10 different systems and implementations with softwares that the overall result are backfired. An example is the change from old salesforce to lightning. Operations or management didn't think it was worth cleaning up the bad data. The new salesforce is clunkier and slower. Now it takes me 12 mins to process an order for a customer. We had a leads program and that was taken away because there were too many!!!

Management: Recent layoffs were given to the wrong people... Talent walked out Majority of them knew and actually made changes for the positive impact of our group. We are now left with two incompetent and overwhelmed managers . We have one manager hiding at home and another yelling at us. We also do not have a Senior leader who cares or understands what we do, instead chooses to remove incentives for sales to make extra money. (because there are no yearly raises or appraisal) CEO is trying to make positive changes but are not removing any of the senior executives- who continue to operate back in 2003. Customers are frustrated by the lack of service. Operations do not speak to thier own team/employees to improve processes, rather hides behind a computer screen. Collection or payments are a disaster.
    People: Folks are too afraid to ask for a raise or speak up. Everyone is looking elsewhere or just coasting until the end of each day.

"Great for recent grads and the seriously mentally ill"

Former Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll very quickly learn how not to manage people, departments and a company. Many good people work there, so you'll make connections and learn from the right people.

Cons

Very simply - this company generates the bulk of their revenue by subletting the real estate they rented several years ago when they had five floors in NYC (currently the entire staff is crammed into a single floor).

Long time upper management is given free range to loot the coffers of the company with their expense accounts while hard working employees are routinely downsized. It's not unusual to get your sales goals/plans in late spring (they should be distributed in January). Said sales plans are leveraged to ensure you don't make your goal and get your bonus.

Advice to Management

Sell your publications to companies that know how to make money and turn Source into a holding company for your real estate holdings. Stop pretending you're going to "turn it around".

"Was"

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time

Pros

Laid back environment
    A handful of of indivuals know what they are doing.
    Previous Editors and Helpdesk desk were knowledgeable.
    It has no been that way in a very long time.
    The last 3 years or so painfully tragic.

Cons

Never saw so many bad decisions at one company.
    Current Editors smug and have run the brands into the ground.

Advice to Management

Wrong people in wrong positions making horrible decisions which have resulted in the demise of this company.