South Bay Community Services Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

2.7
South Bay Community Services President and Chief Operating Officer Sara Hart (no image)
Sara Hart
Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, huge breadth of experience,(in 20 reviews)

• "Good for clinicians who are fresh out of school and want some experience(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of no shows which can affect your PTO if you fall beneath the minimum (20)(in 29 reviews)

• "Too much resposibility placed on clinicians(in 29 reviews)

1. "Rewarding career opportunities"

5.0

I have been working at South Bay Community Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

South Bay was founded over 30 years ago and employees who take the time to understand the mission and values will find no more inspiring place to work. No job is perfect but you will get out of the experience what you put in. If you work hard, are organized, are a team player, and have good communication skills, you will be successful. I've worked for South Bay for many years. I've seen many a nay sayer that expects more than they give. Every employee I know that works hard is respected and taken care of. No employer is perfect and the opportunity to grow and the opportunity to make a difference in a human services field is likely second to none. The company places a premium on supervision and families/consumers/clinical excellence come first. There are many employees that have been with the company 10+ years. Ask them why they stay for a true picture of working here. The Early Childhood Division is top notch.

Cons

Outreach is hard work. Human services is hard work. It requires grit and perseverance. It's not a career for the faint hearted. The other side of that coin is that you can't get this kind of experience and caring teams/support for the work you do elsewhere.

July 17, 2017South Bay

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We could not have better stated why working at South Bay is a life-changing experience, not only for our consumers, but also for each of our invaluable employees like you. Yes, the work we do in providing the essential services to those who would not have otherwise received them requires a level of dedication and resilience that may be different to some. But, the reward in knowing that we are positively impacting lives by simply meeting our consumers where they are far outweighs any potential challenge we may face. Thank you for your years of service to South Bay and our consumers. We greatly value your commitment!

2. "Fine first job"

Current Employee - Staff Therapist

I have been working at South Bay Community Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

You’re trusted to do your work, a lot of training and support at the beginning, supervision offered

Cons

Very independent work/can be difficult to feel like a team, pay could be better

Continue reading
  3. "Great opportunities and team atmosphere"

4.0
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at South Bay Community Services full-time

Pros

Great group of people, frequent opportunities for career growth and professional development, wide range of clinical experience

Cons

High expectations, unhappy with holiday and 401k benefits

June 30, 2020South Bay

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback! We're thrilled to read that you've enjoyed your time working at South Bay. Much of our success is because of dedicated employees like you. That's why our leadership team is always seeking more ways to show our team how much they are valued. We will take your feedback into consideration as we continue to enhance how South Bay operates. We appreciate your commitment to South Bay and to your clients!

4. "Worst professional experience of my life!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I worked at South Bay Community Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping clients is why I got into this field in the first place. I enjoyed the actual clinical work.

Cons

Manager was a straight up abusive bully. Gossiped inappropriately about other employees and bad-mouthed clients. Nastiest person I've met in my career. Tried to complain to higher ups and they ratted me out to the person I complained about. They did nothing to fix the problem and did not care about my experience at all.

Continue reading
  5. "Meaningful work + Positive changes"

5.0
    Current Employee - Family Service Provider

I have been working at South Bay Community Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was honestly pretty scared to start working at South Bay after reading a number of negative Glassdoor reviews, but I've personally had a really positive experience at SBCS so far. The Family Service Provider position encompasses two roles created by the Children's Behavioral Health Initiative : Therapeutic Mentor (TM) and Therapeutic Training & Support (TT&S). This means that FSPs work both with youth in the community as a TM, and youth and their families in the families' homes as a TT&S. FSPs get to set their own schedules, so this could be a great job for somebody who has some time management skills and doesn't mind working independently at times. The coworkers and diverse range of cases are a dream come true for somebody getting started in the mental health field! The supervisor and manager at Leominster are incredibly competent and empathetic leaders, although I can't speak for the experience of other branches. The new CEO Sara Hart has seemed to advocate for positive changes within the company, especially when it comes to employees who are actively providing community-based services. The company has recently restructured the FSP pay structure, effectively giving most full time FSPs a thousands of dollars/year raise. The company has also recently increased paid time off accrual and the number of paid holidays per year for staff.

Cons

There is little room for growth in the FSP position after a certain number of years without going to grad school for a master's degree. Each branch operates as its own insular bubble, so it's hard for employees in direct service positions to know what's going on at other locations. There can be miscommunications and mixups in communication between administration and individual branches, in part because of this insularity and in part because SBCS is one branch of a larger organization, Community Intervention Services (CIS). I don't believe South Bay currently provides paid maternal leave, so employees anticipating adding to their family have to use PTO, take paid time off, and/or cut their leaves short.

May 27, 2020South Bay

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts in such a genuine and thoughtful manner. We take great pride in our wonderful employees who come to work every day ready to serve those who need us most. That's why we are continually brainstorming ways to demonstrate how much we value our clinicians' dedication to South Bay and to their communities. We want our company culture to reflect the wants and needs of our employees. Your suggestions are so helpful, and we will take them into consideration as we continue to enhance our internal operations. Thank you again for sharing such great feedback.

6. "Closed doors"

4.0
    Current Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Brockton, MA

Pros

Supervision, flexibility, client care, amazing boss

Cons

Job security, please keep employees employed! Now we have to start all over!!!

May 27, 2020South Bay

We encourage open and honest communication throughout our company, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Each one of our employees is extremely important to us – especially during this time of change – and personnel decisions are very difficult to make. We hope you've felt supported and valued during this transition. If you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call our president and COO, Sara Hart, at 508-521-2200. We can't reiterate enough how appreciative we are of your contributions to South Bay and to your clients.

7. "Poor management, lack of supervision"

1.0
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at South Bay Community Services full-time

Pros

Fulfilling work with children and families

Cons

Poor management and lack of supervision. Worked with many unlicensed therapists who were working out of scope of practice.

June 18, 2020South Bay

South Bay has remained a pillar in the behavioral health community for more than 30 years, and we agree that our work in serving families and children is truly fulfilling. It's very important that we note the state of Massachusetts does allow for unlicensed clinicians to practice under the supervision of an independently licensed supervisor. Additionally, providing our staff with proper supervision is a top priority for our leadership team. At a minimum, South Bay provides weekly clinical supervision for all full-time employees, delivered by independently licensed clinicians and managers. In turn, we provide supplemental supervision for licensure when resources are available. Our leadership team keenly understands the importance of proper guidance, and we have processes in place to ensure our employees are appropriately supervised. If you would like to further discuss this matter, please contact our company president, Sara Hart. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

"Great source of experience, but still some kinks to work out"

Former Employee - Clinician/Supervisor

I worked at South Bay Community Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great way to gain a wealth of experience working with a variety of different clients in community settings, though it does take a unique individual to provide MH services in the home rather than an office. Free in-house trainings for those in need of CEUs. Increasing transparency from senior management. Great team members to collaborate with.

Cons

After almost 9 years with the agency, I was laid off due to one of the flagship sites not having enough clinicians, leading to a decrease in revenue, and the need for a second supervisor no longer justifiable. Though this was frustrating to hear, it was also understandable. The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was being told that I could apply to be a clinician again (which I was for 5.5 years) and would have to go through the same process I did when I was a new hire, like I didn't know all of the ins and outs of agency procedures from the clinician's perspective. Not a great way to treat a loyal employee who stuck with the company through questionable business practices under the company's founder (held charges, you know exactly what I mean), the buyout and rebranding, and continued restructuring of pay models/benefits/divisions/senior management without ever having a negative thing to say about the company and often defending it to those who had negative comments. If this is how the company treats those who have been truly loyal and expects them to stick around, then it is time for some serious reflection.

April 15, 2020South Bay

We encourage open and honest communication throughout our company, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Each one of our employees is extremely important to us – especially during these unprecedented times – and personnel decisions of this nature are very difficult to make. You are absolutely correct in saying that our wonderful employees make South Bay the company it is today, and we never want them to feel anything less than supported, valued and respected. We hope you felt this during your transition, but if you have additional feedback, please don't hesitate to call our president and COO, Sara Hart, at 508-521-2200. We can't reiterate enough how appreciative we are of your contributions to South Bay and to your clients, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

"Not a good place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - In Home Therapist

I worked at South Bay Community Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a couple of good supervisors, make your own schedule

Cons

Poor support from higher ups, wildly varying case loads, deceptive pay structure, high turnover, minimal supervision, higher ups take no responsibility for problems. South Bay reduces employees to part time status if they don't meet the minimum hours requirement, even if the minimum can't be met due to low case load and no available clients. Company has been sued for issues around defrauding MassHealth twice and underpaying employees within the last five to ten years and was forced to pay $4mil back to the state of Massachusetts.

April 2, 2020South Bay

We’re sorry to read your comments, as all South Bay employees should feel supported and confident in their roles, and the experience you’ve described does not reflect the culture we’ve worked to build at our company. Our leadership team knows our employees’ commitment and dedication to South Bay and to their clients is the reason we’ve been able to diligently serve our community for more than 30 years. And, we don’t take that for granted. While our clients’ well-being is a top priority, our employees’ happiness and success are equally important. We have and will remain dedicated to delivering the highest quality of care to our clients and supporting our amazing employees. We can confidently say we pay our employees lawfully, and we carefully follow federal and state wage and hour laws. You are encouraged to contact the company to discuss your specific concerns. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

10. "Good place post grad but benefits could be better"

Current Employee - Outpatient Therapist

Pros

Lots of freedom to manage schedule, great coworkers, lots of experience, good place to work post grad

Cons

Benefits are okay, basically fee for service and PTO is put towards productivity if you don't meet required billable hours, travel

March 11, 2020South Bay

We echo your comments that South Bay is a wonderful place to start and excel in your new career. Our leadership team greatly values our employees' dedication to service. And, they are continually evaluating new ways to demonstrate how much your hard work means to our company, clients and community. Thank you for your commitment to service.

Found 192 reviews